Windows 2000 and AMD based systems

2 replies [Last post]
jlrichards

Just a post to help out anyone who has an AMD based system and is experiencing system hangs following Win2k installation.

I have had this problem, (7 hangs in 2 hours...very frustrating!), and went searching for related information.

It seems that a Windows 2000-based computer may stop responding (hang) when you use an Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) program such as Ziff Davis 3D WinBench 2000. This behavior may occur more frequently depending on the computer's processor, memory, and graphics configuration. This problem is known to occur with Nvidia GeForce 256 and Matrox G400 video adapters on computers with AMD Athlon processors. This issue is not specific to any particular video adapter type.

The fix and detailed cause can be found at:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q270/7/15.asp

It basically tells instructs you to add a key in registry...NOTE: be careful when editing registry settings!

Hope this information can help others migrating from win9x to 2k too or have been tempted to do so by the 3 part series in the Computer Video mags (Sept, Oct, Nov 2001 editions).

Bob, if you read this, it may be worth a mention in the mag. It could prevent a lot of frustrated readers, like myself.

regards,

James Richards

Arthur.S

Wish you'd seen my pleas for help on the main board. This sounds like what I was experiencing. Will check out that MS link.
Thanks.

CJ Fox

I have just built a new system comprising of a

Tyan MP S2460 twin Athlon XP1600+ Matrox G400 and WinXP pro. SB Audigy

I get similar hang up and serious crash from time to time.

Memory parity errors occasionaly.

Some Conflicts exist - AMD 762 processor to AGP Controller & G400 Dual Head
SMC EZ card & OHCI IEEE 1394 Hosy Controller

I have the raptor Rt installed but i had crash problems beefore doing so.

I do not have AGP programs stated but could XP be causing the same symptoms.

I have installed latest drivers - but thinking of installing Win 2000 pro

Any advice welcome?

Chris
PS Bob I have since read your Dec article on XP

quote:Originally posted by jlrichards:
Just a post to help out anyone who has an AMD based system and is experiencing system hangs following Win2k installation.

I have had this problem, (7 hangs in 2 hours...very frustrating!), and went searching for related information.

It seems that a Windows 2000-based computer may stop responding (hang) when you use an Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) program such as Ziff Davis 3D WinBench 2000. This behavior may occur more frequently depending on the computer's processor, memory, and graphics configuration. This problem is known to occur with Nvidia GeForce 256 and Matrox G400 video adapters on computers with AMD Athlon processors. This issue is not specific to any particular video adapter type.

The fix and detailed cause can be found at:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q270/7/15.asp

It basically tells instructs you to add a key in registry...NOTE: be careful when editing registry settings!

Hope this information can help others migrating from win9x to 2k too or have been tempted to do so by the 3 part series in the Computer Video mags (Sept, Oct, Nov 2001 editions).

Bob, if you read this, it may be worth a mention in the mag. It could prevent a lot of frustrated readers, like myself.

regards,

James Richards