A3 Scanner esp Epson GT15000

7 replies [Last post]
Gerard212

I would appreciate infomation on the use of an A3 scanner, if anyone has purchased one - in particulat the Epson GT15000 seems reasonably priced on Dabs.com (while not being cheap(.

I wish to scan directly to PDF so ideally I would want it to coordinate with Acrobat 5, 6 Pro or ideally 7 Pro i.e. that once the document(s) have been scanned, it would be opened in Acrobat for editing / adjustment.

many thanks

Gerard Murphy

harlequin
harlequin's picture

1. Any scanner will integrate with Adobe Acrobat.
2. I have only ever used a4 scanners , BUT , Hand On Heart , I would use an epson over any other make of scanner.
3. The ieee1394 interface should make it extremely fast, i have the epson 2580 photo scanner at work , and on usb2 , it doesn't half scan fast ..... but does take a while to initially power the lamp , something the GT15000 is better at doing.

Gary MacKenzie

sepulce@hotmail.com ( an account only used for forum messages )

Thinkserver TS140 , 750ti Graphics card  & LG 27" uws led backlight , Edius 8

Humax Foxsat HD Pvr / Humax Fox T2 dvbt

Gerard212
A3 Scanner

Thanks, Gary
Another method of producing a pdf of an A3 page that has been suggested to me was that of photographing it with a digital camera (e.g., 8 megapixel) and bringing the resultant jpeg image into adobe acrobat.
Is that a reasonable option (as the camera, while being expensive, is not bulky and can be used for digital photography also)?

Gerard

rongrover

Hi. If you have not yet got fixed up here is a link worth looking at.
Don't be put off by the very very cheap price of the Scan Express at £81.98, yes, £81.98 for an A3 Scanner. I have seen work done on this by artist who want to copy their paintings etc. It is not that bad with photos either.

For something much better the Pro version P3600 is £489.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3Delectronics-uk%26field-keywords%3Da3%20scanner%26results-process%3Ddefault%26dispatch%3Dsearch/ref%3Dpd%5Fsl%5Faw%5Ftops-2%5Felectronics-uk%5F6982656%5F1/202-2238827-0394231

Regarding using a digital camera, yes it will work ok. I have done many for artist. (but they have now got their scanner!!!)

I am not sure what you want to use it for, but these may well be ok.

However, as Gary said, Epson are best, but at a price and this must be matched against cost effectivness relative to the quality of work needed.

All the best, Ron.

rongrover

A further point about Scanners. I have noticed that there are a few Epson GT-12000 on the market. They seem to be listed as very good graphic scanners, but do not actually mention use for scanning photographs.

Does anyone know if they produce a good quality for photography as against just graphics?

Thanks, Ron.

John Farrar

FWIW

To confirm what Ron said about the Mustek ScanExpress A3 scanner. I have one in the office and it is not bad at all. Not fast but it does what it says on the tin.
HTH
John

Gerard212
A3 Scanner

Thanks for the replies. I've ordered the Mustek ScanExpress A3 scanner from Amazon UK - reviews have been mixed for it on the net but it is inexpensive and if its unsuitable, i can send it back. Fast scanning speed is important to me but the price is very attractive.

I bought the Mustek Pro A3 last year from Overclockers but it would not work at all either on my home or work PC's and I had to return it so I don't think I'd like to try another one of that type (support from Mustek was minimal and unhelpful).Fingers crossed for the ScanExpress A3.

Gerard Murphy

Gerard212
Mustek ScanExpress A3 scanner from Amazon UK

This was an excellent buy indeed.

Many thanks for the recommendation