Canon iP4200

21 replies [Last post]
Charles

Just seen on Amazon the Canon iP4200 for £75.02 inc saver delivery.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000B67YK2/wwwbiblionmay-21/203-3329239-0134351

Regards
Charles
avsvideo.co.uk

Alan Roberts
Alan Roberts's picture

Is that one the printers we think to be good quailty and good value?

Get my test cards document, and cards for 625, 525, 720 and 1080. Thanks to Gavin Gration for hosting them.
Camera settings documents are held by Daniel Browning and at the EBU
My book, 'Circles of Confusion' is available here.
Also EBU Tech.3335 tells how to test cameras, and R.118 tells how to use the results.

Charles

Not seen a review on it but my Canon i865 gives good results on photo paper and disc.

Regards
Charles
avsvideo.co.uk

Alan Roberts
Alan Roberts's picture

That's good enough, I've just ordered one.

Get my test cards document, and cards for 625, 525, 720 and 1080. Thanks to Gavin Gration for hosting them.
Also EBU Tech.3335 tells how to test cameras, and R.118 tells how to use the results.

Charles

Snap

Regards
Charles
avsvideo.co.uk

Gavin Gration

We have IP4000 - superb.

atticman

I agree. I have IP3000. Fantastic results.

Paul

Paul H

Barry Hunter

Missed that one! Just bought one localy for £94 :-(

Only used it last night & am well impressed.

I was informed that because it uses much finer nozzles that if you use "pattern" replacement cartridges you will undoubtably suffer blockages, anyone any experience of this?

BTW my i865 finally got retired after failing to adequetly get the head to clean to an acceptable standard.

Barry Hunter videos4all.org

Barry Hunter

Just been onto the site & noticed that "SuperSaver" is not available on this item.

Also, I boght a spare set of inks from my supplier, Electrowise SouthWest & the price per unit was £8.55 inc vat, £0.40 cheaper that Amazon so I don`t feel quite so bad :-)

Alan Roberts
Alan Roberts's picture

Mine arrived yesterday. Got it up and running in between bottling 6 gallons of Elderberry&Apple from 1999 and racking 6 gallons of Apple&Pear 2001. It's nice, looks good, and I like the ability to post it into a shelf, using the bottom feeder. My old Epson 750'll stay in use until it's inks get used, or until it starts giving trouble again.

Barry Hunter

Talking of wine making, I used to make my own, still got a few bottles of Elderberry from `81 just like Port :-)

penguin
canon ip4200 vs epson

Hi

I'm thinking of getting a Canon ip4200 to print direct on CDs and DVDs. Ive been using an Epson r300 for a while, Its not bad but I find it a bit slow and sometimes I get ink bleeds. Is the canon any better? Also any info on ink costs..thanks

Barry Hunter

Check out my post on page one of this thread!

Dave R Smith

Following from the positive feedback I'm going to get the IP4200 from savastore.com £73.99.
Reading up on differences, IP4200 has much same spec as IP3000 but has parrallel port and black dye (in addition to black ink) for added contrast.
I assume IP4200 is later version of IP4000.

I am buying it specifically for CD/DVD printing.
I currently use 'expressit' software via a4 scored template sheets for small one-of runs.
Do you know if the IP4200 CD/DVD software allows:
i)Import of 'xpr' (expressit) file objects.
ii)Import of bmp/tif/psd - I am sure the answer is yes as it would be useless without it.
iii)Ability to change the non printable hole size. Some DVD's have the printable surface going very close to the hole, which I would wish to take advantage of.

Thanks.
Dave.

Alan Roberts
Alan Roberts's picture

Dave, that's excactly why I got one, for cd/dvd printing.

i - pass, not found out yet.
ii - yes, imports all sorts of bitmaps and text.
iii- yes, down to 1mm marging, inner and outer.

Dave R Smith

Smashing - thanks Alan for quick reply.
Just got to find somewhere to put it with increasing number of pc's and peripherals.
I'm hoping the alternative paper mount will mean I can squeeze it in a tight space.
Thanks again.
Dave.

Alan Roberts
Alan Roberts's picture

That's my problem as well, I now have to throw something away to fit it in. If you use only the cassette (front loading, sticks outa few inches when extended to take A4) , then you don't need top access at all, apart from changing ink carts.

Charles

Dave on my i865 the sizes for hub printable were,Outer..118mm Inner..23mm haven't set the 4200 up yet but no reason for it to change.

Regards
Charles
avsvideo.co.uk

Dave R Smith

Thanks Alan and Charles,
My media seems to range from 22 to 42mm inner diameter - I won't lose sleep over 23mm if that's the smallest.
Dave.

Alan Roberts
Alan Roberts's picture

The software with the 4200 lets you set the inner diameters of the printed area to within 1mm of hole, same for the outer diameter.

madbrad
Alan Roberts wrote:
The software with the 4200 lets you set the inner diameters of the printed area to within 1mm of hole, same for the outer diameter.

where abouts in the software is this option as I'm lost where to find it & its doing my head in :confused: :D

Cheers Madbrad

Charles

Open CD label print,click on "New" then top left click "File" down the options and click "Select Paper" on the bottom select "New" window opens "Edit user defined" then set the outer size to 118, inner to 23,click yes and jobs done, you might like to name it Hub Printable.
HTH

Regards
Charles
avsvideo.co.uk