Creating a logo...

7 replies [Last post]
Nintembo
Offline
Joined: Jun 22 2004

Hi,

I am in need of a logo being produced for a documentary (for box art, web use and in the documentary itself).

I have been quoted in excess of £800 for this by a designer which I find somewhat excesive. I was wondering whether there are any programmes that out there which get profesional results, yet remain easy to use.

Thanks!

Rob James
Offline
Joined: Jun 26 2001

Software isn't the answer. You need talent. How much that is worth is up to you and the artist. If you don't fancy £800 then investigate local college talent. I suspect you will find someone willing to work with you for a lot less than that.

Rob The picture is only there to keep the sound in sync

foxvideo
foxvideo's picture
Offline
Joined: Sep 9 1999

Dave Farrants Fox Video Editing

Christian Lett
Offline
Joined: Apr 26 1999

£800 isn't bad for a decent logo. This might work out at two days of the designer's time, but what it's buying you is an identity - a good designer will listen to your company-or-business values and attempt to put them into logo form. It's an art!

When I designed the big and clever films logo it took a lot of trial and error (and a lucky accident) to come up with the stacked blocks, but once I saw it I knew it was right.

Ask the designer how they plan on coming up with the design, and maybe ask for a very rough proof-of-concept sketch - if you like it you'll commission it properly (from them, of course).

Christian

Christian Lett After Effects and Maya Artist www.quarterlightpictures.com

perproductions
perproductions's picture
Offline
Joined: Jan 2 2008

if you are any good with photoshop or any software like that i would have a go yourself!! if you don't want to pay out alot of money, maybe this is the answer

stuart621
Offline
Joined: Oct 24 2001
perproductions wrote:
if you are any good with photoshop or any software like that i would have a go yourself!! if you don't want to pay out alot of money, maybe this is the answer

As Christian and Rob point out, though, it takes some talent. A bad logo can say a lot about your company and put people off using you.

perproductions
perproductions's picture
Offline
Joined: Jan 2 2008
Quote:
it takes some talent. A bad logo can say a lot about your company and put people off using you.

I agree, but then you will have to expect to pay money out then.

Quote:
£800 isn't bad for a decent logo. This might work out at two days of the designer's time, but what it's buying you is an identity - a good designer will listen to your company-or-business values and attempt to put them into logo form. It's an art!

I agree!! I think £800 is probably a fair price!

Pavelware
Offline
Joined: Jan 9 2008

[Graphic Designer]What kind of logo are we talking about here?[/Graphic Designer]

Regards,
Matthew Alexander Patton (Cinematographer / Director / Photographer / Writer)
www.pavelware.com / [email=matt@pavelware.com]matt@pavelware.com[/email]