System lock ups - Premiere DV500

5 replies [Last post]
Mick

I have a stubborn problem with my system.
Every time I open premiere and try to do any editing the screen freezes.

All is not lost however, simply rebooting the computer (exiting scandisk for improper shutdown along the way) solves the problem .

The problem is the last of the few I have had since upgrading to an Asus A7v133 and an Athlon 800.

Originally I had Win 98 and premiere 5.1 installed with my DV500, I now have Win ME and premiere 6 the problem is allways there whatever combination I use.

I have all the lastest drivers for my DV500(version 2.o) and A7v133 (4in1 ver.4.29v).

The only driver I have not updated is the motherboard bios which remains as ver.6.0,the one on the supplied CD,
could this be the one I have to update to get rid of the problem, if so how do I do it in Windows ME.

Regards

Mick

Mick Hardwick

PD

Hi Mick,

I don't think this is a device driver issue.

Firstly, could you let us know which PCI slot your DV500 is installed in and what other, if any PCI adapters are installed?

Cheers.

------------------
Paul

Paul Dutton
DVdoctor R&D

HEXUS.swankyDynamicSignature - Give it a click!

Mick

Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply.
The dv500 is in PCI slot 1. I was under the impression that this was the right place for it. I eam to remember reading a letter in the mag to that effect some time ago,anyway I have allways put editing cards in that slot before and had no worries .I have previously had fitted a dc30,dc30 plus and now dv500.

As for your second point I do not knowbut here is a list of my IRQ settings
IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard OK
IRQ 2 Programmable interrupt controller OK
IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
IRQ 5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
IRQ 5 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 5 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 5 Creative AudioPCI (ES1370), SB PCI 64/128 (WDM) OK
IRQ 6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller OK
IRQ 7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1) OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus OK
IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
IRQ 10 WinME Promise Ultra100 (tm) IDE Controller (PDC20265) OK
IRQ 11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
IRQ 11 XPERT@Play 98 (English) OK
IRQ 11 Pinnacle Systems DV500 Overlay OK
IRQ 11 Pinnacle Systems DV500 E4 OK
IRQ 11 Pinnacle Systems DV500-1394 OK
IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo) OK
IRQ 15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) OK

Thanks

Mick

Mick Hardwick

PD

Mick,

If possible (and in general) locate nothing in PCI Slot 1 (RT2000 can be one exception (though RT2500 is not)) as PCI Slot 1 will generally share the same IRQ as your display adapter; from the information you have just provided this is exactly the case...

My advice is to relocate your DV500 into PCI Slot 2.

I am confident what you are seeing is directly related to an IRQ routing conflict.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers!

------------------
Paul

Paul Dutton
DVdoctor R&D

Mick

Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply , I have tried moving the DV500 to other PCI slots.
Slots 2,3,& 5 have been tried and the capture card is now sharing IRQ 5. In slot 2 it shared IRQ10 and in slot 3 it shared IRQ5 again.
The end result is that the problem is still there and re-booting after the lock up still solves it.

Regards

Mick

Mick Hardwick

PD

Okay Mick,

Before we start I will assume (and unfortunately for the sake of brevity I have had to make quite a few assumptions in this post) that you are not ‘overclocking’ your system in any way… if you are then for the moment, if you want me to help, I want you to run everything at it’s default frequency…

In my direct experience, and as other on the DVdoctor Forums have learned, Pinnacle Systems DV500 does not respond well to operating in a PCI Slot that is not PCI 2.1 compliant, i.e. operating at a higher frequency than the default 33MHz…

Okay, with that out of the way bear in mind that you’ll have to refer to at least pages 29, 51, 66, 67, 69 and 81 of the excellent manual, which accompanied your ASUSTek A7V133 mainboard, so have that to hand.

Although I don’t run one of these mainboards in my own system I have integrated and tested systems with them before so hopefully you’ll forgive me for forgetting that on this mainboard, by default, PCI Slot 2 shares an IRQ with the integrated Promise Ultra-ATA/100 IDE RAID controller.

In any event relocate the Pinnacle Systems DV500 to PCI Slot 3.

I know the VIA VT82C686B Peripheral Bus Controller (the ‘Southbridge’) on this mainboard has an integrated audio capability, but looking at the devices to which your IRQ’s are currently assigned you appear to have a Creative Labs audio adapter installed; this is one of the assumptions I have made and it has a knock-on effect from this point on so if this not the case then stop and post back here now.

If it is the case then locate the Creative Labs audio adapter in PCI Slot 4.

If you have any other PCI devices such as a modem or Network Interface Card do not install them yet.

So to recap, you should only have installed your ATI Xpert@play display adapter (which I am assuming is an AGP device), your DV500 CoDec ‘board in PCI Slot 3 and your Creative Labs audio ‘board in PCI Slot 4.

I’m rather hesitant to recommend people updating their BIOS because the procedure can fail and on your mainboard the recovery procedure is not as straightforward as it could be, *but* fyi I nearly always use the latest non-BETA BIOS that a mainboard manufacturer releases and will often use a BETA BIOS but I understand the implications of what I am doing; it is therefore a matter for you whether you wish to update your BIOS…

As a rule of thumb only update it if you know that the newer BIOS file specifically addresses an issue that is affecting you…

Whatever, if you are going to do this then read the BIOS programming instructions *fully*.

Page 51 of your manual explains how to enter into your BIOS Setup interface.

Enter into your BIOS Setup and referring to page 81 of your manual ‘Press F5’ and ‘Load Setup Defaults’.

Referring to page 66 of your manual, and if you are not using one or either ‘Onboard Serial Port 1’ or ‘Onboard Serial Port 2’ then adjust your BIOS and free up those IRQ’s and ‘Disable’ them; serial ports could be used for external modems so you should disable only what you know you do not need…

By default if you disable ‘Onboard Serial Port 1’ you will release IRQ 4 and if you disable ‘Onboard Serial Port 2’ you will release IRQ 3.

Referring to page 67 of your manual, you could do the same with your ‘Onboard Parallel Port’; the parallel port could be used for a printer so you should disable only what you know you do not need…

By default if you disable your ‘Onboard Parallel Port’ you will release IRQ 7.

By default the integrated audio will share an IRQ with PCI Slot 3, which is means it will be sharing an IRQ with your DV500, and whilst that may not matter as you are appear to be using a Creative Labs audio ‘board I therefore suggest that (staying on page 67 of your manual) set the ‘Onboard AC97 modem controller’, ‘Onboard AC97 audio controller’, (and now referring to page 68 of your manual) additionally the ‘Game Port Function’ and ‘Onboard Legacy Audio Support’ *all* to ‘Disabled’.

If you do have a Creative Labs sound card then, if necessary, you will be using the ‘Game Port’ function on that.

Refer to pages 79 and 80 of your manual and for Windows Millennium Edition adjust your BIOS to set ‘Plug and Play OS’ to ‘Yes’.

Still on the same screen and on referring to page 80 of your manual set ‘Reset Configuration Data’ to ‘Yes’.

Now ‘Press F10’ and ‘Exit Saving Changes’.

This will ‘reboot’ the system so allow Windows to fully initialise and then retest the function of your DV500.

If it still crashes, don’t despair yet!

Shutdown the system and re-enter the BIOS Setup and referring top page 69 of your manual assign the following ‘Slot 1 IRQ’ to 11 and ‘Slot 3 IRQ’ to 10.

Now ‘Press F10’ and ‘Exit Saving Changes’.

Btw, as your system ‘boots’ (and I know how fast this system can ‘boot’) you can check to see the ‘real’ IRQ assignments of various devices including your ATI display adapter, your DV500 and your Creative sound card by being prepared to press the keyboard ‘Pause’ key, just after the system has completed detecting the hard disk drives and when you see the monitor screen start to refresh; if you catch it just right you can pause the screen and make a note of the IRQ assignment.

Let’s see how you get on.

Cheers!

------------------
Paul

Paul Dutton
DVdoctor R&D