ADS TECHNOLOGIES PYRO 1394 DRIVE KIT

7 replies [Last post]
twistedmedia

Anyone have any expeirience with these kits? How easy are they to setup? How well do they perform?

Thanks,

Tom.

Tom.

rextilleon

I have about five drives housed in the ADS enclosure---works flawlessly!

tilski
tilski's picture

Mine works a treat on my iBook. Haven't tried it on my PC yet.

Be sure you set the jumper on the hard drive to master before you screw it into the unit.

I didn't do this at first and it took me a good few hours of troubleshooting to figure out what I was doing wrong.

All the best

tilski

What's to become of us.... What is to become of us?

elbow

Sorry if this is stupid but is it possible to house a DVD burner drive in this set-up? I'm thinking of Pioneer AO3/4/5 - This would be excellent.

Dual eyes and ears, single nose and one very large mouth.

bcrabtree

Got an AO3 here in a Pyro Drive Bay and it works just fine - and I have used other DVD and CD burners in it too, and these have all been okay.

Bob C

fisherman

This "little black box" just got my daughter out of a big jam.

Home from university for a couple of days, brings home old PC for even older dad to "clean up". Upon power up, nothing on screen. Looks like the journey home has finally done it in. The graphics card is built into the motherboard. (monitor works OK).

So, with daughter in panic mode, I take out the old hard drive, and pop it into the Pyro drive. Never done this before, (except when I first got it) but it was dead easy. 5 minutes later, all files backed up to CD and I am, once again, the apple of my daughters eye....

Aren't computers great (when they do what the're supposed to do)

Paul

cDynamics

I've got a Pioneer A03 in the Drive Kit, and it works great (I'm running Win 2K). I also updated the Pioneer Firmware to 1.90 while in the Drive Kit. Don't try to upgrade the Pioneer Firmware if you are using Win98/ME -- for some reason the firmware upgrade doesn't take, and things could get messy. With Win2k the Drive Kit stays "connected" during the upgrade, and all is well. I believe this is true with 1394 devices in general under Win98 (and not specific to the Pyro Drive Kit).

Regards,
George

p.s. ADS Technologies is about to release the Dual Link Drive Kit (1394 Firewire and USB 2.0). http://www.adstech.com/media/mediafiles/PR-NAB03Duallink.htm

Michael H S

I've got 2xHDDs and a Pioneer 104 on the ADS external FW Drive kits and they work a treat, capture video without dropping frames, the 104 plays DVDs better than the built in DVD drive, (which can be very picky indeed)and burns CDs better than the built in CD drive.

With Prassi Primo I can even burn 2 CDs at the same time - brilliant!