H264 Audio Problem

3 replies [Last post]
Barry Hunter
In 2010 we went to India, Golden Triangle etc. When we went to the Taj Mahal we were not allowed to take in a video camera, (you could pay but it was only allowed up to "Diana`s Bench) So using my compact Samsung WB 600 in video mode I got some reasonable footage, better than not having any. We`re now editing the whole trip & find that if I place the whole clip on the timeline (editing in Edius 6) the audio plays fine but if I cut any part of the clip I find that there`s about a 1 and a half second delay before any audio is heard. Although the audio isn`t brilliant but better than nothing. I`ve since bought a new compact, an Olympus SZ-31MR & used it at the weekend down on the beach at Torquay & I have to say I was pretty impressed with what a little compact could achieve. I put it into Edius to see what if any problems there might be with the audio but there were none, even when I had "zoomed" in there was no loss of souund. So I`m curios as to why on the Samsung I`m experiencing these audio hiccups. Anyone any idea?

Barry Hunter videos4all.org

Claire
Re: H264 Audio Problem
Hi Barry, you don't say what type of audio the Samsung WB100 uses so I googled it and see it's MP3. The advice given on Grass Valley Edius forum for years has been to convert MP3 to WAV before using it to avoid problems,  perhaps this is the reason. I think MP3 which is very heavily compressed has to be decompressed on the fly unlike wav and as a result is not so reliable when there are lots of cuts.

Claire

Barry Hunter
Thanks Claire, I`ll check that out.

Barry Hunter videos4all.org

johnd
Is this a variety of the missing audio I experience with long tod video files shot on my JVC camcorder where the video is longer than the file size and the audio goes missing as the clip is split up ( I solve this by recombining the clips using mpeg streamclip and I know other people use a small program called MTSMerger  http://vontraining.net/download/  for panasonic video files)?