131 gig drive size limit under win 2000 HELP!!

4 replies [Last post]
Imagine Video

:confused:

OK no stranger to installing drives and formatting them and getting on with life..........BUT I am feeling a little daft really!:confused:

drive in pc formats as NTFS and there is a max drive size of 131 gig or so from a 200 gig maxtor sata drive??

Any help woul;d be good at this point I have little hair as it is

windows 2000 pro / service pack 2 installed

bill:confused:

Alan Craven

Ah, the good old 48-bit LBA support! You will have to upgrade Windows 2000 to SP3, or better SP4, as SP2 does not support 48-bit LBA, and hence cannot handle drives bigger than 137 GB.

Your BIOS must also support this - check the manufacturer's web site.

You will also have to edit the registry.

This Microsoft document will tell you how to do this:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013

harlequin
harlequin's picture

cheapest and guaranteed way to handle this is to buy a cheap pci ata 133 controller card

Gary MacKenzie

sepulce@hotmail.com ( an account only used for forum messages )

Thinkserver TS140 , 750ti Graphics card  & LG 27" uws led backlight , Edius 8

Humax Foxsat HD Pvr / Humax Fox T2 dvbt

friend7339
How I clean drives for reinstall of Win2k

Go ahead and wipe the beginning of the drive with Darik's Boot and Nuke, http://dban.sourceforge.net/

that'll clear all partition info. You don't have to go very far in DBAN, a full wipe will take forever and is unnecessary, I usually go about .20% and then stop the process by hard rebooting. Since the wipe starts from the center of the disk, .20% is usually enough to wipe any erroneous partition, boot, MBR, etc. info that could be screwing up the drive to other applications such as FDISK, PartitionMagic, or other utilities-- including the manufacturer's original software. The process of wiping the start of the drive with DBAN should (for any HD problem that is software-related, not firmware- or hardware-related) make the drive appear factory new to the HD manufacturer's original software, which you are about to use.

Have ready a bootable CD containing the manufacturer's original drive installation software so that you can install the drive to full capacity in a DOS (pre-windows) environment. Then re-image your install of Windows 2000 onto the newly-prepared drive from whatever source file or bootable OS drive you have... this is also done in a DOS environment, I use the drive clone feature in Norton Ghost 2003's bootable floppy disk... but the above process should do the trick in most circumstances. Completely bypasses the Windows 2000 installer so that a) you are not confined to the 137 barrier and b) you do not waste your time doing a reinstall, as you should attempt to eliminate the need to reinstall by cloning and imaging your OS whenever possible. What happens once you boot into Windows is less certain, I do not know if a SP2 install will refuse to recognize the drive at full capacity beyond the 137 once it boots-- it probably will-- but you absolutely have to update your Windows 2000 install to SP4 so that it can see large drives. Then reboot and see if it recognizes the drive at full. If not, use an application like PartitionMagic to recognize the unused space on the drive and re-integrate it into the whole.

friend7339
of course,

it should go without saying that the DBAN operation described above will permanently, irrevocably and totally destroy any and all data that is on the drive. DBAN is a free, open-source program that is used by electronics recyclers to do to hard drives exactly what the name of the program says-- boot and then nuke them. Such a powerful program should not be used by the faint of heart, and even going .2 % into the drive will permanently destroy your data.