ATA100 & ATA133 - please explain

5 replies [Last post]
gwaters001

What does the ATA100/133 drives refer too? What restricts a PC to one or the other? Can an ATA100 PC become a ATA133 PC?

harlequin
harlequin's picture

ata rates are the max rate either the controller or the device can handle

i.e ata 33 motherboard = ata 33 max speed from any drive( i.e 66,100, and 133 drives work only at a max of ata33 when connected to this controller)
ata 66 motherboard = max ata 66 from drive , but a ata33 drive will still only get ata33 from the ata66 controller

and so on

so to get best from equipment , both drive and controller should be as fast as capable of running.

it is worth buying a addon controller for a motherboard with low ata rate to get the maximum out of the drives , likewise , worth buying a new faster drive for a new motherboard.

Gary MacKenzie

sepulce@hotmail.com ( an account only used for forum messages )

Thinkserver TS140 , 750ti Graphics card  & LG 27" uws led backlight , Edius 8

Humax Foxsat HD Pvr / Humax Fox T2 dvbt

gwaters001

Thanks,

I have a PC that currently only supports ATA100. I'm planning to buy a new one within 6 months but I need the hard drive now. Is it best to buy a 133 drive that I use in my current machine then move it to the new one? How much are addon controllers and is it worth buying one given I'm replacing the PC?

harlequin
harlequin's picture

quote:Originally posted by gwaters001:
Thanks,

I have a PC that currently only supports ATA100. I'm planning to buy a new one within 6 months but I need the hard drive now. Is it best to buy a 133 drive that I use in my current machine then move it to the new one? How much are addon controllers and is it worth buying one given I'm replacing the PC?

i would buy the faster drive , use it in present machine , save the money you would spend on a addon card , and wait till you buy the new machine.

anything ata33 and above is fast enough for video , ata 100 is the fastest i run at the moment on any of my machines.

Gary MacKenzie

sepulce@hotmail.com ( an account only used for forum messages )

Thinkserver TS140 , 750ti Graphics card  & LG 27" uws led backlight , Edius 8

Humax Foxsat HD Pvr / Humax Fox T2 dvbt

gwaters001

Thanks very much. That is what I'll do!

Robert Charles

I was looking for a board with ATA133, but did not find a suitable one. In the end I bought the Asus P4PE with on board firewire, but it does have serial ATA which is rated at working at ATA 150, but you can't get the hard drives that easily yet working at 150. The majority of Motherboards are still ATA100. I used to capture on my P3 500Mhz machine with a ATA66 contoller card, and that is more than enough to capture with. Anything else is just a bonus and aids in faster data transfers. My recent Motherboard as I have said, works at ATA100, but to make use of the ATA133 speed of my Maxtor 120GB 8Mb Hard disk, I have bought a Promise contoller card. The disk lights flash less frequently, this must be due to the 8Mb buffer filling up and data being accessed from the buffer, thus less thrashing of the hard disk and over-all longer life of the disk (or so I am assuming). So go for the 8Mb disks. Soon you will want the ATA150 disk !! Which is just 10Mb/sec less than SCSI !!

Enjoy.....