RT2500 installation problems

2 replies [Last post]
Ian Wilson

I recently purchased a Matrox RT2500. I’m not a computer expert but don’t mind getting my hands dirty and quite happy to add/remove items from my computer. Having installed an additional hard drive and CD-RW I was more than happy to install the RT2500. I followed the instructions supplied to the letter and got halfway down page 45 when the computer reboots after installing the Matrox Video tools. Halfway through the reboot the computer seizes up, nothing will work and the only way forward is to switch the power off at the rear. I have been in touch with Matrox to get technical help, so far they have asked me to update the motherboard BIOS, the AMD AGP miniport driver to version 4.80, the AMD EIDE control driver to version 1.32, which I have done. I still have the same problem. I noted, from their website that there is a known problem with NVIDIA graphics cards, I have a Geforce 256. I have asked the question but not received a reply, whether the known problem is in fact the difficulties I’m having.
For information my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7ix BIOS updated now to version F4a with AMD 800mhz chip. I have 256MB ram. The operating system is Windows ME. I have also removed every other card other than the graphics card and tried the RT2500 in all slots, except 2, as it will not fit there due to cable connectors on the motherboard, with the same result.
I’ve had the card 3 weeks now and dying to try it out, can anyone help in anyway or will I have to put my hand in my pocket to replace the graphic’s card with a Matrox G450.

cyberwest

I recently stopped using a very similar board to yours made by MSI because it refused to work with the RT2000 under Windows 2000 with MVT3. My gut feeling is that the AMD 756 South Bridge chipset these boards use is rubbish with Windows 2000. Is that what you're using? If so, check to see if your OS is installed in ACPI or Standard PC mode. My guess would be the latter, which could be the root of your problem.

James

James Morris

Ian Wilson

quote:Originally posted by cyberwest:
I recently stopped using a very similar board to yours made by MSI because it refused to work with the RT2000 under Windows 2000 with MVT3. My gut feeling is that the AMD 756 South Bridge chipset these boards use is rubbish with Windows 2000. Is that what you're using? If so, check to see if your OS is installed in ACPI or Standard PC mode. My guess would be the latter, which could be the root of your problem.

James

Thanks for reply - The motherboard is using the 756 chipset however I'm using Windows ME, if that makes any difference. Can you give me an idea how to check the OS is installed as you say. I still have a lot to learn about the inner workings of a PC.