Yam DM1000VCM

3 replies [Last post]
Chrome

I'm looking into a change around of my audio mastering suite in the next few months and one of the units I'm considering is the Yamaha DM1000VCM - has anyone used this console?

It appeals because of it's compact dimensions, 18 busses and all 48 input channels at 96kHz and I want to improve my surround capabilities and this uses THX.

I'm a mac based studio and using Logic Pro... any insights or comments appreciated. :)

MAGLINK

All the Yamaha consoles offer good value and lots of features for the money I have two analogue consoles and have used the 001 and 002 in the past, there are only two things that put me off as a pro user.

1: The sound they dont tend to sound very musical or good and they can distort quite easily, you would be shocked to hear an A/B with a high end console.

2: The screens are a nightmare to operate in a post enviroment and you spend lots of time pushing buttons to get to the correct page.

Personally I have been lucky to fly AMS Neve consoles for most of my career and I am biased as I helped design their operational functionality when I worked there in the 90's, this has always been based on getting the maximum flexibility in an active post environment. In the case of surround it is really important that you have access to all the stems that can be built up during a full on mix and a lot of the cheaper consoles fall down in this dept and you can tie your brain in knots finding the correct control sections. The DFC is the ultimate audio post desk and skywalker sound use them (http://www.skysound.com/) but they cost a lot of £££ and that is why the yamaha's are such good value.

I am now a big pro tools user and have a humble 002 PT ver 8 set-up at home which now has 128 tracks and 48 busses. I dont do surround so the LE system is enough for most post needs and it all runs at 24 bit 48k.

At the end of the day do you really need lots and lots of inputs and physical buses?
If you have logic pro then would it not be better to get a high end controller to optimise your use of the software much like I do with my PT system?

Chrome

My current setup is a bit of a mish-mash... and the problem is my studio has really to serve multiple scenarios, so any advice would be welcomed.

The current set-up is based around... Logic Pro on my Apple Macbook Pro with a Tascam FW-1884 control desk and a Korg 5200 32-channel recorder and whilst the Korg is an excellent recorder and a great piece of kit overall it only records 48kHz/24 and I would like 96/24. I ised to have ADAT, but as I hardly ever transfer finished work to anyone else it seemed pointless. I can also mix down to a Tascam DAT master recorder.

The real problem is that I don't only want to record and master, but I also compose and write music. This means I also have a very complex midi set-up with multiple rack mounted synthesizers, rythm units, drum machines, effects modules, sequencers, keyboards and outboard effects units which plug-ins simply cannot replace... think a one-man 'Chemical Brother' lol :) One of the current problems is that the Tascam only has 8 physical inputs at any one time so I'm constantly having to patch stuff back and forth which is a real pain! In order to solve that I have one of the higher end Behringer desks (32 input channels) which is only a temporary fix to give enough channels for the moment. The way I work means I simply cannot do it a track or two at a time, I have to hear it all together or it does not work for my creative process.

I also thought of the Tascam DM-4800 combined with two of their 24 track recorders (or an X-498), but it's simply too over budget. If budget was no limit, and for the future I would like to build a mobile recording set-up which would cope with at least 24 inputs. :)

MAGLINK

Why do you feel the need for 96/24 bit I have only ever used 44.1/24 or 48/24.

The bit rate is more important than the sample rate and 44.1 / 48k is well enough for most things, in TV land its all 48/16 anyway but there are advantages in using 24 bit as it improves the headroom.

It sounds like you need a large desk for the music side but for post this is not as important unless you are doing high end drama with lots of inputs.

The yamaha will be a good cross over desk for you but if your budget can go to it you may be better getting a large analogue desk such as the audient and hooking up all your sources to it.

If I were to recommend an overall system then a HD pro tools rig with an Icon control surface will give you the mutts nuts for music and post and will also allow future expandability and compatibiliy with lots of other facilities. Be warned though it may cost up to £20k but it will be a superb speced system and integrated.
The PT LE 002 system I have is 7 years old but I have still been able to go to version 8 with the DV toolkit 2 and it gives me more tracks than I ever had on the AMS Neve systems.