Canon 300D

7 replies [Last post]
Peter Stedman

I must be getting old . . . . When I was a pro photographer the use of fill-in flash in sunny conditions was part of life. I now just use my Canon 300D for general social photographs using the built in flash.

But for the life of me I can't see how to use this built in flash as a fill-in outdoors. In other words, if the actual exposure is (say) 200sec at F8 how do I get the flash to fire at (say) F4 to provide just that blink of fill-in light? Can anyone help or isn't it possible? Pete

foxvideo
foxvideo's picture

Normally using FEC (flash exposure compensation) but the 300D does not have this feature for the pop up flash, only external flash units.

Dave Farrants Fox Video Editing

tom hardwick

What. can this be true Dave? Seems like a bit of a backward EOS step to me.

foxvideo
foxvideo's picture

From DPReview: LINK

Flash
• Auto pop-up E-TTL auto flash
• Guide number approx 13
• Modes: Auto, Manual Flash On/ Off, Red-Eye Reduction
• X-Sync: 1/200 sec
• No flash exposure compensation for internal flash

Dave Farrants Fox Video Editing

Peter Stedman

Thanks . . . Perhaps I'm not so old after all! Pete

Arthur.S

Isn't manual flash on/off the same thing?

DV Ed

No, The flash auto sets its brightness, there is no way to alter this (other than a software hack) This used to wind me up, now I have a 10d so im happy agian :)

Chris.

I posted in reply to your other post re 300D flash. The 300D actually has a few features of the 10D, but they've been crippled by Canon. One is FEC, some hackers realised that they could take 10D and 300D firmware and produce a hybrid that gives 300D owners some 10D features, including FEC. There's the Wasia hack and the Undutchables hack. I used the Wasia one when I had a 300D and it worked perfectly.

Suggest you look at this site: http://bobatkins.com/photography/digital/digital_rebel_firmware_hack.html