580 EX flkash gun suitable for the EOS 10D?

5 replies [Last post]
tom hardwick

Guys 'n' galls - I need to buy a flash gun for my Canon EOS 10D and have been looking at the new 580EX which sells for a pretty dear £280 or so.

Question is, am I over-reacting here, and is a lesser specked flashgun in the EX series more suitable and compatible with this 4 year old camera?

Your thoughs, as ever, much appreciated.

tom.

red

Although compatible with your camera, all the reviews I've read seem to indicate that 20D and 1D onwards users seem to get the most out of it. For the 1D they even recommend you keep your firmware updated to maximise benefits from this flash.

I have one and although pricey they are very good. Apart from being a superb flash it has quick recycling time and is instantly ready from switch on. Stick 4 rechargeable 2500 mAh in them and they'll go all day.

Have a read here, there's some interesting comments from pro 'togs after the review.

http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/580ex/

foxvideo
foxvideo's picture

Take a look at the Sigma EF - 500 DG Super and save yourself over £130. Has all the functions of a Canon flash. I use one with my 20D and get great results, add a Stofen (£15) for even better results.

Dave Farrants Fox Video Editing

HallmarkProductions

Tom,

I am just about to sell my 420EX which has had very little use on my 10D - contact on Tuesday or after if it is of interest. It works perfectly, and is adequate at very least for 99% of uses.

Chris

Chris
Time for a new signature now...

Senu
foxvideo wrote:
Take a look at the Sigma EF - 500 DG Super and save yourself over £130. Has all the functions of a Canon flash. I use one with my 20D and get great results, add a Stofen (£15) for even better results.

ditto

svh

tom hardwick

Thanks for all your input guys. I've ordered the big Canon 580EX which should arrive tomorrow, and I'll report back.