Mac OS X Lion £20.99

21 replies [Last post]
Lusky

and that is for five licences, fantastic value. Going by that price exchange $29.99 in US £20.99 in UK that could well mean that Final Cut Pro X is £210 again for 5 licences. looking forward to it all

John Paul

mooblie
mooblie's picture

Why do I feel completely underwhelmed - in fact: apprehensive - about the fact that it looks like iOS on my desktop Macs... I don't think I want that.

Mr.Grumpy

Martin - DVdoctor in moderation. Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Lusky
mooblie wrote:
Why do I feel completely underwhelmed - in fact: apprehensive - about the fact that it looks like iOS on my desktop Macs... I don't think I want that.

Mr.Grumpy

I think if you don't want the iOS features then you will be fine to use as you normally would, but having just got a Macbook Pro, I've found the gestures in snow leopard fantastic to use, especially when surfing etc

John Paul

dominicwitherow

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out that to get all the multi-threading, background rendering etc in FCP X it will require using Lion. The initial cost seems very reasonable, but I shudder to think what an upgrade might do to my peripherals and plug-ins etc. I hope to be wrong ...

PaulD
mooblie wrote:
...iOS on my desktop Macs... I don't think I want that.

Hi
What's gone for good in Lion is QuickTime (as we knew it v1.2-7.6). Probably gone for good is QT X...
Of course the brand name will probably be reassigned to the new incarnation - AVFrameworks, which works fine with Snow Leopard so we are told.

An iPhone or an iPad using AVFrameworks can handle AVCHD editing natively without blinking. Can your current OS X Mac Pro with 100x the resources do that?

Of course you want the codebase of iOS on your Mac Pro/MBP ;)
Apple has had 3+ years to get iOS 'right'...

And if 'file-handling' is replaced by databased 'document handling' that's just another paradigm in the march of progress.
Like we no longer have A:, B: and C: drives. :)

stuart621

Somehow I was chosen to test the betas and I think it's great. I like loads of the new features like command centre and full screen apps. The scrolling by using the trackpad works in the opposite direction to what you would expect (to make it more iOS-like) but this can be changed in System Preferences if you really don't like it.

The new-look Mail is like the MobileMe version and there are loads of other improvements. On the whole, though, you can pretty much ignore the iOS-type look of it if you want.

Gavin Gration

Does the OS upgrade include iMovie etc?

We only have one neglected iMac - I think it's on Tiger but no discs came with it. I wouldn't mind getting it cleared out and up to date - may buy FCP when released.

What is the upgrade path/cost?

stuart621

No iMovie etc but it only costs about £9 from the App Store, I think. I don't think there's any upgrade option but at that price, it's pretty good for a full install.

Gavin Gration

I want to wipe it and do a full install incl. FCP. iMovie is only required for compatibility with incoming jobs.

HallmarkProductions
Lusky wrote:
and that is for five licences, fantastic value. Going by that price exchange $29.99 in US £20.99 in UK that could well mean that Final Cut Pro X is £210 again for 5 licences. looking forward to it all

We have multiple macs, but, how does the above work? How do you register the fact that you have more than one mac, on the same account, at the App store?

Chris

Chris
Time for a new signature now...

foxvideo
foxvideo's picture

You "Authorise" your devices or machines through iTunes, you can authorise up to 5 at the moment but reading the blurb from WWDC it seems this limit is being dropped.

Dave Farrants Fox Video Editing

MAGLINK

I think the software licences are managed through the update process as they then have details of how many machines have the same registration code for the software.

Maxwell

I think Snow Leopard is a good software and now we are moving into the phase of those people who been using their iPad/iPhone etc and transferring some of the idea to LION.
Sorry to say half of the lectures and demo on the new software i could not understand. If i did invest i guess i would need to ditch my mouse.
I embrace new technology and Apple seem to have the formula.
Now what comes after LION? LIONESS?

Lusky
HallmarkProductions wrote:
We have multiple macs, but, how does the above work? How do you register the fact that you have more than one mac, on the same account, at the App store?

Chris

ypou sign in on the Mac App store on any Mac and it'll register that Mac to that Apple ID. It'll let you register 5 macs with an Apple ID.

You buy and install OS X Lion on one Mac for £20.99 and whenever you log on to the App store on the other Macs you go to the purchased tab and download it

You can only get Lion on the App store so you need to be running the latest version of Snow Leopard. I don't think Apple have said if anyone on older systems can update.
'd like to know if I install Lion and in 6 months time need a fresh install, then how do I do it? Would I need to install Snow Leopard first the redownload Lion from the App store?

John Paul

HallmarkProductions
Lusky wrote:
ypou sign in on the Mac App store on any Mac and it'll register that Mac to that Apple ID. It'll let you register 5 macs with an Apple ID.

You buy and install OS X Lion on one Mac for £20.99 and whenever you log on to the App store on the other Macs you go to the purchased tab and download it

You can only get Lion on the App store so you need to be running the latest version of Snow Leopard. I don't think Apple have said if anyone on older systems can update.
'd like to know if I install Lion and in 6 months time need a fresh install, then how do I do it? Would I need to install Snow Leopard first the redownload Lion from the App store?

Thanks for all of this. However, if you buy a new mac, you will presumably still get discs with it? I wonder also if you WILL be able to buy a boxset from the Apple store? I did not see anywhere that it is ONLY available from the App store. Slight tangent, but Apple store and other resellers must be a little concerned that their higher-margin products like software are being effectively removed from their shelves. I understand that the margins on the hardware are very small, and the real profit comes from software and peripherals sales. makes you wonder how long retail stores can last, doesn't it?

Chris

Lusky
HallmarkProductions wrote:
Thanks for all of this. However, if you buy a new mac, you will presumably still get discs with it? I wonder also if you WILL be able to buy a boxset from the Apple store? I did not see anywhere that it is ONLY available from the

The Apple site only talks of the App store but doesn't say ONLY available through the App store, but tech sites have said this, so really anybody's guess at this point.

With the Macbook Air you get the OS on a USB stick as it has no CD drive, this might be a trend that continues.

You might find that you don't get a reinstall disc or USB stick and instead you have an option to restore in the menu as you do with iOS. Then sign in with your Apple ID and it restores your Mac frm Cloud Back-up

John Paul

HallmarkProductions

Yes, good and interesting points.

Another nail in the coffin of Data DVDs too then! :)

Chris

MAGLINK

A lot of software such a my Pro Tools has gone download managed only as it cuts down on shipping and duplication costs.
Once you have downloaded it you can burn a copy to disc so you can put it on other machines or just use a USB stick to transfer the software.

We also developed this at AMS Neve when I was there and it allowed us as software managers to look after systems better and update with bug fixes a lot easier, certainly all my panasonic P2 software comes this way as does most of the plug ins I own.

Downside is that I only have 500k broadband but I just leave it running overnight or as a background task.

HallmarkProductions

See my thread above in Bargains - get itunes cards at a massive saving from Co-op this week

Chris

Ron Spicer

With all Apple's previous business methods showing what normally to expect, I just can't believe that there isn't a catch! Initial cheapee followed by constant, ongoing additions/requirements to the system?

HallmarkProductions

Can't agree with you on that Ron - Apple software operating systems have been consistently cheaper than Windows, and regular upgrades provided free of charge.

Chris

MAGLINK

Yes their updates are very good value, snow leopard made my five year old macbook pro run faster and gave me some disc space back too!