16:9 aspect ratio

7 replies [Last post]
Clare

I have some footage for a corporate video shot on a Sony DSR 500 in 16:9 aspect ratio using Mini DV tapes. I want to edit it using Adobe Premiere 5.1 and export it to Mini DV for duplication on VHS. I seem to be able to edit the footage with no problems but the image has an elogated, virtically squashed look. I have heard there is no way I can turn 16:9 back into 3:4. Can anyone advise me as to how I get the image to end up having the widescreen borders above and below so that the proportions are right?

s.hood

Clare did you setup the Premiere project with a DV 16:9/Widescreen profile?

------------------
regards
Steven Hood

MotionForge

regards
Steven Hood

Motion Forge

Clare

Steven, I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean, but in the project settings box I typed in a frame size of 640h by 360v which gave me 16:9 monitor windows and played back the footage in the right proportion, ie. not vertically squashed. I also ticked the 'maintain aspect ratio' option for the clips on the timeline. However when I export this to mini DV tape and play it back on my old 4:3 T.V. the image remains distorted. Is it possible to export the footage so that it plays back in the right proportion as a widescreen video?

s.hood

Clare - when creating a new project select the DV-PAL 48Khz Widescreen project preset. That will setup everything correctly.

What device are you using to record to miniDV tape?

------------------
regards
Steven Hood

MotionForge

regards
Steven Hood

Motion Forge

Clare

Steven - thanks but Premiere 5.1 does not have a DV-PAL 48khz Widescreen project preset. Does Premiere 6.0 have it ?

I'm using a Sony GV-D300E miniDV Walkman to export to tape.

Regards
Clare

PerryMitchell

Basically you want to keep a 720x576 frame size but to squash the image vertically to 75%. You do NOT therefore want to maintain aspect ratio.
Remember that technically a letterbox video is 4:3, NOT 16:9.

Clare

If I keep a 720 by 576 frame size the image is vertically squashed, but I can't deliver squashed images to the company for their promotional. I need to know how to turn squashed back to widescreen so that everything looks normal for them. All help appreciated.

s.hood

Premiere 6 does have this preset. Are you wanting to produce a widescreen movie or are you trying to use widescreen footage in a standard 4:3 movie?

If it is the latter try scaling the 16:9 footage down to fit the 720 pixel width of standard DV (720x576). By doing that you will maintain the aspect ratio of the 16:9 source footage (ie no distortion) and have the black at the top & bottom of the image.

After building the preview the video should be perfect, but smaller than the original.

------------------
regards
Steven Hood

MotionForge

regards
Steven Hood

Motion Forge