Canon 300D

18 replies [Last post]
Tony Carter

Is this camera still considered a good buy - I saw it in Jessops yesterday with lens for £499 (after £100 cashback) ? Tony C. :eek:

TonyC

DV Ed

YES YES YES YES. I love this camera I have had mine since august and have so far taken over 3500 images. On line I have seen it for as low as £450 inc lens. At this price its simply unbelevable.

Tony Carter

Hello DV_Ed, Thanks for your reply. I shall be in my local Jessops branch early this morning. Tony C.

TonyC

g3vbl

Depressing for those of us who, this time last year, had to pay £850.

I love it too!

Chris

Tony Carter

Well I think that I should thank all you guys who already have bought the 300D and enthused about it so. I did buy one today on the back of your favourable comments and I can't wait to get to grips with it. Of course there is always a better deal if you wait longer, as I found out tonight when I saw it on Amazon cheaper than the price I paid and a free bag as well. Thanks very much and a happy xmas to you all. Tony C.

TonyC

busbyvideo

I paid £900 for it last november. You would never buy anything if you were waiting for the best price. I have enjoyed using it for the last year.

Mike

Jim Bird

Hi,

Has digital made photography easier/simpler, has it robbed the Pro’s of their some of their skills?

Anyone got a good reason why I should buy a EOS 20D before a EOS 300D?

Jim Bird.

DV Ed

Jim, I feel digital photography just accelerates the learning curve compared to film. You are able to see your results instantly and for free and then try again until you achieve what you want. EOS20D is a pro cam, if you have some SLR experience and you can afford it go for it! But the 300D is amazing value at the moment.

Jim Bird

Hi,

I spend a lot of my spare time outdoors with my video camcorder, I do get great photographic opportunities from time time time and as I have never used a stills camera (been videoing for 16 years constantly)I thought I would give the film revolution a miss.

I need some decent quality stills for DVD discs and covers, the bigger picture would be a calendar with a dozen appropriate visuals.

Possibly the EOS 20D would be a good option and be a bit more future proof, after all you can pick up a 20D for roughly the same price as the 300D was a year ago.

As far as the money side of things goes, I'm having to work over Xmas and New Year with very little time off.

g3vbl

One thing I have found with the 300D is that it seems a good deal less resistant to marking/scratching of the camera body than my earlier EOS cameras or, for that matter, my old FTb. As someone who 'takes snaps' rather than 'is a photographer' I like my equipment to remain mint and that has not proved possible with the 300D.

The ability to dial in 1600ASA, or 3200 with the hacked firmware, has proved a lifesaver when a tripod was unavailable. The least attractive feature has been the (kit) lens which is not very sharp beyond about f8. I'm sure the 17-40mm L USM would be an improvement but justifying the cost, more than the camera now, is not easy.

Chris

rongrover

At present I mainly use a Fuji 6900Z and have done so for the past 2 years. With this I have obtained good results including A3 size when using top settings with 6million in TIFF format.

However, I am getting asked more and more to take on paid work (after a successful exibition) and as such I feel I may need to upgrade if only to be able to add lens. So it seems that this 300D is an option. I am on a very restricted budget (being 68 and on low pension) another reason to earn a bit more money. My video work producing athletic coaching/training DVD's is also something I plan to be abit more commercial with.

I have read all the threads here about the Cannon 300D and it seems to have mixed reviews although most seem for it. But what keeps coming up is the need to get better lens than that supplied. Is this a major requirement? My work is mainly portraits

Has anyone actually used this camera for professional work, or do you really need the 10 or 20 version? Also what lens would be the best at the lower price range?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated
All the best, Ron.

Tony Carter

Jim and Ron, 300D

TonyC

DV Ed

the 300D is MORE than capable of pro work. Remember that it is basically a D10, with a few less options but thats mainly to do with the flash control - if you are serious you wont be using this anyway.
Regarding its cheap price and justifying having to spend more than the camera on lenses should not be a problem. The fact that the 300D is cheap does NOT mean that its output is. As I have said I have taken over 3500 photos from extreme closeup of wildlife creatures to long exposure firework images. The quality/price per pixel is simply amazing, and is in my opinion perhaps impossible to beat.
Re the standard lens. Its an excellent all rounder. OK so it does feel a bit plasticy expecially compared so some of my old lenes. BUT it does do the job. 99% of the time I use this lens. Here are a few examples:

Close up on Stock lens.

3 sec exposure on stock lens full wide.

Simple enough that my girlfriend can use it no problem.. (stock lens full auto)

Night shot F6.3 2.0sec Iso200 with external flash on tripod. Hi everyone haha

Anyway like I have said. I cannot knock this camera, I came from a canon AE-1 program and this does everything I need, and what it doesnt I can workaround anyway

Ed

Chris.

I started with a 300D and was one of the first to enthuse about it on these forums. A few months back I traded up to a 10D, then last month I splashed out 3 grand on an EOS 1D MkII. I have some really expensive L series lenses as well.

In 95% of shooting situations that I encounter I'd get the same results as I'm getting with the 1DMkII as I would have got with the 300D.

The 300D is a brilliant camera and it is *EASILY* capable of professional results time after time. It will revolutionize your photography. Buy one.

Before somebody asks why is it then that I've upgraded I'll explain.

The L series lenses are expensive, but they hold their value, they are also very tough. They produce pictures that are very sharp with excellent colour and contrast. You don't need to tweak your images in Photoshop to get the best from them.

The more expensive camera shoots faster (8 frames a second), the focussing is a lot faster (especially with the L lenses)- you don't miss a shot waiting for focus or waiting for the camera to 'catch up') The camera is also very tough and also highly water resistant (no worries standing in the rain).

However, like I said at the beginning of this post, most of the time the 300D would perform just as well.

Chris Longley

DV Ed

Nice Camera Chris!!! :D :D
Re your comment about some camera gear holding its value well. Its such a good one. I've been using that alot lately to justify myself camera lenses etc.. haha

rongrover

Thanks everyone for the advice etc, I will be looking seriously after christmas.

PS, If anyone finds that they gave gear to sell due to new christmas presents, would like to know. Besides a camera I may be needing a epson 2100 printer and a decent monitor 19" or above suitable for photo work maybe a TFT

Happy Christmas everyone

All the best, Ron.

PS Chris, have sent another email.

Stuart B-M

Hi Chris,
What lens's do you use?
I also have the 1D MkII, but currently use only x3
17-40L-28-300L and 100mm Macro 2.8 these cover most for me although would like a longer telephoto.. perhaps even use/buy the sigma 50-500 with 1.4/x2 teleconvertor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Longley:
I started with a 300D and was one of the first to enthuse about it on these forums. A few months back I traded up to a 10D, then last month I splashed out 3 grand on an EOS 1D MkII. I have some really expensive L series lenses as well.

In 95% of shooting situations that I encounter I'd get the same results as I'm getting with the 1DMkII as I would have got with the 300D.

The 300D is a brilliant camera and it is *EASILY* capable of professional results time after time. It will revolutionize your photography. Buy one.

Before somebody asks why is it then that I've upgraded I'll explain.

The L series lenses are expensive, but they hold their value, they are also very tough. They produce pictures that are very sharp with excellent colour and contrast. You don't need to tweak your images in Photoshop to get the best from them.

The more expensive camera shoots faster (8 frames a second), the focussing is a lot faster (especially with the L lenses)- you don't miss a shot waiting for focus or waiting for the camera to 'catch up') The camera is also very tough and also highly water resistant (no worries standing in the rain).

However, like I said at the beginning of this post, most of the time the 300D would perform just as well.

Chris Longley

Chris.

Hi Stuart

I've got the 17-40L, the 70-200L, the 28-135 IS, and I've just ordered a Sigma 105 EX Macro. I also have the Canon 1.8 5Omm (incredible for the price, sharp as anything)

I've heard good things about the big Sigma (or Bigma as some nickname it)

How do you find the 28-300L I've been considering getting that and selling the IS lens and the 70-200 (I love that lens though)

Stuart B-M

Hi Chris,
Do NOT give up the 2.8glass...
The 28-300 is a fine lens, and great as an alround substitute,
However it is not a zoom replacement for the 70-200...(This is a GREAT lens), the 28-300 is a good one.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Longley:
Hi Stuart

I've got the 17-40L, the 70-200L, the 28-135 IS, and I've just ordered a Sigma 105 EX Macro. I also have the Canon 1.8 5Omm (incredible for the price, sharp as anything)

I've heard good things about the big Sigma (or Bigma as some nickname it)

How do you find the 28-300L I've been considering getting that and selling the IS lens and the 70-200 (I love that lens though)