Balancing FX1 on Glidecam 4000

7 replies [Last post]
Shaun Palmer

Hi,

I have just got myself a glide cam 4000 - but I am having a world of problems keeping it stable - currently it is all over the place... :mad:

Could anybody reccomend some 'settings' for attaching an FX1? I.e. how many weights to apply at the front and back, the best place to position the FX1...

I am looking forward to using the kit and experimenting with it, but at the moment, it isn't gooing anywhere :(

Gordonjcoe

Hi Shaun

I use 5 weights on each side, roughly halfway along on each side. Plus I lengthened the pole a little.
Make sure you balance it with your LCD screen flipped out, and don't forget to use your other hand (thumb and forefinger) to stop it swinging around when you walk - the Glidecam is a 2 handed instrument.

Shaun Palmer

Thanks for the advise Gordon,

I just tried it, and it deffinetly woks better than I had it - but its still not as good as hand held work. I'm accepting the blame is down to me and not the glidecam - I'd just like to fine tune how to wrok it properly now.

The left hand - should this be applying pressure at all, or just be there for guideance?

The whole unit, should it have perfect verticle and horizontal ballance before any manouver is attempted?

Thanks is advance :)

Gordonjcoe

Hi Shaun..when you got your Glidecam did you get a manual with it? I didn't with mine but I managed to get hold of one as a PDF and it's really well put together. Should answer your questions better than I can. If you don't have it then let me know and I'll email it to you.

I haven't had my Glidecam for long either but have had very few problems with it. I'm still practicing before I use it for work proper in a couple of weeks. I suspect the secret of good Glidecam work is practice so just keep going until the footage looks right.

I wouldn't use the Glidecam for every shot either - be selective with it.

If you're still not happy after a few weeks there's always the Figrig or various other supports like the Orbiter.

Gordonjcoe

Oh yeah (and to answer your question) try to get as good a horizontal and vertical balance as possible else it will swing about. It's important to get a perfect centre of gravity. I really didn't have that many problems balancing mine once I got the manual - it just took a while. Now I've got the manfrotto universal plate adapter so I can just slot the camera in and out without needing to rebalance every time.

steelej

Hi Shaun, Balance is the key with any stabiliser, it must be in perfect balance, you can trim the balance if you're doing a shot that requires a slight tilt but the last thing you'll want is to do is use too much pressure with your controlling hand to hold a shot, because that'll just lead to it wabbling all over the place. The controlling hand should have a very very light touch, fingertips only and it's all very delicate moves.

Another aspect that will determine how well it performs for you is the drop time, this is also very important. Do you have it at around 3 seconds?

John.

Nigel Longman
Have you seen the video?

Disheartening to hear of your difficulties as I have been considering purchasing a 4000.

Have you seen the Glidecam video here http://www.glidecam.com/videos.php called 'Stability of Balance' which you may find helpful?

NL

Mad_mardy

they can be frustrating to balance, you just need some patience and practise
and remeber there is a certain way of walking with the stabiliser, keeping the knees bent to absorb movement and the upper body as still as possible. try thinking of how a car suspension works.
When turning make sure the whole body turns and that the glidecam stays in more or less the same position relative to your body keep going the results are worth it.

System 1: AMD X6 2.8, M4A79 Deluxe, 4GB DDR2, ATI HD4870 1GB DDR 3, 2TB total drive space, Matrox RTX 2, Premiere Pro CS4

System 2: AMD X2 5600, M2NPV-VM, 2GB DDR2, Geforce 8600GT 256 DDR 3, 450GB Total drive space, RTX100 with Premiere Pro 2

Camera's: JVC HD200, JVC HD101, 2X Sony HC62