Nikon D3100 Vs Canon 5D

7 replies [Last post]
Chrome

Whilst the Nikon is a bottom-end DSLR and the Canon a medium-priced DSLR unit, the Nikon also records 24p at 1920x1080. Has anyone heard of any real comparisons between the video produced by each of them?

SimonMW

I think the main difference is that the Nikon doesn't allow manual control with video. Apart from that they'll both suffer from all the usual aliasing etc.

Chrome

Wow! Really - not any use for serious applications then... thanks.

Alan Roberts
Alan Roberts's picture

All the manufacturers are well aware of the aliasing issues, and they'll therefore trumpet any camera's lack of aliasing loud and clear when launching it. So, I think you can read between the lines of the blurb and spec; if it doesn't say 'alias-free' in letters nine feet high, it isn't. But I'd really like to be proved wrong.

Get my test cards document, and cards for 625, 525, 720 and 1080. Thanks to Gavin Gration for hosting them.
Camera settings documents are held by Daniel Browning and at the EBU
My book, 'Circles of Confusion' is available here.
Also EBU Tech.3335 tells how to test cameras, and R.118 tells how to use the results.

Chrome

he he - it might not have looked like it, but my response was dripping in irony... I asked the question to pre-empt a friend who had asked me. :)

MAGLINK

Tell him its the best camera ever made and will produce cinematic images to rival panaflex widescreen, as well as that George Lucas is going to be shooting his next 20 star wars prequels on one and that the BBC now make most of their HD programmes using them!:D

Chrome

Who do you think you are Gary, Philip Bloom MKII?

MAGLINK
Chrome wrote:
Who do you think you are Gary, Philip Bloom MKII?

Damn you rumbled and found me out!;)