DSR 250 very picky about tapes

6 replies [Last post]
P.Gallagher

My DSR 250 is only 5 months old and it is very picky about taking the Sony DVCAM 64 minute tapes but had no problem with the Sony 184 min tapes or the mini dv tapes, I went this morning to capture a wedding I did a few weeks ago and it will not take the tape at all to feed it into the Computer.

It was used to film the whole day and now it will not take it at all, any help would be great or will I have to send it back to Sony to have it fixed?

Many thanks

Paul Galagher

Paul pgvideos.co.uk Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

tom hardwick

Do the tapes play back well in your DSR-11 (or whatever VCR you have)? Have you tried running a head cleaning tape through the 250's drive mechanism? Is there no picture or sound whatsoever? have you tried the analogue out?

tom.

P.Gallagher

Tom I don't have the luxury of owning a VCR so I feed all of my tapes back through the camera. I captured 2 of the mini dv tapes and then tried the big 184 min tape and it accepted the tape this time and is capturing as I type. It wasn't that their was no picture or sound but the tape would go down into the camera but no head in towards the mechanicals so to speak, go down fully, then stop and it would spit it back out again.

This has only happened on the big 64 min tapes and I just thought it was a faulty batch of tapes, but now I am afraid of it being a problem with the camera.

Paul pgvideos.co.uk Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

P.Gallagher

Thanks Tom for your fast reply.
Paul

Barry Hunter

We`ve run 2 DSR250`s for 3 years & never had that problem! Did have a serious one when the heads was clogged & although it showed "REC" failed to do so for the first 20 min, we now also have HD back up for safety. I would suspect tape mechanism, if the silver warranty is still in force contact them, very efficient although you will have to wait 7 working days for the loan cam. Good luck.

Barry Hunter videos4all.org

P.Gallagher

Thanks Barry, yest the silver support is still valid.

Z Cheema

Have you a small handcam camera ? perhaps you can play the tapes back on that