iMac DV SE (500Mhz)

13 replies [Last post]
BabelDV

I am thinking of buying the above Mac for DV Editing. Is this a ggod enough system? I am totally new to DV Editing, and haven't even got a DV camcorder yet.

Also, is the iMac suitable for watching DVD's on; as this will be what it is also used for?

s.hood

iMac DV SE is a capable little number for sure. Get yourself a little DV camcorder that has DV in & out, and you are all set. iMac SE has DVD playback on the screen but no way of showing that on a TV.

------------------
regards
Steve

[ O U T L A W : S D G ]

regards
Steven Hood

Motion Forge

iMike

You can buy an adaptor for showing DVD on a TV - I think Eskape Labs do one.

BabelDV

Thank you s.hood & iMike for your replies.

I am now just waiting on Apple to send me the latest iMac brochures, before I finally decide.

bcrabtree

Brochures!

Er, why not look at the most up-to-date info - on the web?

Or am I missing something?

Bob C

BabelDV

No, bcrabtee. You are not missing anything. It's just that I like the feel of a physical brochure. Takes all sorts, doesn't it?

Tom

I use an ordinary iMac DV for video editing and it's excellent – iMovie 2 is a huge improvement on its predecessor. We also run Final Cut Pro on it, with extra memory, but it's not an ideal solution – the programme needs more screen space.

I've only watched one DVD on my iMac, and screen quality is not very good.

Tom Barrance
Media Education Wales

BabelDV

Thank you Tom for your reply.

I would probably look to get a bigger monitor for DVD-viewing.

bcrabtree

Er, how the hell do you get a bigger monitor on an iMac or (and you know what's coming next, don't you?) am I missing something?

;)

Bob C

iMike

You can plug an extra monitor directly into the iMac - for video mirroring only - as big as you can afford.

bcrabtree

Has this been the case since Day 1 or is it something that arrived with newer iMacs?

Bob C

dacquinh

quote:Originally posted by bcrabtree:
Has this been the case since Day 1 or is it something that arrived with newer iMacs?

Bob C

No, only the imacDV and imac (summer edition2000) have additional VGA-out ports.

The models before did not.

But of course, it is pretty irritating to have two screens (it is nothing like dualhead) with same display, and one os actually tthe computer.

I would opt for the cube

hendrik

s.hood

mmmmmmm.......c u b e.....

speaking/drooling of cubes - according to a post on xlr8yourmac.com a chap fitted a 80Mb Maxtor hard drive in one for editing DV and it works like a charm. Could it be the answer to DV editing in a confined space? Pity about the price tho huh....

[This message has been edited by s.hood (edited 27 September 2000).]

regards
Steven Hood

Motion Forge

bcrabtree

Just in case anyone wonders - the cost of the Maxtor 80GB is VERY keen!

The best I have seen so far is www.dabs.com, which offers the drive at £272, inc VAT!!

I'm just thinking back to the cover story we had in late 97 (early 98) about the Quantum BigFoot, which smashed the price/size ratio by offering 12GB for just £399!

Thats £33.25 per GB, compared to £3.40 per GB for the Maxtor!

Looked at another way - that's £7.37 per minute of DV storage on the Quantum and 72p per minute on the Maxtor!

I wonder what size of drive we'll be lusting after next year????

And what the cost per GB and per minute of DV storage will be?

Bob C