Choice between IBM 120GXP or WD800BB?

4 replies [Last post]
MrHavana

I've narrowed my search for a second HD down to an 80Gb IBM Deskstar 120GXP or a Western Digital WD800BB. I already have a WD800BB as my only HD. Am I right in recalling that if I ever look at RAID ing (?) the two together, that it's better if they are the same make and size.
Which is better anyway? Is there much difference in noise, reliability or performance?
My current data rate is reading anywhere between 42,800 - 44,500Kbyte/sec and writng 44,000 -45,100Kbyte/sec. Is that OK for this drive?

Regards,
John G.

gordo

Haven't really had experience with either drive so I can't comment on noise etc, however if you check out www.storagereview.com they should have a review of each drive.

As far as RAID goes I would try and stick to the same make/model of drive. That said, mixing makes and model will work depending on the method used to create the array (software vs hardware).

If you currently only have one drive, I would just use the second drive as a dedicated video drive, leaving your existing apps and OS on the first drive.

hth

Gordo

Paul Argyle

The Seagate Barracuda IV range is specifically designed to be very low noise - and it is. I think the 80GB can be had for about £80 at the moment. I haven't compared specs though, I was really after low noise.

MrHavana

quote:Originally posted by gordo:
As far as RAID goes I would try and stick to the same make/model of drive. That said, mixing makes and model will work depending on the method used to create the array (software vs hardware).

If you currently only have one drive, I would just use the second drive as a dedicated video drive, leaving your existing apps and OS on the first drive.

You're on my wave-length, as I am indeed looking to use the new drive as a dedicated video drive for now. I was just looking ahead, to a time when I might start RAIDing drives together.

I am looking at a budget of £80 - £90 and am leaning towards the BB or JB versions of the 80Gb WD drives.

cstv

quote:Originally posted by MrHavana:

My current data rate is reading anywhere between 42,800 - 44,500Kbyte/sec and writng 44,000 -45,100Kbyte/sec. Is that OK for this drive?

in my experience that's more that ok! i don't normally get anymore than about 35MBps! am i doing something wrong?