Been testing a WD200JB IDE HDD with 8MB cache - blimey, it's fast!

17 replies [Last post]
bcrabtree

We received today a Western Digital IDE HDD for review.

Nominal capacity is 200GByte, but it actually formats down to 186GByte if it's set up as a single partition.

Model No. is WD200JB, and it is a 7,200rpm 3.25in jobbie with an 8MB cache.

Blimey, it's fast!

Using ATTO Disk Benchmark running under WinXP Home, I'm seeing read and write speeds in excess of 52MByte/sec!!

I've got it connected to the Promise Ultra 100 controller card that was in my Athlon 1.1GHz machine - but had to update the Bios of the Promise card before it could see the full capacity of the drive (but doing the update took no time at all, and was very straightforward - albeit that it require a reboot into DOS from a floppy).

The slowest I can get the WD drive to run is a shade under 30MByte/sec.

This is the speed of a 9.7GByte partition that I created at the end of the drive and formatted as NTFS.

I wonder what sort of performance a few of these fellas would give if raided together???

Blimey!

Oh, and it's pretty quiet while running, but does get hot to the touch - not painfully hot, though, but hotter than some other modern (but rather smaller) drives I've been using.

I can't find anything in the documentation that came with the drive or on WD's web site about working temperatures, so it's not something I think I'd worry about.

Oh (2) - I just set the drive up again as a single NTFS partion, and ran Pinnacle Studio 8, cost I know that Studio gives a report on home much video - in hours and minutes - a drive can hold.

According to Studio, the empty WD drive is ready to take approx 14hrs and 10 mins of DV footage, or 161hrs and 50 mins of preview quality footage!

That's pretty close to what I make it by my calculations but, interesting, Studio misreports the disk size completely! It says that the free space is 95286.4MB (ie 93GByte) which is almost exactly half of the actual amount of disc space that is free.

Another bug for Pinnacle to address, me thinks.

Oh (3) I understand that LaCie has available already (or very soon) a 250GByte FireWire drive (in the d2 series).

This, I guess is based on a Maxtor IDE unit that, as far as I can see, hasn't been sold on a stand-alone basis yet (and it is only a guess - cos LaCie hasn't yet responded to my question about this).

A bigger brother to this Maxtor - 320GByte - is also due soon and, I think REALLY fast Serial IDE versions of these and other Maxtor giant capacity drives are due later this year or in early 2003.

Gulp!
Bob C

[This message has been edited by bcrabtree (edited 04 October 2002).]

Jim Bird

Hi,

I heard about this drive about 2 months ago, it may have been it's smaller brother (120GByte).

When I tried to buy one, everyone I tried to buy it from said, they would only recommend some other drive, IBM or Maxtor etc., never did get my hands on one.

The IT manager that recommended it to me said it was faster than "s**t off a shovel" and competivly priced (cheap)

Jim Bird.

cstv

Any ideas where i can get one Bob? or at least a rough estimate on price would do for the moment as i'm pricing up for a server for a video editing system and need a pretty fast HDD for it...

cheers, mark.

mooblie
mooblie's picture

Komplett expecting stock mid October at £354, but they have the much cheaper 120GB drive in stock at £135 inc VAT.

Search for "200GB" or "120GB".

Martin - DVdoctor in moderation. Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Jroot

"i'm pricing up for a server for a video editing system and need a pretty fast HDD for it..."

From I've read it's still cheaper to get two 7200 rpm 120 GB or even two 7200 rpm 160 GB drives then to get one or these new WD 200s.

I remember when 1 GB was HUGE.

Jim Bird

Hi,

Video Server, depending on to amount of users accessing the server at any one time, a SCSI drive could perhaps be the best answer!

Jim Bird

DAVE M

Jroot wrote
"I remember when 1 GB was HUGE.."

a colleague of mine spent £2,500 on his first (audio based) 2G HD. That was a lot of spondoolies in those days.

PaulD

Hi
I remember when 10Mb was huge! (1985)
In 1993 my first video-edit computer (Mac or nothing in those days) had two 2.7 Gb full height (4") Seagates - cost £5400 the pair! And a 1x Philips CD writer was just under £4000... A 16Mb simm was £750 and Premiere was at version 3.1.
The Mac edit system still works to this day though with newer drives of course (and Premiere 4.2).
Actually it would do your NTSC capture (see DVD forum thread) very well because it can capture at about 3:1 compresssion into 4.4.4 RGB colour space....
Regards

Keitht

Ah the good old days. I remember when... but seriously it will always be the case that 2 drives of half the capacity of the newest will be less than one of the latest flavour. The more information you try to pack on, the lower the tolerances they need to work to.
Back on the 'I remember when'.. I have been with my current employer 10 years and back in 1992/3 we laughed at the power of a 4/25 machine when compared to a 3/20 and never believed we would ever fill a 30 meg hard drive.

------------------
Regards

Keith

Regards Keith

mbridge

Toms Hardware have just reviewed the Western Digital drive, and also show what the other drive makers will be releasing. You can find their review @ http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/02q4/021011/index.html

baz1

I have just tacken delivery of the new western digital 200gb
This drive was fine formatted 186gig BUT When I put files
On it over 130gb the whole drive became corupt tested
This three times any ideas ps be carful ps ps my motherboard
Is a abit Bl7 raid

stalkeye

Can anyone please explain in novice terms what is the benefit of the 8mb buffer & how this drive would compare to a scsi drive for rendering times etc.

gordo

The advantage of having a large cache is that you can read from and write to RAM a lot faster than you can read/write to disk.

So if you request data from the disk, once the drive has retrieved it from the physical disk, and you have gone away, it will then take a guess at the data you want next and read it from the disk and store it in RAM. When you come back and ask for more data, it first checks if it already has the data in RAM(cache) if it is, then it can give it to you alot faster.

hth

Gordo

bcrabtree

quote:Originally posted by baz1:
I have just tacken delivery of the new western digital 200gb
This drive was fine formatted 186gig BUT When I put files
On it over 130gb the whole drive became corupt tested
This three times any ideas ps be carful ps ps my motherboard
Is a abit Bl7 raid

Did you use WD's own utilities to make the drive visible to the PC, or does your motherboard natively support large drives (over 137GByte)?

Do you also realise that a number of people have already posted responses to your original message about this drive at: http://www.dvdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000774.html

Please look at that thread and respond to those postings.

Bob C

[This message has been edited by bcrabtree (edited 01 November 2002).]

stalkeye

Many thanks Gordo.

Stuart B-M

quote:Originally posted by mooblie:
Komplett expecting stock mid October at £354, but they have the much cheaper 120GB drive in stock at £135 inc VAT.

Search for "200GB" or "120GB".

Dear Martin,

Think thats the price for the 2mb cache versions ? the 8mb is about £20 more.

Kind regards

mooblie
mooblie's picture

Thanks for pointing that out Stuart - but I think what's going on here is simply this - the price has gone up!

I BOUGHT a WD 120GB+8MBcache drive from them in October at that lower price! Must be too popular, drying up supply, and so they've put the price up?

(I THOUGHT it was a good deal at £135 - but I hav the invoice to prove it!)

: )

Martin - DVdoctor in moderation. Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Stuart B-M

Dear Martin... you lucky,lucky...
guess which price i paid