Full Moon over our pub in cornsay 18/5/08

6 replies [Last post]
MAGLINK

Shot at 1am in the morning on a sony Z7 with mike tapa nikon adaptor and a nikkor 70-300mm lens at F8. The lens was at 300mm and with the 7X magnification of the adaptor this gives a focal length of 2100mm. This is the full frame with no cropping or post prod zooming and you can see the moon move in its orbit around the earth and the shimmer is from the earths atomosphere:

http://www.vimeo.com/1034579

Rob James

Impressive. Please expand on "Mike Tapa" Nikon adaptor.

Rob The picture is only there to keep the sound in sync

MAGLINK
Rob James wrote:
Impressive. Please expand on "Mike Tapa" Nikon adaptor.

He is a guy in London who makes adaptors to fit still SLR lenses onto video cameras:
http://www.mtfservices.com/products/lens%20adaptors/lensadaptors.html

Mine for the Z7 cost around £217 but they are superbly made and as you can see for wildlife and for very close up shots they make the interchangability of the Z7 lens a real plus over the Z1 or EX-1

MAGLINK

P.S Here is a pic of the Z7 with the Nikkor 70-300mm fitted via the mike tapa mount:

Rob James

Certainly turns it into a real beast of a camera. The only downside I can see is that it is impossible to get anything useful at the wide end using the adaptor because of the high degree of magnification.

MAGLINK

Agreed Rob but for wildebeast and shooting lions a mile away it is perfect, it just a shame we dont get many of those here in Co Durham but I have done some good shots of grouse and lapwings on the moors just above the pub.

I have also put my 50mm f1.4 and 105mm f2.5 prime nikkor lenses on and they are great for low light shooting.

Rob James

Well you are certainly well placed if one of the fabled big cats of the moors puts in an appearance!

In one sense it is a much better (and cheaper) answer than the 35 mm adaptors. Just so long as you don't need anything wide.

As an aside I wonder if "C" format 16mm cine lenses would have sufficient coverage with a suitable adaptor?