cheapest dvd recorder? (under £50!)

13 replies [Last post]
cstv

ebuyer does it again!

a DVD+R/W for £49.99 including the VAT

harlequin
harlequin's picture

I agree it's cheap but here are a few bits of info i would want before buying

1. what recording quality levels does it have ?
2. what speed of discs will it write to ?

Gary MacKenzie

sepulce@hotmail.com ( an account only used for forum messages )

Thinkserver TS140 , 750ti Graphics card  & LG 27" uws led backlight , Edius 8

Humax Foxsat HD Pvr / Humax Fox T2 dvbt

cstv

don't worry Gary; i've no doubt it's cheap for a reason! I should think the encoder chips are not of the best quality and the interface is probably not that flexible. But for fifty quid it's ideal for joe public who wants to record stuff "off the tele" onto DVD. One more step away from VHS...

Alan Roberts
Alan Roberts's picture

There's an interesting piece in today's Grauniad about DVD recorders. Mike Whitley complains of having to wait two minutes after pressing "record" while the machine went into "format" mode before recording started, 2 hour capacity means 1 hour 47 minutes, long delay to close a disk before ejecting it, duff blanks. He doesn't say what make or model, but he hints that he got it from Dixons.

It cheered me up no end, hard-drives are the way to go for the consumer, copying off to DVD in non-real time. DVD recording alone isn't a sensible approach for Joe Public.

Get my test cards document, and cards for 625, 525, 720 and 1080. Thanks to Gavin Gration for hosting them.
Camera settings documents are held by Daniel Browning and at the EBU
My book, 'Circles of Confusion' is available here.
Also EBU Tech.3335 tells how to test cameras, and R.118 tells how to use the results.

cstv

a fair point i suppose. i too have avoided dvd in favour of hard drive recorders because i've never been a big fan of dvd, seeing it as a minor progression from vhs. DVD has, however been embraced by the industry and the public so dvd recorders seem the next logical step - unless of course they don't work...

personally i have a HDD/DVD recorder and very rarely archive out to dvd. I don't think i've ever bothered to record directly to DVD because the hard drive is there. I've never used a "just" DVD recorder myself, i've just noticed ebuyer's prices for them pretty much half in about the last 8 months.

mark.

bcrabtree
Alan Roberts wrote:
There's an interesting piece in today's Grauniad about DVD recorders. Mike Whitley complains of having to wait two minutes after pressing "record" while the machine went into "format" mode before recording started, 2 hour capacity means 1 hour 47 minutes, long delay to close a disk before ejecting it, duff blanks. He doesn't say what make or model, but he hints that he got it from Dixons.

It cheered me up no end, hard-drives are the way to go for the consumer, copying off to DVD in non-real time. DVD recording alone isn't a sensible approach for Joe Public.

This is the URL for that article and, having read it, my conclusion is that Mr W isn't a great one for doing his research before buying.

Okay, you can argue that you should be able to get good advice at point of sale about the ins and outs of what you are thinking of buying but my take is that anyone who goes to buy anything of any value without at least doing the most basic of research is a damn fool who gets what he deserves.

And, if, as one would presume, Mr W is sufficiently computer literate to write such a piece and email it to the Guardian, then he's doubly a fool for not having done a bit of googling beforehand to understand the issues.

Or could it be that this is not actually someone reporting what they did but, instead, reporting what one of their dumb friends told them they did?

Oh, and none of this means that I disagree with Alan over the business of hard-disks - I'm waiting for the price of combined HD/DVD machine to come down to a level that I can afford - it's just that the whole piece, to me, seemed staged and rather limp.

And I didn't think that, really, anyone who read the piece would have come away better informed - and I found especially unhelpful the line about lots of blank discs being faulty. DON'T tell me the problem - tell me the SOLUTION!

Seems to me, nothing he's written will be of the slightest practical use to anyone.

Overall, it's like he's saying, "I'm an idiot, feel sorry for me".

And I don't.

harlequin
harlequin's picture
Alan Roberts wrote:

if it takes that long to get to record capability , it's a dvd+r or dvd+rw disc he is using.

dvd-ram is ready as soon as inserted and checked by panasonic drive.
dvd-r is only a second or two slower.
harddrive is instantaneous.

i'm willing to bet the drive is either a phillips or a 'bush' which is what my youngest sister bought , and has poor choices of recording times.

Gary MacKenzie

Senu

I think that DVd recorders with built-in HDD are heaven sent.

I had a Panasonic with 40g ( Hs-2 :earlier model) whose versatility and PQ ( encoding) were a delight in use.
It cost £800 then . I used to take analogue ( s-video) feeds from premiere timeline with my Pinnacle Pro One breakout box and they compared favourably with the "proper " DVD made from Premiere on the PC after encoding.

Things have moved on and the recorders are now so much cheaper now but I am ever so wary of these "bargains" as I feel there is always a catch ( quality, durability, compatibility with media, etc)

Someone, .... tell me Im being paranoid;)

svh

Alan Roberts
Alan Roberts's picture

You're not being paranoid, they really are all out to get you :)

Same's true with players, I got a Bush player from B&Q before Christmas, £17.99. It works, but it feels very flimsy.

Get my test cards document, and cards for 625, 525, 720 and 1080. Thanks to Gavin Gration for hosting them.
Camera settings documents are held by Daniel Browning and at the EBU
My book, 'Circles of Confusion' is available here.
Also EBU Tech.3335 tells how to test cameras, and R.118 tells how to use the results.

harlequin
harlequin's picture

my view:

panasonic design a new mechanism.
panasonic declare all units or every tenth must be checkjed as they come off production line.
they get them manufactured in china where it is cheaper.

chinese company , using basically identical electronics , put same tech into a cheaper case and cheaper powersupply. ( they only check every thousandth )

because they sell 'millions' in china , unit costs plummit ..... they then sell some to the west.

people like me stick to panasonic , we trust them , others buy the chinese version ( rebadged and renamed many times ) , and we probably get same experience from each device , only difference will be if one goes wrong.

mine , will be fixed with panasonic parts , and fixed by panasonic.
chinese one will be exchanged in asda etc , and probably disposed of by them rather than fix.

what worries me is that when only china is manufacturing everything , do you believe they will keep prices down ........ or will they deconstruct all western/japanes factories , ship to china , build there and start raising unit prices rapidly .......

Gary MacKenzie

Alan Craven

They already are deconstructing factories in the west - where else do you think Longbridge is going?

cstv

indeed, capitalist communism... who'd have thunk it?

harlequin
harlequin's picture
Alan Craven wrote:
They already are deconstructing factories in the west - where else do you think Longbridge is going?

i wondered where i'd thought the idea up from :)

Gary MacKenzie

bcrabtree

Gary,

As when Japan was making nearly everything, when China is making nearly everything, it'll be a richer place and its population will have higher expectations, then another country (or a number of them) will come along to undersell it.

It's called capitalism, I think, and the rules are such that they won't be rewritten for China's benefit.