Win2000 prof. setup

1 reply [Last post]
Bambee

Hello, I have a question on how to install "win 2000 professional" on a hard disk with no previous operating system on it.
I have already tried to perform a clean install of win2000 on my hard disk having win98 on it, and the win2000 setup seems to be leaving win98 on the disk creating a second partition on the drive where win2000 will be installed, basically letting me have two O.S. on the hard disk, while all I want is to wipe win98, and have just win2000 on it.
I have tried to format the drive as "fat32" and start the win2000 setup from DOS, but this setup won't start from DOS.
I suppose the only way to make the win2000's setup start is to have a previous O.S. on the disk, and run win2000 setup from the CD ROM, with the problem of win98 not being wiped out after the win2000 install. Does anyone know how I can resolve this problem?
Thank you, Bambee.

WDB

The Windows 2000 CD is bootable, so resart and boot from it...take your time and read all the directions and options carefully.

At a point soon after bootup, it will display a list of drives and partitions waiting for you to give it directions...choose to delete the partitions on the drive, then create a new one and format it in NTFS...finish up the rest of the install from there.