Panasonic HMC-151 with Blackmagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle 2

2 replies [Last post]
APNTV
I am considering adding a Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle 2 to my toolbox as I can see it having various uses for me.  Has anybody used one of these with a Panasonic HMC151? 

I wonder if the imaging chipset on the camera will become the limiting factor and if the additional bit rate will realistically improve the image quality any further from the HDMI output of the camera.  I think the HMC 151 is a superb camera and suits much of the work I do, where the client is not supplying the camera, but in post the AVCHD does have obvious limitations during grading etc.  I am likely to upgrade to an HPX250 with the advent of micro P2 but the HyperDeck Shuttle does sound like it could be a useful addition in the short term, any thoughts welcome.

Andy Nicholls Steadicam Operator www.apntv.com

Alan Roberts
Alan Roberts's picture
Re: Panasonic HMC-151 with Blackmagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle 2
I doubt it'll make any difference. The camera isn't really up to doing justice to full-res 1920x1080, since the 3 sensors are each only 960x540. If you haven't already done so, get a copy of my test report on it (#51), and you'll see what I mean.

Get my test cards document, and cards for 625, 525, 720 and 1080. Thanks to Gavin Gration for hosting them.
Camera settings documents are held by Daniel Browning and at the EBU
My book, 'Circles of Confusion' is available here.
Also EBU Tech.3335 tells how to test cameras, and R.118 tells how to use the results.

APNTV
Re: Panasonic HMC-151 with Blackmagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle 2
Thanks Alan, I suspected that was the case.

Andy Nicholls Steadicam Operator www.apntv.com