G-RAID2 - Dell XPS 1710 laptop only 4 pin 1394 connector?

3 replies [Last post]
Tx2online

I'm thinking of buying a G-RAID2 for my Dell XPS laptop (Windows XP) on which to do on site video editing, however, my laptop only has a small 4 pin 1394 connector, like the one found on miniDV cameras.

I see the G-RAID2 has a Firewire 400 ability, but will this be OK on my laptop in respect of the connection I have available?

Thanks in advance.

harlequin
harlequin's picture
Tx2online wrote:
I see the G-RAID2 has a Firewire 400 ability, but will this be OK on my laptop in respect of the connection I have available?

http://www.usb-ware.com/g-raid2-g-tech-firewire-raid.htm

says FireWire 800, FireWire 400 and USB 2.0!

Dell XPS 1710 laptop

states firewire , no level , so assumed a 400

therefore should work , using a 4 pin to 6 pin cable.

Gary MacKenzie

sepulce@hotmail.com ( an account only used for forum messages )

Thinkserver TS140 , 750ti Graphics card  & LG 27" uws led backlight , Edius 8

Humax Foxsat HD Pvr / Humax Fox T2 dvbt

Alan Roberts
Alan Roberts's picture

Firewire 400 is the base model, it;s safe to assume that any 4- or 6-pin connected firewire terminal will work at 400. The on ly advantages of the 6-pin socket are the power (5 volt) on the two extra pins, and the extra ruggedness of the big connector. In all other respects, they are identical.

Get my test cards document, and cards for 625, 525, 720 and 1080. Thanks to Gavin Gration for hosting them.
Camera settings documents are held by Daniel Browning and at the EBU
My book, 'Circles of Confusion' is available here.
Also EBU Tech.3335 tells how to test cameras, and R.118 tells how to use the results.

dominicwitherow

I use a G-RAID 2 and although it's usually connected via FW800, I have used it with a couple of laptops with FW400 and it works very well. As it requires a mains power source anyway, you should be absolutely fine using a 4 pin to 6 pin.

Dominic