Is this a bargain - Disgo Net Browser 3000 ?

5 replies [Last post]
johnd

I was in HMV this afternoon and saw this little 7" netbook for £99.99, I thought it quite nifty (there's a word that isn't used enough these days).

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=325;16;-1;-1;-1&sku=19691#anchorSynopsis

I thought it might be ideal as a birthday present for a 13 year old who logs onto youtube and other sites like facebook. I know the 64mb of ram and 2gb hardrive seems small but I assume this is appropiate for the scaled down size (a further 8gb of drive can be added with an sd card)

Am I missing something or is this a bargain?

John

PaulD

Hi
The list of things it doesn't do...
The Net Browser cannot be used for Online Gaming or otherwise. The Net Browser will not be able to display Flash-based websites. Not suitable for corporate email access.

johnd

Hi Paul,
good point about things it can't do. I think on reflection I'll pass it; I can see the intended recipient asking me why it can't do various things. I have found reviews hard to find apart from a couple of comments on play.com
I am slightly surprised that the cost of Netbooks generally have gone up rather than down, possibly an exchange rate thing or because the free operating system versions have been replaced by Windows based ones.
John

johnd

It is very scary that it has a better spec than my first PC which set me back £1,100 about 10 years ago,
John

g3vbl

Best information on this device seems to be here:

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/10823678/Disgo-Net-Browser-3000-64MB-2GB-7-Windows-CE-Netbook/Product.html

It runs WindowsCE 5.0

Johnd's comment reminds me that my first laptop cost £1000 back in 1988 and had a huge 10MB hard drive.

Yes, that is MB. :)

Garethll
Disgo netbrowser 3000

Has anyone found out how to access email on the disgo netbrowser 3000? I have 4 well known service providers including btinternet and hotmail. Hotmail lets me see the titles of incoming emails but not access the contents. Others do not let me access the inbox.