23.98 monitoring

13 replies [Last post]
Rob James

Title says most of it. I'm looking for a cost effective way of monitoring 23.98 timelines via HDMI in FCP and, more important to the current project, Premiere.

All advice gratefully received.

Rob The picture is only there to keep the sound in sync

tilski
tilski's picture

I've used Blackmagic's Intensity Pro card for monitoring via HDMI. I wasn't happy with the results but then again a friend of mine thought it was spot on.

What's to become of us.... What is to become of us?

Rob James

Thanks Tilski, the Intensity Pro was my first thought, but according to the Blackmagic website it doesn't appear to support 23.98.

PaulD

Hi
Traditionally 23.98 has been monitored using pull-down to make 29.97i for an interlaced monitor.
Presumably the Matrox MXO/MXO2, or any of the various video-out cards, do something similar to make 59.97p for a flat-panel monitor.

Rob James

Hi Paul,

The MXO 02 Mini works (if Matrox can be believed) but there is no mention of Premiere (Mac) compatibility in the MXO 2 specs. (I know the original post mentioned FCP, I was hoping for an easy life but it isn't to be :()I have a guy coming over from the states with a pile of hard disks containing a Premier 23.98 project and I need to be able to look at and hear it in surround. On this occasion it's the sound we're interested in so we just need to be able to see the picture in sync.
MXO 2 would be ideal, IF it works with Premiere CS4.

PaulD

Hi
Quote:
Works with Mac and PC, laptops and desktops.
Works with your favorite applications including Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Photoshop, and more.
http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2_mini/features/

dominicwitherow

Unfortunately, according to Matrox support, the MXO2 does not currently support Premiere Pro CS4 on a Mac (it does on a PC, though - confusingly presented on their product spec pages). They are apparently working on an update to correct this, but there is no ETA yet either.

As a user of the original MXO, I can testify to the quality of its output, so it'll be worth checking back with Matrox soon to see if they have released the update.

There's not much available that will monitor PP Mac via HDMI at 23.98fps. BUT, the Blackmagic Decklink Studio does pretty much everything anyone could want with relation to I/O on a Mac, including specific support for PP Mac and it has HDMI as well as all the other possible connections - balanced audio is via 1/4" jacks, rather than XLR. It will only work on an Intel MacPro. Costs about £600.

Dominic

Rob James

Hi Paul and Dominic,

I know the MINI will work but i don't think it supports 23.98

Dominic - thanks for penetrating the Matrox support fog :) That was pretty much what I thought they meant but I was hoping somebody actually knew and you do. Looks like patience is going to be required.

Alan Roberts
Alan Roberts's picture

Just remember that the only reason for having footage at 23.976 is to do a 2:3 pulldown to 59.94 for what Americans call 'film motion' in an NTSC-type field stream, which is not what those of us in PAL land call film-motion. So, your monitoring MUST be at 59.94 with 2:3 pulldown (or, preferably with Panasonic's improved version, psfa, 2:3:3:2).

Get my test cards document, and cards for 625, 525, 720 and 1080. Thanks to Gavin Gration for hosting them.
Camera settings documents are held by Daniel Browning and at the EBU
My book, 'Circles of Confusion' is available here.
Also EBU Tech.3335 tells how to test cameras, and R.118 tells how to use the results.

Rob James

Since I never do anything other than 50i and 25p (although I'd love to do 50p) this is not a problem I've encountered before. This material is Sony EX originated at 23.976 and destined for progressive scan DVD/Blu-ray.
However, before it gets anywhere near that, the sound needs mixing. Given all the other nightmarish ways in which lip-sync can get screwed up (video display delay for starters) it seems to me that sticking with 23.976 for now removes at least one variable from the equation.

Alan Roberts
Alan Roberts's picture

Yes, keep it in native format until it's completed.

You can dump it to Blu-Ray as 23.976, and all the BD players should play it (that's how many BDs are made anyway, including BBC's Planet earth, despite being originated in 25p, it was standards-converted to 23.976 for BD). DVD will be a bigger problem. The easiest solution is to complete the edit, and then export it at 25p, speeding up by 4.1%. This is how we deal with feature films anyway, so my be the best solution. Not sure how you do that in your NLE, but it's the way to go.

Get my test cards document, and cards for 625, 525, 720 and 1080. Thanks to Gavin Gration for hosting them.
Also EBU Tech.3335 tells how to test cameras, and R.118 tells how to use the results.

Rob James

Thanks Alan, I'll pass that on. One thought though, since this is a US project isn't 24p more appropriate for the DVD?

Alan Roberts
Alan Roberts's picture

Ah, yes, if all the output is for the US, then stick with 23.976 and burn it to BD and DVD without conversion.

Rob James

Thanks Alan, yes, primarily for US, we're tail-end Charlie as usual...