HP Photosmart D5160 for £19.95

20 replies [Last post]
dvnam

The above named printer for £19.95 (+£4.50 P&P) available from the Apple Store UK.

Not bad considering the HP344 Tri-colour cartridge (included with the HP 348 Photo and the HP339 Black cartridges at around £25 the pair) alone costs around £25.

(P.S - How can this be?)

foxvideo
foxvideo's picture

This printers OK but that's about it. Supplied software is c**p, I've only just found the template for Surething labeler v4 so that should make things easier, Surething include support in v5. Before that I had to author the label in Surething, save as a TIFF, export to the Mac and print on the Mac using the HP software for Macintosh to get anything worth looking at. Print quality is NOT as good as an Epson at the moment, but I'm still working on that. HP email support is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Dave Farrants Fox Video Editing

mooblie
mooblie's picture

Never quite understood why everybody moans about the "included" CD/DVD printing software wihth just abourt every manufacturer's disc printer. I have always used a DTP package (InDesign now, PageMaker before that) to lay out whatever I want, wherever I want it, with all the quality and facilities that provides.

Certainly, you need to layout your own "template" and masks, to position the elements accurately on the "page", but with a sophisticated layer system and switchable visibility, once done, it makes life a hell of a lot easier, with unsurpassed results.

Martin - DVdoctor in moderation. Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

foxvideo
foxvideo's picture

Probably because I don't have InDesign or any other dedicated DTP program :)

At £400 or so, it'd be a bit like cracking a nut with a sledgehammer for me! Have no other use for it, Covers are designed in PS which is fine, just not so good for disk faces. Surething cost £20.

mooblie
mooblie's picture

Fair enough. My point is: you can use any favourite graphic application (with the proviso it has accurate/repeatable/specifyable layout dimensions) to print CD/DVDs on any printer, and ignore the bundled rubbish. You just need to position the elements in the "page" correctly.

(In my case, I needed InDesign elsewhere and, naturally, I use it for DVD inserts too.)

Martin - DVdoctor in moderation. Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

HallmarkProductions

We use photoshop to produce our CD prints - and export from there. I am not sure, but I would imagine you could use Photoshop Elements for this and the benefits would then go far beyond just creating disc faces.

Chris

Chris
Time for a new signature now...

fisherman

See this thread here :-

http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=41696

Sorry Mooblie, but I have tried (not hard I have to say) to print to a disc, with very little success.

It seems that printer suppliers rely on their own software to make up for shortfalls in their disc carrages.

I have even tried the "WORD" CD template, with little success. (it shows as a "square" when you compose) How can this be ??????

Can anyone name a few "common" softwar application that will allow some level of decent printing and composing ?

Charles

You could try http://www.magicmouse.com/ 30 day trial

Regards
Charles
avsvideo.co.uk

foxvideo
foxvideo's picture

As mentioned above, the Surething program (either 4 or 5) @ around £20 offers templates for the HP D5160, far more features than Epson PrintCD :)

mdiver

Firstly, This gets quite a good review in this months PC Pro magazine. Although they said it was expensive at £70!

Second, Any one using one for paper prints, mine often sucks through 5 sheets at a time. Is it just my one?

fisherman

Mine prints OK on paper (and doesn't suck 5 sheets at a time)

Is anyone printing Ok to disc ? Mine prints off centre (like in one quarter of the disc)

Is there a way of "adusting" the print head ?

Is Apple dumping seconds ?

foxvideo
foxvideo's picture

Mine prints 1 sheet at a time and prints dead centre on CD/DVD's :)

Not found anything to align the CD print centre, like Epson PrintCD has.

foxvideo
foxvideo's picture
fisherman wrote:
Mine prints off centre (like in one quarter of the disc)

Do you mean the whole image appears in 1/4 of the disk? or just off centre missing out 3/4 of the image?

What program are you using to print? Do you select the "borderless" option?

fisherman

It's off centre, missing 3/4 of the picture off the disc.

foxvideo
foxvideo's picture

Mac or PC?

Could only get mine to print successfully using a Mac, then found a template for Surething using my PC that works fine. The supplied software for the PC is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

fisherman

It's a PC.

I'm starting to get worried now

foxvideo
foxvideo's picture

Try the 15 day free demo from Surething.

Inbuilt support for the 5160 and it's only $25 to buy if it works for you....If not you could always buy a Mac :D

fisherman

Foxvideo strikes again !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks mate, I've downloaded surething, and its printed just fine (had to do a few bits and pieces, but otherwise, it's great.

Having said that, why should I have to buy 3rd party software, to use a simple feature on my printer ?????????

It's vey annoying.

Not your fault, I know.

Having said that, I think I write out a snotty letter to HP, and see what they have to say for themselves.

Thanks again. Don't you just love this site. This is not the first time I've had a problem solved by asking here. (not sure if that's good or not really ????)

Geoff Haynes

Excellent thread - sorted my original problem with the HP5160. All we need now is a continuous ink supply system or some really cheap compatible cartridges. Hey ho.

Geoff

Geoff Haynes ,Fingerpost Digital Media
www.fingerpostmedia.co.uk

fisherman

7dayshop :- https://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cat=2&type=0&man=0&filterwords=c9363ee&comp=

C8767EE (Large Black) £12-99
C9363EE (Colour) £15-49

Plus P+P (not expensive)

Recommended.

Geoff Haynes

Thanks Fisherman!

Geoff

Geoff Haynes ,Fingerpost Digital Media
www.fingerpostmedia.co.uk