Canon 350d 17-85 lens focus problem

6 replies [Last post]
TV joiner

I am finding it impossible to produce sharp results using the canon 350d / 17-85mm lens combination at any focal length except at the extreme 85mm end on medium to distant subjects.
The only way I get sharp results is by focussing manually. There is no problem with the 18-55mm lens supplied with the camera using autofocus.
I have tried selecting different focus points, turning IS off, wide open, stopped down, but the lens always backs off from infinity to around 10 meters.
I find this dissapointing as I was hoping to use this as a "universal" holiday lens and wouldn't really want to focus manually all the time.
Have any of you with the 350d/ 17-85 lens combination had this problem?
I have been in touch with Canon without much joy so far.

foxvideo
foxvideo's picture

If you're getting sharp results with the kit lens (18-55) then it almost certainly has to be a fault with the 17-85 and if it's been like that since you had it, you should return it to whoever you got it from, for a replacement.

Do you know anyone else with a Canon that can try it out for you?

Dave Farrants Fox Video Editing

JMCP

You can get lenses that need recalibrated, basically come out of the factory poorly set up. You should insist on sending it to Canon for recalibration or returning it to the vendor you bought it from for another copy and try it out in the shop if possible.

Cheers John

Dave R Smith

Possibly the 'contact strip' for making the electronic connections between lens and camera is damaged, or is contaminated. Visuallly compare the lens mount(contacts) to other lens.
Presumably it's brand new - take it back to retailer - or if mail order - return to them with prior phone call and consider credit card g'tee options as 'not fit for purpose'.

Is there a manual/auto focus slider switch on the lens?
If so, possibly the slider is disengaging from manual mode, but is there a positive click when put to auto focus?

TV joiner

Thank you for your comments, I will return the Lens from whence it came!
I should have tried it thoroughly when it first arrived (February), but had too many work commitments, there is a downside to buying on the internet as I can't just visit the shop as it is 300 miles away.

Richjay Services
Sell Digital Camera & Mobile Phones

deleted ...................

Dave R Smith

Richjay Services does not appear to be replying to any issues within this thread.
It appears to be a deliberate plug out of context and with no respect for the purposes of this forum.
Could you trust or deal with a company that shows such dis-respect?