Windows 2000

29 replies [Last post]
StevenBagley at Uni

I like the windows 2000 article in September's CV, should be a good guide for people upgrading.

How about including some reader's tips along with the main article?

Having used Win2k since dec '99 and WinNT before that -- I'll start the ball rolling.

x Don't upgrade an old copy of windows (either 9x or NT), but perform a clean install, as this gives a much more stable and faster system. Also, lots of things have been moved in windows 2000 from earlier versions and these changes aren't performed when doing an upgrade (for example the profiles moved from WINNT/Profiles to a separate 'Documents and SEttings' folder), so you may find things aren't were you thing they are going to be... Also, my work machine was crawling with the default install (an upgrade from NT workstation that was imaged onto the HD), doing a fresh clean install cured that.

x Partition your drive sensibly when installing. Don't just go for the old Windows way of one big partition but separate it out. I tend to have one partition for the OS and one to install Programs onto.

x Also in above to that -- create a very small (16Mb) partition as drive C:, that is just used as a boot drive to boot win2k off the next partition. Not only does this make it far easier to dual boot a different OS (say Windows 98 for your games), they can then be installed on any partition on any drive -- but it also kills a lot of viruses (the email ones) dead as they are hard coded to look in C:\Windows or C:\winnt for things and as windows isn't on drive C: they crash. Its not going to be as good protection as a virus killer but everything helps.

x Rename the Adminstrator account -- this is especially inmportant if the machine is active on the net. It just stops standard hackers toys from getting in -- again only a little extra security (firewall it) but it helps.

x Use NTFS for the windows 2000 partition. Even if you don't use NTFS for anything else -- use it for the parition that Win2k is installed on.

Can't think of anymore today -- but those are the things I do on every machine I use and it makes them rock solid (my current win2k install is the same one I setup in dec 1999 -- the only thing done to it is to patch it with service packs).

See you earlier,

Steven

tim.callaghan

Hi Steven.

Cheers for the compliment. A lot of the points you have just raised are to in part two of the tutorial that CV are publishing and there's a lot more coming too. Clean Vs Upgrade, FAT vs NTFS, Partitioning and Dual booting, it's all in there. And, there's plenty left for part 3 too, when we go through registry hacking and tips to turbo charge Win2k and a beginners guide to home networking. Thanks for your input and as always everybodies comments help all the time. There is one thing you mentioned about the admin account that I hadn't listed for part 3, so cheers. I always remember on Server but not on Pro (actually, usually disable it instead).

Thanks again,

Tim

StevenBagley

What is it they say? Great minds think alike (or fools seldom differ) one of the two

The old Server/Professional differences (or rather a one file difference on the CD) -- I tend to prefer Server myself as I find it lays everything out far more sensibly than Pro does (though thats probably cause I started on NT server...)

Though if anyone wants proof of what Win2k can do for them -- I can run Premiere on my machine whilst things like Outlook and IE are running in the background collecting mail, etc. In fact, the other day I was playing back DV (via an OHCI card), when my Dad started printing something over the network and Outlook was fetching stuff off the net. All on a dual P2-350 system.

AT Uni, we had Win2k running on a old p233 with 32mb ram (though it did thrash a bit)

See you earlier,

Steven

Hawk

On reg Hacking, does any one know the hack to overcome the max 10 connections in Win 2 K Pro?

Cheers in advance (CIA)

Mick

Mick

WaveyDavey

I bought this month's mag, as I'm shortly due to be upgrading to Win2K.

Bit disappointed though that the article is going to be spread over THREE MONTHS. I was hoping to start the upgrade within the next two/three weeks.

I know it's a way of generating extra sales for the additional mags, but I think a lot more would have been sold if the article had been done in one hit, or at most two. I may have held on for the second issue before upgrading if it had been.

Now I'll rely on just the info I can get from the web, and other kind persons from this list etc.

Just my two-penneth.

Wavey.

tim.callaghan

Hi Wavey,

Unfortunately the tutorial is that big it has to be over 3 parts. If all of it had been put into one, you're talking about 24 -30 editorial pages. I think CV has a fixed quota each month so each page is valuable real estate. If it had not have been split up the rest of the mag would suffer. That's my opinion any Bob the editor, may want to clear up any of my thoughts.

Any way, if you think about it, it's only about 4 weeks and the guide that runs through the whole install is published, so I don't think that's an unreasonable time to wait. Well the 3rd part comes 8 weeks later, but that's for more advanced setups anyway, by optimizing, tuning and networking. So these shouldn't hinder your upgrade, but it gives you something to look forward to when it does come out so you can have a play, once you're comfortable with what you're doing too.

I honestly wouldn't say that CV have published it in 3 parts for further sales as it is a monster of a tutorial. I know, I've typed the blasted thing out (welcome to RSI-World), and it's just too big, even for 2 parts. But as you said you was looking to go for launch within 2-3 weeks. If you could hold on another week after that, you'll have the install guide and a whole lot more knowledge about the OS to aid a few more decisions.

If you do go through with it though, I'm usually knocking around to advise, but I do recommend waiting just for part 2. Maybe not part 3 as it is just pudding (tastes nice though), but you'll want a 20 minute break to let your main settle.

All the info is out there, and everbody will help on here, but if you drop one, then you may have to start again. Even with part 1 down your throat you should be in a better position than most I've come across.

Timbo

Stuart B-M

Dear Tim,

(Sorry steven for "crashing" your thread, but just wanted Tims opinion).

Is Bob the "Editor" Bob the "Builders" brother ?

Regards all.

Anonymous

A well written and informative article but I would also have preffered to see it over a maximum of two issues.

If the mag wasn't stuck at 98 pages and didn't insist on printing often unnecessary and always overly large dialogue boxes and splash screens there would be alot more space for real content.

tim.callaghan

Hi again,

I'm not trying to jump to anybodies defence here, as I know little about the Eds job (or any Ed for that fact), but I do know that other magazines that I purchase (usually IT based) do have more space used by content, by smaller diagrams or little at all. The problem with these magazines though is, if it doesn't look good and I'm not that interested, I won't read it, brilliant content or not. If the article looks appealing, I'll probably read it as it then becomes less of a chore on the eyes. I think the layout of CV is great and makes you want to read more of it. The only parts that I find unaesthetic are the message board and letters bit, and guess what, I usually skip it.

I was absolutely made up when I saw the formatting of Part 1 of the Win2k tutorial, as it made my work look 10 times more professional. If the screens had been omitted and we just had columns of text, I wouldn't have wanted to read it myself and I think others would have found it boring to read.

My 2p too

Tim

Keitht

I'm basically with Tim on this one although I'm not sure about the benefit of a screenshot of the startup screen and disk properties. Leaving those out however would not have reduced the tutorial to 2 issues. I seem to recall other tutorials running to several issues but nobody seemed to complain about those. I would say that some sections of part one aren't critical to the article e.g. TCO/ROI and the Win2K history but they do, IMHO, add to the completeness of the article. Layout etc is great, very readable and easy on the eye.

Regards

Keith

Regards Keith

bcrabtree

Everyone, myself (a relatively new user of Win 2K) included, would much prefer to have a tutorial series such as this presented in one go, rather than strung out.

Yes, there is an element of attracting readers to buy the next issue to get the next instalment, but, in truth the real decider is the amount of space that would be needed to do a major piece such as this in one issue - which would simply be impossible.

The only other way of doing it is to carry it in a cover-mounted booklet, but this, of course, costs us a substantial amount of money to do, and also means that no one can read what would be the first part of the tutorial until all parts had been written, edited, designed and then printed.

I think that the best option, therefore, is the one we'd already picked - do it as a series across a number of issues.

On the downside, one of the things that regularly happens (perhaps in one out of two series) is that we end up spreading the series over more issues than was intended - simply because the author and myself agree that there there is info that MUST be included but which can't be included if we stick to the original number of parts.

Proof of this is easy to find - just look at the series list that appears in Pt 1 of a series and then look at the list as it appears in the final Part.

This, may well turn out to be the case with Tim's series, cos Pt 2, which I've still not got round to looking at, is (as it currently stands) quite massive.

That is not intended to be a criticism - quite the reverse. Having actually got passed the planning stage (and Tim did his planning very thoroughly), Tim has discovered that writing things in sufficient detail has taken a lot more space than he had estimated.

What I've now got to do is sit down and see if I can somehow edit it so that nothing important is left out but that the word count comes down by close to half.

I can often cut down a tutorial by 15-20 per cent without a lot of trouble, but a 50 per cent cut is always a LOT harder and takes a LOT more time - and, right now, after just coming back from a two-week holiday, and with our final deadlines looming ever closer, I may not be able to find time to make anything like a 50 pc reduction.

If I find that I can't reduce it in size without losing anything important (or don't have time to do so), then I'll have no choice but to split it - which will result in there being one more part.

And, of course, it is always possible that the same dilemma will arise with what we had intended to be Pt 3.

Bob C

Keitht

So the truth is finally out. The entire problem is down to a lack of commitment by Bob C. Fancy taking holiday when there is a magazine to edit and with a major new series of articles to boot !! If he must take a break has he never heard of portable PC's and modems? :)

Regards Keith

Anonymous

Why does the magazine have to stay at the rather miserly 98 pages EVERY month?

Benfrain

Cost...

Which comes to an important point. I would gladly pay £4.99 a month for more content but does everyone feel the same?

I look forward to CV each month but its read in an hour!

CV can only publish as many pages as its economical to do! CVs current price is quite cheap (I think anyway), but because of this there are implications on the size of the mag each month. I know for a fact that some incredible tutorials have been but back by a couple of months because of editorial restrictions! (sorry Bob C - couldn't resist).

Maybe we should put it to a vote? Higher price - more content?

Independent Film
www.spiralfilm.com

tim.callaghan

quote:Originally posted by Benfrain:
I would gladly pay £4.99 a month for more content

Ditto

You've got my vote, but so much change surely can't be a good thing for a niche magazine.

Timbo

Anonymous

OK a few basics on how to reduce cost and make more use of what you have got

Stop printing on heavy weight glossy paper.
Get rid of margins of up to 2", a sensible amount of white space is always good but CV takes it to extremes. Restrict the use of massive point sizes in article titles. Oh yes and a very basic one here, stop playing musical chairs with column widths.

And once again stop the huge pictures. The shots of the Panasonic TC-M14K are nothing more than blatant padding which would be vaguely acceptable if it wasn't for all the bleating over lack of space. Even the 2K article has a first page which is only about 25% copy.

I am sure lots of people will disagree and say how much they love their copies of CV but having had considerable experience of publishing both before and after the advent of DTP it never fails to amuse me.

johnpr98

Tim

Migrating to 2000, Page 77, Picture 'Win 2k can easily change to multiprocessor'.

Upgrading from Standard PC to ACPI, Is this something thats easily reversable either way?

My setup is Rock Solid, however I am curious to see if there is better performance with ACPI (SuperMicro BX mb).

I expect it may be a good time to check that my ER disks are OK

Cheers

John Price
http://www.johnpr98.com

[This message has been edited by johnpr98 (edited 30 August 2001).]

johnpr98

If you have any Forum Suggestions please post them here

tim.callaghan

Right,

Interesting one here.

When going between single and multiprocessor hals on Win2k it has always been successful for me, but I have not had any conclusive results about changing from ACPI to Standard PC or vice versa. On numerous occasions, all be it on different machines, this has either worked or completely not.

Microsoft explicitly say that this is not recommended and it is a known problem that when rebooting you can get a bluescreen, so you have to do a last known good or use the ERD. But, why is is that on some machines I've done this (because I was curious) does it reboot fine and the reboot about another gizillion times and then all is fine????!!!!

Chewbacca, is a 7ft wookie, who lives on the forest moon of Endor with a bunch of 3ft Ewoks, ladies and gentlemen........it does NOT make sense!! (southparkers 'el get that one)

So my recommendation. If blue screens give you cardiacs, then don't do it. If you're a gambler or your pretty confident about using Last Known Good or ERD, then have a go, it's up to you.

Out of the machines I've tried this on and what friends in the business have tried I would say about 3-4 times out of 10 you'll get the angel of death, although dressed in blue with yellow writing all over him.

Timbo

johnpr98

Thanks for the input Tim

ACPI

On second thoughts, the web pages I've looked at recommend ACPI as a boon for notebooks due to the power management, Not a huge improvement for desktop's though, especially video editing as Power management on mine is set to Never.

I think ACPI would be useful if you were short of IRQ's as it puts loads of devices on IRQ 11.

I suspect the only improvement I'd see is that my computer switching off automatically after shutdown.

Convince me

Cheers

John Price

[This message has been edited by johnpr98 (edited 30 August 2001).]

johnpr98

WaveyDavey

Hi,

I seem to have stirred up a wee hornets nest methinks.

He he he.

Anyway, my two-penneth...

In order to maximise the coverage of the article, CV could have opted to cut out the glossary and contacts lists - four pages. This is in, as far as I can tell, every issue. I wonder if there's a way of reducing the buyer's guide too - though I must admit, seeing the rating in there now is much more useful than previous issues I've bought.

Cut down the letters/on the net pages - just for one issue, to allow the whole article to be incorporated.

Pages 16 & 18 could have easily been incorporated into one page, or omitted this time around to allow more space to be dedicated to the upgrade item.

Put the contents page on one page, instead of two.

Lots of ideas to save on space just for one issue, doesn't seem to me to be too much of a hardship.

Or, and the best idea: Make this a "special win2000 upgrade edition issue" and print as many pages are needed. Up the cost for this single issue, make it available in the shops for longer (as it's in addition to the subscription/monthly issues) and I think it would have been a winner.

There's a chance I may get part two, but I think I'll be wanting to get the best out of my system from the off, so will want the extra tweaks etc., asap rather than update/install or whatever I need to do in addition, a month later. I definately won't buy part two if - as it's suggested here - it looks as if it's going to be too big for a three-parter and ends up going over 4/5 issues.

Personally, I think the presentation looks great. Just a shame that the best bit, and most useful bit for me anyway, will probably be in Part 2/3/4 or even 5.

I guess you can't please all of the people at the same time etc..

Wavey.

tim.callaghan

Hi,

Part 2 has been sorted , so no worries there, and this tutorial is still gonna be a three parter not 4 or 5.

The tweaks are still going to be in part 3 so if you can't wait 'til then, drop us all a line here. If you don't learn a thing or two from part 2 or 3 then what are you doing reaing this tutorial in the first place?

Take the editing issues up with the Ed though.

Tim

Kolver

How about putting the article for sale on the net? - credit card no. and away you go.

bcrabtree

WaveyDavey,

Your suggestions about making changes to the mag to enable us to fit in the series in one issue are quite impossible to implement.

I have to stay within a (relatively small) editorial budget and the things you suggest would mean that my budget would be blown apart.

Now, I can just about get away with this in extreme circumstance, say when I'm working without a deputy (as I was for a month or so), but even this is frowned upon in a BIG way - the company does really expect me to get the mag out at close to budget irrespective of any and all circumstances.

Part of the reason why DVWorld mag couldn't be sustained was that its publishers poured in a huge amount of money without understanding the economics of what is, still, a niche publishing area.

When Future's overall profitability nose-dived, the company looked round for ways of saving money and saw almost immediately that the mag was not viable.

Doing things such as you're suggesting would definitely put CV in the same boat and mean the end of the mag.

Life isn't perfect and, sometimes, it's necessary to accept its realities. The reality is that CV is published on a shoe-string.

Our company closed one mag on Friday and most of us are expecting at least two others to go in the coming weeks.

I don't want CV to go the same way - though I would add that the mag is, of course, not in the same perilous position of the title we closed or those which I am expecting to see closed.

If you want to understand more about the economics of niche publishing, please browse this forum over the last year or so for postings made by me - the bare facts are there if you want to read them.

One thing I would say (and you'll see I've said this many times before) - is that it has been my view from day one that the mag's cover price is far too low; and I've never changed my opinion on that.

Trouble is our company is scared (perhaps rightly, I don't know) of pricing the mag out of the market.

We won't know the truth of the matter unless we bite the bullet and do bang on another £1 or £1.50 but, of course, it is possible that doing that will mean that a LOT of people stop buying the mag, even if (as is by no means certain), I were allowed to spend more on editorial pages - times being hard, the company might actually pocket the money to boost overall profits. In publishing, we live in dangerous times just now.

Bob C

Del Coe

Having just read the windows 2000 article.
I thought I would get the win 2000 readiness analyser from Microsoft.com & see if my system was ok.
Well 30 mins later & I still can`t find the link.
Any suggestions?
Having had CV since the very first issues I`ve been more than happy with the mag.
Good value for the money.

johnpr98

Google is a wonderful search engine & rarely lets me down. http://www.google.com/

I copied your query in as 'win 2000 readiness analyzer' (I used the USA way of spelling 'analyzer')

This came top of the list.
http://www.tweakfiles.com/diagnostic/windows2000readinessanalyzer.html

IHTH

Cheers

John Price

johnpr98

Del Coe

Thanks John
Downloaded the file. Now to check my system out.

MikeBus

No ones mentioned it yet but why can't we have the magazine on CD?, you could even include some of the massive usefull downloads that some of us without ADSL could use ( and it would save some trees!)

Mike

pacross

..but I don't want to read my CV mag glued to the computer screen. On CD it would be useful for reference perhaps - although I still like hard copy for that.

I am afraid that I am old fashioned enough to enjoy reading hard copy....

Pamela

------------------

Ron Spicer

Come on Bob. DV World didn`t just go because of the bits you mention. Competition was too great from our best source........! There`s ALWAYS someone with the "better" idea(s). As has been said many times - you can`t please all of the people all of the time - and proof of the present existence is in the fact that the Mag is still going. Good-on-yer!

Ron

Ron Spicer

TIM - nice one. Ta.

Ron