Canon S800 or alternatives- opinions please

5 replies [Last post]
Keitht

The Canon S800 printer received very good reviews for speed and quality in PCPro a few months ago. Cheap it isn't but as I'm considering a new printer I would value other peoples opinions of it or any other inkjet printer that provides true photo quality. Typical printing speed for 10x8 of any printer would be valuable.

------------------
Regards

Keith

Regards Keith

buckers

I posted a similar question here a few months ago when the S800 first came out.

You may get more opinions at www.dpreview.com - quite an excellent site, there's forums for every make of camera and a forum for printers.

There are rumours of a new Canon to replace the S800, we have 4 people in the office about to buy one and are trying to get a deal. Jessops have done a pricematch for £293 inclusive.

There appear to have been issues with supply of inks/papers but this may have been due to the extraordinary reviews the printer got.

Adam

Keitht

Thanks for the link buckers. Very informative.

------------------
Regards

Keith

Regards Keith

Keitht

Following Buckers advise I visited www.dpreview.com. There were many comments about Epson blockages so I discounted them, particularly after reading about the comparatively high cost of replacement ink cartridges. Low cost but very low life apparently. Bottled out on the S80 because of price. Finally bought HP 990cxi. PcPro A list. For my purposes, general purpose printing but with good photo quality, it is superb. Photo print quality at 10x8 is stunning and fast; I thoroughly recommend. Only downside is single colour cartridge but I'll try refill when I need more. As the cartridge has print heads built in I figure there is nothing to lose. If is knackers the head I'm no worse off than with an empty cartridge anyway.

------------------
Regards

Keith

Regards Keith

buckers

S800 is very impressive indeed, but the best bit of all was that the company I bought it from online have failed to debit my CC (that was late October).

FYI - MX2 now sell Canon consumables at considerably better prices than Canon or Jessops.

There is a faster (S900) due in February, apparently. An A4 photo on the S800 takes about 2 minutes.

Adam

Keitht

Thanks for the comments folks. I finally went for the HP990cxi. Very happy with the results although the single colour cartridge may prove to be a problem if I go into large quantity printing. I use Kodak paper and am extremely happy with the results. It is also very fast.

------------------
Regards

Keith

Regards Keith