Beware Ebuyer's £150 offer on Canon PixmaMP780 all-in-one.It doesn't print to CD/DVD!

24 replies [Last post]
bcrabtree

Here's the latest update - there is a way of turning on the direct-to-disc printing of US models - see my posting of September 20 further down

There is a MAJOR update to this - so please note:

The printer was delivered today. The courier tried to deliver two of them - despite my attempts to cancel one of the orders - so I refused one of them, and it's just as well I did.

The product is NOT as specified by Ebuyer!

It does NOT print directly to CDs and DVDs, which almost certainly explains why it's £50 cheaper than anyone else's price!

Now I've got to figure out:

a/ Whether or not I keep this or get Ebuyer to take it back

b/ Either way, how to get Ebuyer to refund my credit card for the order I tried to cancel .

Grrr!!!

Of course, this begs the question - when will we ever learn?

If a deal looks too good to be true, it almost inevitably is.

Bob C. 15-08-08
===============================
Below is my original post.

As you can see, I've revised my opinion on the splendour of this offer, because the printer does not, as specified, print to CDs and DVDs.

The original post was formerly headed:
Fantastically cheap price, £150 inc VAT, ex delivery, for Canon PixmaMP780 all-in-one

Ebuyer currently has a fantastically cheap price for Canon Pixma MP780 all-in-one printer as mentioned by me in this thread.

I already had one on order with Amazon, and had been pleased with the price - £208 inc VAT and delivery, which was the best I could find last week - but ebuyer's price of £150 (inc VAT, but with about £6 on top for delivery) makes this look very silly.

Better still, Ebuyer has them in stock and can deliver early next week (seemingly) but amazon is still awaiting stock and I might have had to wait until near to the end of the month.

Ebuyer appears to have 106 in stock and it's my guess that they'll be snapped up very quickly - so grab one while you can (if, indeed, that's the product you fancy).

Bob C

Chirpy
bcrabtree wrote:
Better still, Ebuyer has them in stock and can deliver early next week (seemingly) but amazon is still awaiting stock and I might have had to wait until near to the end of the month.
Bob C

You hope - I ordered a Belkin Pre-N MIMO Wireless Cable/DSL Internet Gateway Router & PCI Adapter Bundle on Wedneday 3rd August and decided to have it delivered on Wednesday 10th August because that was the cheapest option re. delivery charges. There were supposedly plenty in stock at the time and another item ordered the same day did arrive on the specified date. A phonecall to ebuyer revealed the Belkin was coming from a different warehouse but had not been dispatched yet. "It'll be there tomorrow." Nothing arrived Thursday so I called again. "Sorry, it will definitely be there Friday." Today brought no joy either, only an email:

Quote:
From ebuyer:
Mr Finch

I can confirm that when the order was placed one of the items were out of stock. The warehouse manager has cancelled the order and redirected the order to another supplier. This order will now be received on Monday.

Kind regards

Dave

Customer support

There goes my important project planned for the weekend.

Chirpy

P.S. According to ebuyer they still have 343 in stock!

Chirpy's Big Breakfast can be heard on Radio England International. These are repeat shows (he's retired now) played Monday to Friday 8am-12 noon and repeated in the evening from 8pm-midnight. Also, Sunday 8am-12 noon. (Click link to listen) www.onlineradio5.com/2013/06/radio-england-international.html

bcrabtree

Dave,

Touch-wood, I've never had a substantive problem with any ebuyer order - though I am curious to see if how well the company responds to the enote sent from within my account's admin area which asks them to make sure they don't send me TWO printers.

I ended up placing a second order thinking the first hadn't completed (my fault in part, cos I zoomed away at the point with the first order where the credit card was needing to be verified).

Mind you, if I do get two sent, I may end up simply selling one on at a profit on ebay (or would do if I'd ever got around to using it).

;-)

Bob

bcrabtree

Well, it looks like two printers are on their way to me!

D'oh!

Bob

bcrabtree
Be warned - this printer does NOT print to CDs and DVDs!!

There is a MAJOR update to this - so please note:

The printer was delivered today. The courier tried to deliver two of them - despite my attempts to cancel one of the orders - so I refused one of them, and it's just as well I did.

The product is NOT as specificied by Ebuyer!

It does NOT print directly to CDs and DVDs, which almost certainly explains why it's £50 cheaper than anyone else's price!

Now I've got to figure out:

a/ Whether or not I keep this or get Ebuyer to take it back

b/ Either way, how to get Ebuyer to refund my credit card for the order I tried to cancel .

Grrr!!!

Bob C.

johnpr98

Bob

Beware, as you have a tiger by the tail, You won't hurry them up.
See ebuyer mixup & delay
http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=24786&highlight=ebuyer

I've just realised, I order a digi camera for my daughter, delivery this Friday :eek:

Regards

johnpr98

If you have any Forum Suggestions please post them here

bcrabtree
Can the US model be modded to print DVDs? Mmmmm.

I don't know if it's possible to get the US printer to print direct to disc by adding the print tray and installing the UK software but at least I do know how much these two items will cost.

Each one is £12 (£14.10 with delivery and VAT).

So, if Canon tells me that this idea will work (and I've tapped up a contact there to find out) - and if I can get some kind person to duplicate and send me a CD of the UK software (anyone out there able to do this?) - it might be that I could mod the US model for £14.10.

Two companies are selling these items, CRC and H. Lehmans, each quoting the same price. Their contact details are listed on this Canon page.

However, CRC offered to sell me both with only one delivery charge if I ordered them together.

Now awaiting Canon's response with baited breath.

Obviously, if this idea is a go-er, then I'll post something to ebuyer's review page about the Canon printer (as a follow up to the one I filled in today warning people).

Bob C
(who's never modded a printer before, but likes the idea of trying it!)

bcrabtree
It appears that ebuyer now know about this and is doing nothing!

It appears that ebuyer now know about this and is doing nothing to correct the situation.

How so?

Well, when I went to the company's site this morning, there was one review that had been posted (dated Saturday but not visible, I think, until this morning) and which pointed out that the product was the US version and thus did not include CD/DVD printing.

I've just revisited the relevant page and that review - which, admittedly, was a little harsh in its wording - appears to have been pulled.

So, that must mean that someone has read it and - in at least one way - acted upon it but the production description still says (my emboldening):

"Productive features include a 35-page Automatic Document Feeder, dual paper trays, direct printing on CD-R/DVDs and an automatic duplex unit."

I suspect, now, that Ebuyer is skating on VERY thin legal ice and is in danger of getting itself into rather deep, hot water - if you'll forgive the somewhat contradictory mixed metaphors.

Bob C

mooblie
mooblie's picture

I wondered about that: it had, and still has at 16:45, no reviews at all.

Martin - DVdoctor in moderation. Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

harlequin
harlequin's picture

But not in Product Specifications , where no mention of cd/dvd can be found.

I smell a Kodak incident ......................

Gary MacKenzie

sepulce@hotmail.com ( an account only used for forum messages )

Thinkserver TS140 , 750ti Graphics card  & LG 27" uws led backlight , Edius 8

Humax Foxsat HD Pvr / Humax Fox T2 dvbt

bcrabtree

I posted up something about this over on the HEXUS.community forums, too, and have just responded to someone's comment there about the fact that ebuyer shows on its "Contact us" page the supposed wait times you can expect when calling.

I thought my comments there might be of interest here, so I've copied them below.

Bob
===============
Andy,

You might think that those figures are poor - and they are, of course - and you might think it stupid to display those figures on the company's contact-us page.

However, the truth of the matter is the figures are grossly misleading since the waits involved are HUGELY worse than the figures suggest.

The current stats for today say:
Longest wait today: 10 minutes 30 secs
Average wait today: 4 minutes 49 secs

But, of course, what the figures don't include are any stats about the number of times anyone has to attempt to call and ends up failing even to be put into a queue!

I've been calling on and off throughout the day and have not once been placed in a queue.

One of two things happens - in each case it starts off with me being told by an answering system, "Calls may be recorded for training purposes".

In one case the call is immediately terminated with this advice (generated, I think by my phone supplier), "Please replace the handset".

In the other case, I'm auto-advised by Ebuyer to call back later because all operators are busy.

So, in effect, the wait isn't measure in minutes, it's measure in hours - and, quite possibly, in days.

I've never had any problems before with ebuyer but can now see why others who frequent the DVdoctor boards are so very reluctant to deal with the company.

But, what I want to know is why doesn't Scan stock Canon printers?.

Bob
==========
That's it. BC

Chirpy
Geographic number for ebuyer

If you want to call ebuyer but don't want to be stung for their non-geographic rates - especially as you'll be on hold for about ten minutes - here's their ordinary rate number: 0114 2016965

When you call you'll get a recorded message saying you've dialled an invalid inbound number but then it gives you the option to hang on while they put you through to the customer support line.

BTW. This number only works between 9am - 5pm but on the three occasions I've called them I've managed to get through within ten minutes.

Chirpy

P.S. My WiFi router turned up today - together with another TFT screen (I'd only ordered one which arrived last Wednesday) I think I'll keep the screen as I decided it was worth the money and I was going to order another one anyway. This way I can get it at the price I payed for the first one - it's gone up a tenner since! All I've got to do is let them know they've sent me two by mistake - good job I'm honest!

I was going to order a printer as well and came here to find the URL. I'm glad I did now because Bob's update made me change my mind.

Chirpy's Big Breakfast can be heard on Radio England International. These are repeat shows (he's retired now) played Monday to Friday 8am-12 noon and repeated in the evening from 8pm-midnight. Also, Sunday 8am-12 noon. (Click link to listen) www.onlineradio5.com/2013/06/radio-england-international.html

bcrabtree
harlequin wrote:
But not in Product Specifications , where no mention of cd/dvd can be found.

I smell a Kodak incident ......................

Well, I thought that, in a way, the people who dived in on that Kodak offer were taking the Mickey - it was a genuine mistake - and, all things considered, Kodak ended up acting very honourably.

Here, I'm concerned that Ebuyer is not even going to admit there's a mistake and is going to try to weedle out of its legal responsibilities every time it can.

Interesting that you highlight that there's no mention of the CD/DVD in the specs.

What's worth noting, though, is that they do remain in the product description on the main page about the product - which everyone sees when they go to the substantive link to the product.

Bob C

bcrabtree

Dave,

Nice one!

I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Cheers

Bob

Dave -

Chirpy wrote:
If you want to call ebuyer but don't want to be stung for their non-geographic rates - especially as you'll be on hold for about ten minutes - here's their ordinary rate number: 0114 2016965

When you call you'll get a recorded message saying you've dialled an invalid inbound number but then it gives you the option to hang on while they put you through to the customer support line.

BTW. This number only works between 9am - 5pm.

Chirpy

You're welcome Bob,

BTW, I've updated my previous message.

I once had a thread pointing to this site Say "NO" to 0870. It lists all the geographic phone numbers of companies who have changed to 0870 or 0845. In some case it lists a freephone number too.

bcrabtree
One refund agreed - one to go. May be.

One refund agreed - one to go

I got this response from ebuyer via email (about the duplicated order):

===========
We have been contacted by Initial City link who have confirmed that the goods have been refused by yourself.

As this is the case we have requested your order returned to us and a refund will be processed once this is received back.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you have been caused by this situation.

If you do have any further difficulty please get back in touch.

Kind Regards
- SNIP-
========
So, that's one down and one to go (assuming I do get refunded, of course).

Bob C

Bob C

harlequin
harlequin's picture
bcrabtree wrote:
Well, I thought that, in a way, the people who dived in on that Kodak offer were taking the Mickey - it was a genuine mistake - and, all things considered, Kodak ended up acting very honourably.

Here, I'm concerned that Ebuyer is not even going to admit there's a mistake and is going to try to weedle out of its legal responsibilities every time it can.

Interesting that you highlight that there's no mention of the CD/DVD in the specs.

What's worth noting, though, is that they do remain in the product description on the main page about the product - which everyone sees when they go to the substantive link to the product.

Bob C

what i meant was that Kodak had a mistake on one page , but not on another.
seems ebuyer don't check the info before making it live.

that is therefore not a mistake, it's a conscious decision.

Gary MacKenzie

sepulce@hotmail.com ( an account only used for forum messages )

Thinkserver TS140 , 750ti Graphics card  & LG 27" uws led backlight , Edius 8

Humax Foxsat HD Pvr / Humax Fox T2 dvbt

johnpr98

Kodak advertised at one price then tried to backtrack after I had given them my credit card details, the camera's weren't even that good.

btw I just ordered a new Kodak for my daughter at the same price, the new one is 5MP & has 3 x optical zoom, the one I originally bought was 3MP & no optical.

I wasn't taking the mickey out of Kodak, I had a contract with them, which they finally honoured :rolleyes:

Internet shops advertise goods, buyers make decisions on what they read. (Back to sleep).

johnpr98

If you have any Forum Suggestions please post them here

bcrabtree

Just received an email from ebuyer saying that the company will refund me for the printer (the one delivered) but that I need to call the support line to sort out the collection.

NOT looking forward to trying to do THAT.

Bob C

bcrabtree

I now believe, with some degree of certainty, that it's not possible to get the US-spec model of the Pixma MP780 to print to CDs/DVDs simply by acquiring a disc tray and installing the UK (or, rather, a non-US) Canon software package.

It may well be that the mechanics are there inside the printer but that's irrelevant since, seemingly, the firmware on the US-sourced printer is set up in such a way that it informs software that it can't print directly to disc

The two programs that come with the UK (and Australian) software packages and have the ability to print directly to disc are Easy-PhotoPrint and CD-LabelPrint.

Here's what happened when I tried these two programs:

* The UK version of the Easy-PhotoPrint program - just like the US version - isn't able to select the CD disc tray. So the option shown below (taken from the UK manual), to pick the disc tray as the "Paper source", isn't available in the list in the drop down menu.

And,

* The CD-LabelPrint program (not supplied with the US printer) shows the following warning on start up about no compatible printer being found.

I've tried this under Win XP Pro and Win 98SE and the results are the same.

And I've also tried it on a PC on which only UK software was installed

I also bought a CD tray, as well as the software, and putting this in isn't the magic bullet needed to get the two programs to believe they can print direct to disc.

So, although Ebuyer's price for the Pixma PM780 might superficially seem very seem keen, it is, indeed, a mug's eyeful.

Buying the US model from Ebuyer and then getting hold of the software and a tray might in total be cheaper than buying a UK-spec model but the money spent on software and tray would be wasted because these items do not bring up a PM780 fully to the UK spec.

Bob C (who just HAD to know whether this was possible - as well as wanting to be able to tell you)

Gordonjcoe

Oh God and I found an offer of £30 for what looks like a full set of original Epson ink for the R300 on ebuyer too! Was going to put it in the Bargains section too, now I'm too scared to order!

bcrabtree

Gordon,

I'm not sure this will completely stop me ordering from ebuyer, merely make me a bit more cautious, especially when I see products that have no reviews listed against them and yet have been on the market some while.

The worry, too, about hardware (rather than inks and other such stuff) is that if what you are buying is a grey import - ie not imported through official channels - then you rely utterly on the reseller for support, both within the warranty period and after.

Some things it might not matter, say a relatively inexpensive digital stills camera, where the saving from a grey import is so massive that the risk might be worth taking, especially since you'd expect next year's model to be two-thirds the price and with spec that's half as good again.

I think the answer, as I implied earlier, is to be especially cautious when a deal looks to be too good to be true.

At that point, you look hard for what the catches might be.

Oh, and just for the record, Ebuyer is now showing that it has only one left of the 168 Canon MP780s it was showing when I put in my order - so it's falsely sold 167 of them in under a week, cos, even now, the product description mentions the CD/DVD direct printing.

I wonder how many reviews Ebuyer failed to publish about this product?

Mine wasn't published, and the one I saw up there before I posted mine was pulled down, so, certainly in legal terms, it looks to me like the company MUST have know it was selling falsely for many days.

Bob C

Gordonjcoe

Thanks Bob...bit the bullet and bought the ink. It arrived this morning and I'm really pleased. I've posted the details in my other thread.

bcrabtree

I discovered a way of turning on the direct-to-disc printing on the US-spec Pixma MP780 (and others in that range) and went to post links to the information on HEXUS and here, only to find that someone had already put the URLs over on HEXUS many days ago!

So, rather than reinvent the wheel, here's a link to that HEXUS forum posting.

This is a link to the full thread.

Bob C

bcrabtree
Printer now been collected by ebuyer - now awaiting refund

One, hopefully, penultimate posting.

Using the enote system (and a very helpful lady who'd taken charge of the matter at ebuyer), I did get the company to agree a collection date - last Thursday - and a courier duly turned up and took away the product.

I'll report back here to advise on whether or not I receive a proper refund, and in what timescale.

Bob C