Sennheiser EW100 XLR Line Input

15 replies [Last post]
ironmike

Hi all..
New to the forum, but a professional cameraman for many years.. I need to make a cable that I can plug into a EW100 transmitter that will accept a line input.. Could someone please explain this so a electronics and audio dummy like myself can understand.. I can handle a soldering iron OK and think I can manage this job, but I need to know what the pin configuration is..
I have read threads on other forums, but alas they dont make much sense to an audio novice like myself.. I can understand the terms + - and gnd, but thats about it..
One other thing, if I wish to plug in a dynamic mic to the transmitter, do I need a different type of cable?
Any help?
Thanks..

harlequin
harlequin's picture

read thru
http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=43247
it may answer some of the question

Gary MacKenzie

sepulce@hotmail.com ( an account only used for forum messages )

Thinkserver TS140 , 750ti Graphics card  & LG 27" uws led backlight , Edius 8

Humax Foxsat HD Pvr / Humax Fox T2 dvbt

DAVE M

the connectors are a pain to wire

I think there may be a schematic on here somewhare.

To be honest, sennheiser sell a lead for a very reasonable price, considering.

ironmike
harlequin wrote:
read thru
http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=43247
it may answer some of the question

Hi and thanks.. I had already read this article, but it does not make things much clearer for me..
Thanks anyway..

mooblie
mooblie's picture

Try here about two-thirds of the way down - "CI 1" and beyond...

Martin - DVdoctor in moderation. Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

ironmike
DAVE M wrote:
the connectors are a pain to wire

I think there may be a schematic on here somewhare.

To be honest, sennheiser sell a lead for a very reasonable price, considering.

Thanks..
I have a job on Sunday, and may not be able to get a cable from Sennheiser by then, so I was hoping to make one..
Thanks anyway..

ironmike
mooblie wrote:
Try here about two-thirds of the way down - "CI 1" and beyond...

Hi..
Yes the CL2 seems to be what I need, but I was really looking for a wiring diagram and could not see on on the sennheiser page..
Thanks anyway

mooblie
mooblie's picture

More information in this thread on DVinfo.

Martin - DVdoctor in moderation. Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

ironmike
mooblie wrote:
More information in this thread on DVinfo.

Thanks again for your speedy input.. as I explained I am not really a soundie so I get a bit lost with some of the jargon...like this..
------
Pin-1: Ground/shield
Pin-2, 3 or both: Ring (your preference, left, right or L & R)*
Float or tie the 1/8" plug tip to ground.
-------
I can understand parts of this..
Pin 1 on the xlr is gnd
but the rest I dont understand?
Pin-2, 3 or both: Ring (your preference, left, right or L & R)*???
and
Float or tie the 1/8" plug tip to ground.??
If someone can explain these 2 pin settings.. I think I might have it..
Thanks again..
Love this forum...

DAVE M
paulears
paulears's picture

This diagram may help - screen and one oter connection for line input - the tip of the plug doesn't have any connection at all.

ironmike
Solved...

Thanks..
Used your diagram paulears..
Got the connectors and cable added some solder and the lead does exactly what I want..
Very happy
Thanks all..

John Willett
John Willett's picture
ironmike wrote:
Used your diagram paulears..

You should have had the diagram already - the picture was copied from the User Manual. :D

John

A picture tells a thousand words, but sound tells a thousand pictures.

tenderman

The following URL has a good diagram.
http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/connection/xlr-jack-stereo.html
I would try wiring the way the diagram shows first. This gives you a 'balanced' signal. The idea is that pin 2 of the XLR is 'hot', Pin 3 is 'data or signal neutral' and pin 1 is the shield. Sennheiser probably uses conventional TRS convention in their wireless sets. On an 1/8" plug, the tip is hot, the ring is 'data or signal neutral' and the sleeve, or part closest to the cable is shield. You will get a signal with just the tip and ring and pins 2 & 3 on the XLR connected, but you might get hum.connecting the shield to pin 1 provides an electrical shield to RF interference (fluorescent lights, radio noise, etc..). In some rare cases it is advantageous to be able to lift one end or the other of the'shield' line. You can also buy factory made adapters to do the same thing, and you can buy ground loop isolators to eliminate hum, which sometimes work.

John Willett
John Willett's picture
tenderman wrote:
The following URL has a good diagram.
http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/connection/xlr-jack-stereo.html
I would try wiring the way the diagram shows first. This gives you a 'balanced' signal. The idea is that pin 2 of the XLR is 'hot', Pin 3 is 'data or signal neutral' and pin 1 is the shield. Sennheiser probably uses conventional TRS convention in their wireless sets. On an 1/8" plug, the tip is hot, the ring is 'data or signal neutral' and the sleeve, or part closest to the cable is shield. You will get a signal with just the tip and ring and pins 2 & 3 on the XLR connected, but you might get hum.connecting the shield to pin 1 provides an electrical shield to RF interference (fluorescent lights, radio noise, etc..). In some rare cases it is advantageous to be able to lift one end or the other of the'shield' line. You can also buy factory made adapters to do the same thing, and you can buy ground loop isolators to eliminate hum, which sometimes work.

Please ignore the above - this is totally useless for the question asked. ! ! !

It looks like the poster did not read the original question and has given incorrect and wrong advice. Sorry.

John

A picture tells a thousand words, but sound tells a thousand pictures.

ironmike
John Willett wrote:
You should have had the diagram already - the picture was copied from the User Manual. :D

Yes I had the diagram, but I assumed it referred to the sennheiser lavalier mic..and not a line input..