? .mts files in FCP 5.1.4

8 replies [Last post]
BrendanK

Medical colleague has handed over 3 16gig SD cards with video clips from training session to turn into DVDs.

I'm just running the video (via his camera) into a domestic dvd recorder to get the job out.

Considered preparing something a little more professional till I discovered they were .mts files...

NHS will not purchase upgrade...

Anybody used VOLTAIC? they might reimburse me for this!!

or do you have a way of using MTS files in timeline?

cheers

dominicwitherow

Probably easier to just copy the files direct from the card and use a software solution to convert them into an FCP friendly format. What format are the video files on the SD cards? What camera? What final output format is required?
D

BrendanK

FILERYPE .mts files

CAMERA Canon legria hf200

FINAL OUTPUT - .mov or DV so that I may use them in timeline of FCP 5.1.4.

At present I'm running the video and audio into a domestic dvd recorder to produce a dvd for distribution to the students involved, allowing playback via pc or set top dvd player. It works but clumsy menu and navigation...

foxvideo
foxvideo's picture

MPEGSTREAMCLIP should open and export to FCP DV codec for free.

Dave Farrants Fox Video Editing

dominicwitherow

Brendan, Dave's advice re MPEG streamclip is spot on - it's just the most useful bit of software ever! Also, it's worth noting that you can do an in-camera downconversion to SD MPEG2, which may well be worth trying. I've no idea what the quality of the conversion in that camera is, but Canon hardware is usually quite good, so it's worth a bash. You'll still need to do a software conversion to DV, but that route may provide better results than straight from the AVCHD source.
Let us know how it goes.
Dominic

BrendanK

OK - MPEG STREAMCLIP
Opened

Goto FILE - open files - chose one of the .mts files

unrecognised filetype - open anyway...

screen comes up with a timeline of sorts - no video - and on playing via mpeg streamclip, no audio either...

I enclose STREAM INFO provided by streamclip...

Stream: 00056.MTS
Path: ~/Desktop/METCALFECAMERA/card002/00056.MTS
Type: MPEG transport stream

Duration: 0:01:51
Data Size: 89.28 MB
Bit Rate: 6.75 Mbps

Video Tracks:
4113 MPEG-1

Audio Tracks:
4352 AC3 2/0, 48 kHz, 256 kbps

Stream Files:
00056.MTS (89.28 M

mooblie
mooblie's picture

MediaInfo Mac might shed some light on this?

Martin - DVdoctor in moderation. Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

dominicwitherow

Are you on a G5 or an Intel Mac? If the former, it may be something to do with the computer not being happy with AVCHD ... just a guess on my part, but possible. Try the in-camera downconversion and then try it with the resulting MPEG2 files - you should certainly be able to use them.

Just had a thought - try opening the original files in VLC Player (free from here) - if that doesn't work, then the issue is probably as I suggest above.

Dominic

PaulD

Hi
Way back when (FCP 5.1.4) the route for importing such files (HDV as well) over FW was to use a utility called DVHSCap, which Apple supplied bundled into their FireWire developer kit:
ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Development_Kits/XFireWireSDK20c.dmg

Or maybe it was AVCvideocap, also bundled.
Both are googleable for more info - as I don't know if they are applicable to a tapeless workflow.