AMD ATHLON or PENTIUM processor? DV500 or Matrox RT200?

4 replies [Last post]
Matthew Tod

I am getting a PC built for video editing with either a Pinnacle DV500 or Matrox RT2000 capture card. I am thinking of going for a AMD Athlon 1000mhz CPU, but everywhere I see video systems with Pentium III's. Does it make a difference? Does anyone have any experience with either that may enlighten me? Plus I am unsure between the Matrox or Pinnacle card. I don't want lots of 3D effects, so maybe the DV500 is sufficient? Again; can anyone help?
(Plus, I am working to a deadline to get it up and running asap!!)
Thanks,
Matthew Tod

cresby

The DV500 is a mature product and should have most of the funnies ironed out. Can't speak for the RT2000 but at those prices you would expect better support. There is a problem with OHCI (cheap) firwire cards like mine with Athlons and Via chipsets (like mine). The Athlon Tbird is reckoned to be easy to make work because it has more on-board cache and is faster generally. Slot A is a dead end, the Tbird is socket only.
To be frank the odd percent speed improvement is a false friend if you have to spend hours updating drivers, you will spit fire!
Get two (or more) HDD's and make the video one as fast as your pocket! Set DMA on.
Let us know how you faired, you will have plenty of time to write while Premiere renders.
Ulead COOL3D is worth a consideration to generate fancy animated titles.

I just read that 1gig CPU's (any) and Win ME have a memory leakage bug, (RAM with scrapie??). There is a fix but it may be only through resellers so be warned or stick with Win98 SE and upgrade to DirectX 7 while you're at it.

If you read the Pinnacle webboard you may be horrified at the problems but only people with problems post, by and large. It is a good source for fixes of all sorts. Matrox may be similar.

[This message has been edited by cresby (edited 31 October 2000).]

Mr Red

cresby

read Computer Shopper this month (Dec issue) and see what pull journalists have with Pinnacle. DV500 dead in the water after that.

Mr Red

wilda

I don't think there is anything we did not already know in the Computer Shopper article. DV500 can be difficult to install and particularly if you change operating system.

However, it can be very easy (if you follow the instructions) - I installed mine on a AMD/VIA setup with no problems at all (and upgraded to 1.2 drivers)

Yes, Pinnacle support is c**p but then it is no worse than a lot of others.

Alastair

cresby

Actually on a sample of two, Pinnacle is the bottom of the list.
I trawl the Ulead site for COOL3D info and there are lots of problems for MSP and VS but not as many.
So Ulead have the support &/or product sorted or they cull the worst of the postings.
BUT I trust they don't, I trust them, they answer my questions. Pinnacle don't.
Maybe they don't sell as many products, and not hardware but I still have more confidence in them.
Evergreen make OHCI cards and told me their hotline is free, so they have confidence in their own product!
When a journalist can't pull rank, we won't get much support will we?
Where I bought my bespoke computer the guy has a DV500 and is fulsome with praise for they way it just worked. Mind you he is a smart cookie, PC wise.

[This message has been edited by cresby (edited 10 November 2000).]

Mr Red