Hitachi DZ-MV270 Review

4 replies [Last post]
cstv

I finally got around to reading the february issue of CV and the review of Hitachi's latest offering.

One thing that the review seemed to ignore, but seemed an obvious problem to me was with playing 8cm discs in standard DVD players. The review mentioned a few players that the discs were compatible with but surely they can only be played if the drive's disc tray has a central column on to which the disc can be placed.

Obviously the players used work with the discs, but all of the DVD players i've used would fail. Aren't these discs going to have the same problems as CD-business cards?

Are all the devices mentioned in the review of this type, or is there another method for playing back these smaller media?

mark.

pcwells

Hi Mark,

All the DVD players and drives I've seen are able to take 8cm media. There's normally a small 'well' in the middle of the drawer into which the smaller disc will sit snugly. This has become pretty much standard for DVD and CD drawers.

That said, I do remember when 8cm CD singles were all the rage many years ago - simple plastic adapters were made available, allowing you to mount the small disc in a normal sized surround. You might still be able to get something like that. Haven't seen them in years though.

Cheers,

Pete

cstv

Thanks for the tip Pete. Now i look silly - upon reading your reply to my post i've just opened the tray on my PC's DVD drive, and what do you know... a small well in the middle ideal for an 8cm disc...

i'll just be over here looking embaressed if anyone wants me...

cheers,
mark.

bcrabtree

I like a man who stands up and takes his lumps!

Bob C

pcwells

But you'll notice I've successfully avoided any mention of slot-loading DVD-ROM drives...