DSR PD170 video problem with wide lens hood, please help!

8 replies [Last post]
spidermedia

Hi,
I tested my new DSR PD170, shot with the wide angle lens-hood (but without wide angle lens). The video on the LCD and the viewfinder were normal. But when I captured the video (live) on my laptop (over ilink) the video frame showed the edges of the lens-hood.
The screenshot and two videos:

1. screenshot - against wall, full zoom out
2. Video 1 (mpg)
3. video 2 (mpg)

I read somewhere that the lens hoods supplied with wide angle lens can also be used with the normal lens.
The videos shows very strange unequal edges of the lens hood. I thoroughly checked the position and the fittings of the lens-hood, all were in perfect positions.
At the same time I placed the lens hood reverse (the front piece) and shot was fully OK. However, I read that one can attach the lens hood both ways.

Please help me to find out the problem.

Thank you.
Regards
P.Kris

tom hardwick

The wobbling of the image is because you have Steadyshot turned on, but that doesn't alter the fact that the hood shouldn't shadow the image at all. The v/finder, side-screen and your TV are heavily masked down - which is why it doesn't show on those.

Is the hood in perfect condition, not bent or dislodged at all? It's fitted correctly and securrely? The little barn doors fully retract into the body? Check with your instruction book again to make sure you're using the hood in the correct way.

tom.

spidermedia

The hood with little barn doors does not cause the problem. But the wide lens hood(LSF-S58), when attaching the outer piece reverse (exactly like when one uses the wide lens with hood, in this case without lens) causing the problem.

This could be my mistake, I should only use the hood, reverse attached.
Thanks
Cheers.

mooblie
mooblie's picture

You haven't got a UV filter on the lens?

Martin - DVdoctor in moderation. Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

spidermedia
Quote:
Originally posted by mooblie:
You haven't got a UV filter on the lens?

No. I am plannig to get one.

mooblie
mooblie's picture

I only asked because a UV filter on the standard lens interferes with the fitting of the WA adapter and hood - and it might have contributed to your problems.

Martin - DVdoctor in moderation. Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

spidermedia
Quote:
Originally posted by mooblie:
I only asked because a UV filter on the standard lens interferes with the fitting of the WA adapter and hood - and it might have contributed to your problems.

----------------------------------------
OK. Anybody had such a problem before? i mean the problem you mentioned.
So far, I dont have problems with WA adapter.
Cheers

abfab

I do not understand why you would want to use the wide angle lens hood without the lens

spidermedia

Well, it is comfortable to leave the hood, when one chages the WA adapter frequently.