400 GB Hard Drive

4 replies [Last post]
Mark A

I have 933 MHz G4 Mac with 768 MB SDRam, I currently only have a 60 gb internal hard drive and plan to to add a second 400gb internal hard drive for my video work. Will this seagate Baracuda ATA drive be suitable?

Barracuda 400gb ATA Drive

Thanks
Mark

mooblie
mooblie's picture

Exactly which model G4?

(I ask because the early ones have a 128GB upper size limit for the internal hard disk controller, but the later ones didn't.)

PaulD probably knows off the top of his head where this increase in spec came in the G4 evolution!

BTW: the disk (if you have a later G4) should be fine (but it's £60 cheaper at ebuyer!) ;)

Martin - DVdoctor in moderation. Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

PaulD

Hi
The G4 Quicksilver 933 was a second revision QS, and it may be able to take hard drives larger than 137GB - but it was an undocumented feature. You may find it will work, but there again it may not....
www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/big_ide_drive_support.html

If not you have to buy a Sonnet or Acard ATA133 PCI card to connect the new big drive to, or use third-party drivers, like the one from Intech:
www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/2179

Mark A

Thanks for the quick replies and info. I am actually now thinking that perhaps I should use a Raid system. I work at a college and we are in the process of digitising some of or existing video material, and also creating new materials. I am getting to the point where I'll be working on several different projects over each week. Projects are often on my hard drive for several weeks before completion due to the fact that many of our teaching staff are part time and so can't work flat out on a project. Basically any data lost would really hold things up and I also have DVD images of completed projects that really need to be properly backed up. Can you offer any advise on this?

PaulD

Hi
RAID 0 is only really needed for high data-rate editing, using uncompressed formats with a high-end capture card. For DV use RAID 0 isn't such a good idea as it is not as secure as mirroring (backing up) your data to two or more seperate hard drives, unless you use a 3-5 drive RAID setup (RAID 5 or so). If you are thinking of RAID 1 (simultaneously mirroring the data to two drives) then that isn't usual for video editing. Its probably better to manually supervise you own data backup of project files and graphics, and any video media you no longer have the tapes to recapture from.

For DV use, and for backup, FireWire drives are very useful, but its best to work from a second internal drive for editing your active project if possible.