Storm and Via KT266A

9 replies [Last post]
Smithnc

I've built a 1900+ system using a Abit KR7A mobo, working fine apart from problems with the Audigy soundcard.
I am very keen on the new Canopus Storm 2, but I'm concerned that it doesn't appear to be compatible with the Via KT266A chipset on the mobo, does anyone know if it can work?

Nick

WDB

Most NLE hardware makers do not recommend using VIA chipsets.

Intel, Nvidia, ALI, AMD or SIS should work fine, but avoid VIA.

Smithnc

Thanks,
I was afraid that would be the answer, I was just hoping that someone had tried the combination and won. Looking at it though I already have a problem with the motherboard, SCSI card and Audigy sound card so it might be better to change the motherboard instead of the soundcard, provided I can stop myself from upgrading the memorey or CPU. Hopefully I can keep the AMD processor?

Nick

rwill

I've heard that Storm 2 (preferred purchase)and the MSI KT3 Ultra 2 (VIA KT333 chipset) mobo on my new Athlon 2100+ XP system may not be a good combination. Has anyone any experience good or otherwiae on this one.

elbow

If it wasn't for this problem I think I would have bought a Storm too. Just a thought - but I am looking to avoid buying either the Storm card, and the new system I would need to make it work on, in favour of using the matrox parheilia graphics card for realtime preview in Prem6.5 and just keep the whole thing in software. I think this is a very good option for AMD users with the via chipset.

Dual eyes and ears, single nose and one very large mouth.

gsengma

I'm running Edition on a Microstar KT3 Ultra Raid mobo together with an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro and it works like a charm!

WDB

Pinnacle now has a patch for VIA chipsets.

Trevor Page

On the Canopus forums, I read that one of the staff was using a storm 2 on a gigabyte GA 7VAXP motherboard (KT400) he said that he expects the VIA KT400 to go on the approved list. I have the GA-7VA, and will probably get a storm 2 at the end of March.

Trev

WDB

Basically, if your VIA chipset has the VT8235 southbridge chip, then it should be OK...some of the PCI problems have been corrected with that chipset and the new Hyperion 4-in-1 drivers.

Mad_mardy

can't work out why on an AMD forum you guys are pondering and complaining about the VIA chipset isn't the answer obvious?
use an AMD chipset. I know the VIA gets everywhere but there are boards out there
that don't use it

System 1: AMD X6 2.8, M4A79 Deluxe, 4GB DDR2, ATI HD4870 1GB DDR 3, 2TB total drive space, Matrox RTX 2, Premiere Pro CS4

System 2: AMD X2 5600, M2NPV-VM, 2GB DDR2, Geforce 8600GT 256 DDR 3, 450GB Total drive space, RTX100 with Premiere Pro 2

Camera's: JVC HD200, JVC HD101, 2X Sony HC62