Fuji Finepix 4700 fish-eye effect

2 replies [Last post]
Pierluigi

I have a Fuji Finepix 4700 and when I take photos at max res with no zoom I get a horrible fish-eye effect on the photos, straight lines of tables and walls literally are warped in on themselves, has anybody else had this effect, when you set the zoom to max the effect is gone, is this common to these compact digicams. I basically have to always zoom in to objects to photograph, which makes having a zoom lens pointless. My old Olympus 800 never had that effect, then again it didn't have a zoom lens.

Regards

Lui

Gordon Briggs

Hi Pierluigi,

I have the same camera and I don't have that problem. I changed my Kodak digital camera because that gave me wonky verticals, I tried two Kodak cameras and they were both the same.

That's why I paid the extra and changed to the Fuji, it seems like you may have a faulty lens, why not take it back with some examples of the fault printed out, that's what I did with the kodak.

I love the camera, the results are stunning.

Best of luck.

Gordon

GHBriggs

Pierluigi

Gordon,

I took the camera back to the shop with some examples, we tried two other cameras that they had in stock and both gave the same results, the salesperson said that this was an effect of having a small lens, he explained that the curvature of the lens will distort the image slightly causing the fish-eye effect. I can't believe this is true. The Olympus had a small lens and it didn't have the problem.

Any chance of e-mailing me a photo taken from your camera possibly of a side of a house or something vertical so that I could show the salesperson what the camera should produce.

Many thanks

Lui