new Canon EOS 300D digital SLR

85 replies [Last post]
cstv

so, has anyone got one of these yet then?

and doe sit live up to the expectations that we've all had for such a long time...?

mark.

g3vbl

Looks very interesting, especially the package with the lens however, as usual, we in the UK get shafted. Prices for the package at today's exchange rates (taxes?)

US $999 = £618
EU €1199 = £834
UK £999

Chris

cstv

yes, that did confuse me a bit... the euro price was much cheaper than the GBP price i saw... maybe a bit of a "booze(and camera)-cruise" is in order...

Slipperman

Hmmm. I go on hols to the States in November. Maybe, just maybe.....

JMCP

Hi

Park cameras are £845 for the 300D with the bundled lense.

Cheers John

g3vbl

Dixons are offering the camera plus lens for £900 in this morning's newspapers. An indication, perhaps, that digital SLRs are moving into the mainstream.

Chris

davepettitt

Bought one last weekend and so far my wife has shot about 150 pictures of mainly wildflowers here in Western Australia. Cost down under is AUD$1995 which is pretty fair.

Colour saturation, sharpness etc are all first class. Camera is very easy to use offering a range of modes.

Trouble is we now want to buy additional lenses etc to compliment the camera.

Dave
BTW it's mid spring and already 28C

andrewh

This really is the begining of the end for film. This summer I bought my first digital camera (Canon G5) after 20+ years of Olympus SLR use. I love it but am frustrated due to speed and inflexibility in focal length. The 300D is just the first step on the way to really affordable SLRs.

Interesting to watch the Canon vs. Nikon battle for the mainstream. Currently Canon is winning hands down but Nikon has its new JFET chip up its sleeve (Just released on D2H) that could make another step jump in cost if applied to a consumer SLR. Currently only 4M pixels but that would be plenty if no noise.

My decision on system direction will be made next year so hurry up Nikon or all my budget will go to Canon.

Andrew

cstv

Nikon are still too expensive for my liking...

Trevor Page

Bought one today. Hope I can use 3rd Party (Sigma) EOS lens as we have some to hand. Tomorrow will be fun day Sunday I think

Only thing I'm disappointed with so far is a small moulding mark in the body where your right thumb goes. But then again it might have a purpose???

The biggest + as far as I'm concerned is the ability to experiment without having to foot the cost of developing all those mistakes.

Trev

cstv

that's my main reason for wanting one Trevor... i' v been playing about with my SLR recently and i've noticed two things...

1) I now recognise most of the staff at my local ASDA's photo procceing centre...

2) I have a lot of very pointless photos that i can't bring my self to throw away!

BTW, just picked up the paper today to find an advert for minolta's latest, the Dimage Z1 - looks very fancy...

10x optical zoom
10fps progressive scan
3.2 megapixel CCD
60Hz autofocus - down to 4cm!
aperture-priority, shutter-priority or manual exposure

AND they claim it can record "SVHS quality" video sequences!!!

the really clever part that suprised me was that it does all that for £330!

looks like canon are having a knock-on effect in the market...

mark.

Trevor Page

Fun day Sunday it was - at my age you'd think I should have learned not to buy on impulse ...

The bad news (4 me anyway) is that the Sigma Lenses we already have are AF and not EF doh! so although they fit the 300D body, they don't work [Error 99]

The good news is that after playing around for most of Yesterday with the included EFS 18-55mm, I don't really care! What a great buy. Messing around with aperture priority, Shutter priority and ISO speed ratings all day. Loads of c**p images just deleted. Love the 7 point autofocus, especially the ability to manually select any of the 7 points to use.

Continuous shooting great for the pets, less of the if only I'd managed to get that expression - super. We've got a 1 year old border collie bitch (Lucy) and, unlike her predecessors she loves posing for the camera. I took 200 shots yesterday and the battery is still showing sufficient charge. That includes all the delteing, previewing, zooming and showing LCD screen to anyone unfortunate enough be in the same room

Now to see if I can find a way to fit an AF Lens to an EF mount ... any ideas anyone?

Trev

Gavin Gration

Sigma UK offer a re-chipping service to make old lenses work with DSLRs.

Sales department email: sales@Sigma-imaging-uk.com

Service department email: service@Sigma-imaging-uk.com

Telephone: 01707 329999 • Fax 01707 327822

Postal Address:

Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd.
13 Little Mundells
Welwyn Garden City
Hertfordshire AL7 1 EW

Gavin

------------------
manchestervideo.com
"Spillcheckor off"

g3vbl

Trev, I do wish you would shut up.... you'll end up costing a number of us loads of money!

Being serious for a moment, how do you find the delay between pressing the shutter release and the shutter's actually firing? I've seen figures for this in reviews but I don't really have a feel for these particular numbers. How for instance does it compare with a film based EOS? I still have all my EOS lenses and it would be good to be able to make use of them.

Chris

Chris

Trevor Page

Chris,
Funny you should mention pressing the shutter release and delays, that was something that really annoyed me about the film based EOS - particulary indoors. A couple of weeks ago we went to a 70's party and I took the film based EOS along. It had been a while since I used it, because my other half has a Sony DSC-P1 which is far more convenient these days. However the Sony's battery died so ...

I'm no expert but I have to say that with the 300D there doesn't seem to be a noticeable delay at all. When set for continuous shooting, it is quite easy to take 2 shots instead of one, but being digital it's not really that much of a problem.

Gavin, thanks for the link, I'll take a look later. The only problem I can see is that it would be a wholesale change making the film based EOS redundant. I'd like to keep it as a back-up just in case.

Trev

rkgibbons

I'm currently in the middle of a two-week "test-run" on the Digital Rebel 300D -- and so far, this baby has really impressed me.

To answer one of the questions posed: the response time of shutter button to shutter firing is almost instantaneous. As well, the camera has a nice burst mode that can pound off four shots in succession without raising your finger. (Great for action shots).

The included lens is good (not great) -- but should be fine for most shots. It FAR surpasses the crappy lenses traditionally found in digital cameras (at least the sub $1000 cameras available off the shelf at most electronic stores).

We the 6 megapixel images, you'll really need a large CompactFlash card. I just bought a 256, and can take about 70 pictures on it.

The camera's battery is substantial -- you won't be recharging it every hour like some cameras. The battery is rated at about 600 shots (400 if you use the flash 50% of the time). I've blasted through countless shots (three days, at least a hundred shots a day) and have yet to recharge it.

The image quality is outstanding. At first I was shocked by the detail of macro shots. I've been using a 5 megapixel camera for awhile, but the quality difference is really substantial.

I would definitely recommend this camera to anyone. Of course, if you have an electronics store in your area with a good return policy, just buy one and try it out.

Like I said, I'm on a 14 day trial period -- but I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping it!

AMD 4400+ Dual Core (2.2Ghz x 2), 2GB Ram, MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum MB, Nvidia 7800GTX video card, Pinnacle DC2000 component capture card, Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW 24" flat panel display, Sony SR1 AVCHD HD Camcorder, Pinnacle Liquid 6 Pro

lesreeves

Grrrr. You lot have me envious as hell!

i noticed this little baby whilst browsing a magazine at the end of August. It set my cogs going, and finally made me decide to buy a better camera than I already have. (I do own a Canon Eos - but am referring to my Kodak DX3700 digital)

Thing is, even though I did manage to source the 300D for £685inc (body), it was still a little too much for me to justify. (Plus the missus would have killed me!)

So, with my digital desires in motion, I did a little research (camears and prices) and ended up with a Canon S50 for £309.

The price appears to have been an error, since this place now has them for £309 + Vat - but still way cheaper than anywhere else. (Burridgemail.co.uk)

So far, have been quite happy with it. It does have much more control than say a Sony P10 - which my sister just bought - and Im glad I didnt!

It still does have the annoying time lag problem, but this does actually appear to be down to the autofocus rather than a digital thing. But reading above that the 300D is instant has, well, you know, made me green i guess!

Lets hope the prices continue to drop, and maybe better ones come along so there is a secondhand market. As fast as these inovations are coming, they are still not quick enough for my liking

Have fun with those 300Ds you lucky bast......

Cheers

Les

andrewh

Les,

the time lag is not just down to the autofocus. It is the way the whole camera works. Autofocus, white balance and exposure are calculated from the image on the CCD before firing. After the calculations, the CCD has to be cleared and readied to read the real exposure. This takes time. You can reduce the time by pre-focussing, using manual exposure and WB, but it is still slow.

A DSLR uses separate electronics for all these things and has a real shutter and mirror. The only lag (if you are in continuous focussing mode) should be the time to raise the mirror and fire the shutter, same as any SLR.

Andrew

Arthur.S

The Sony DSC F828 is lurking.......& looks to be EXTREMELY well specced for the money.

Jim Bird

Hi,

I'm into videoing wildlife, I have never owned a real camera, the reason I'm now thinking of a digital stills camera, is I have been considering producing a calendar.

Will the Canon EOS 300D produce good enough quality pictures, suitable for a professional calendar.

Thanks,

Jim Bird.

Trevor Page

Hi Jim,
Depends how good you are with the camera and what lens you have fitted. Ideally something with optical stabilisation but that will cost as much as the camera again and then some.

I'm getting a 75-300mm f4-f5.6 USM III lens (not new) next week. Then I'll try some wildlife photography and post the results. You should be able to judge for yourself. Also take a look at rec.photo.digital where there are quite a number of users images posted.

Trev

Jim Bird

Hi Trev,

I did think a good lens was required as picture takers are well into image perfection.

I do mostly (99%) use a good tripod with my camcorders, which I would be happy to use for stills and I also know a bean bag can come in handy for wildlife.

I have a Canon XM1 video camera which as you may know has an X20 optical zoom. These still jobs are a touch short of this and require expensive add on what.

I'm correct in assuming you'll require a forklift truck to carry the new lens?

Does every editor of digital still's require to purchase a copy of Photoshop to get the best from the camera or can one compete with just the camera alone.

And to finish off with, how good is Photoshop’s competition.

Thanks again, you don't have to answer all these questions, just my inquisitive mind on overdrive.

Jim Bird.

Chris.

I've not been in this part of the forum for a while, and just had a look to see if anyone had posted anything about this cam, if they hadn't I was about to.

I could enthuse about this camera all day. Come to mine, I want to show you it, I want you to try it out, I want us to go for a walk while you snap away, I want to see your jaw drop when we return and you see the results on the screen. The price is an absolute steal.

I bought mine at Jessops a couple of weeks ago. Got the kit with the lens for 900 and bought a Sigma 70-300 telephoto (£120) to go with it), as well as a 1GB IBM Microdrive, £149). Credit Card is now LOCKED AWAY.

The quality for the price is astounding. It's an excellent piece of kit. I've just been reading some of the new reviews in this month's photo mags and everyone seems to agree that this camera is a watershed in digital v film history. There are some niggles about the reduced features compared to it's bigger brothers, but as for image quality all the reviews I've read say it's capable of producing images of the same quality as any of the other digital SLRs around including those that cost three and four grand.

Buy this camera. Canon's EOS is now the most successful and popular system in SLR history. You'll never run out of lens options for this cam. It will work with a forty pound lens or a four-thousand pound lens.

DP Review (dpreview.com) have had to give this model it's very own forum! Minolta only get one forum for their entire range!

With my previous digital cameras, Olympus and Fuji nine out of ten images have had to be loaded into Photoshop, if only just to tweak the levels. Not so with the EOS300D.

[This message has been edited by Chris Longley (edited 21 October 2003).]

Trevor Page

Chris,
Which Sigma lens was that? and was it a special deal price or the normal price?

Jim, The lens are surprisingly light, for example, the 75 - 300 f4-5.6 USM III Canon weighs in at 480 gram. The optically stabilised version doesn't appear that much heavier and Jessops advertise it at £420.

Trev

Chris.

Hi Trevor

You will find it on Jessops site under their catalogue number SIG703004DMSCAF On the box I think it's described as Sigma 70-300 F4 / 5.6 DL Macro. The exact price was £119.90 I returned it to Jessops today and got my money back because I've decided I want to try some more flexible models, which they have ordered in for me. I'd better explain.

The Canon lens that comes with the camera is great, it's fast and it's very sharp. It's got great wide angle and usable zoom. I'll use it for portraits, weddings, Christenings etc.

The returned Sigma allowed me to take great telephoto pictures, I love the perspective compression effect of zoom lenses and I do a lot of telephoto shooting. However, at its widest that particular Sigma is 70mm (still zoomed in basically) So if I was out for a walk and I wanted to take the odd wide-angle shot, it meant changing lenses. That's something that I want to avoid, I want to carry as little kit as possible and I don't want to have to muck about outside with cold hands in wet weather taking the lens off the front of my camera.

The only option is a 'superzoom'. Something that goes from 28 up to 200 or even 300. Canon don't make one, you can get the likes of 28 to 135 or 70 to 300. They are very good, but expensive and they don't solve my change over problem. Sigma and Tamron both make 28 to 300 models. They are quite a feat of engineering and use very special glass. The Sigma is about £220 and the Tamron is around £300. What was that I said in my last post about locking away the credit card?. Well that's Christmas cancelled in the Longley House this year.

I know that I'm going to sacrifice a little bit of quality with these lenses but I intend to give both a good try. My local Jessops don't mind you wandering around outside the shop taking photos and then checking them on the computer inside, and they seem quite happy to let you exchange stuff you don't like even a couple of weeks later so long as it's in perfect nick. So if I find the quality acceptable then that's what I'll get.

Chris.

Jim, I totally agree with Trevor, forget the forklift truck image of the long SLR lens. I think my XM-1 is much heavier than the EOS fitted with a telephoto. As for Photoshop, the 300D comes with a free fully-working copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements, which is ideal as it has the parts of Photoshop that are aimed at the photographer rather than the designer.

Oh, and don't worry too much about optical image stabilisation, you're capturing a still, not a moving video and using a fast shutter speed will stop any camera shake from affecting the end result.

By the way Trevor I tried out some second hand Sigmas today and I too got 'Error 99', but I was able to take a few shots with each before the it appeared, power down the camera and then do it again.

My local Cash Generator (chain of second-hand shops) often have Canon film cameras in, worth checking out just to see what lenses are fitted.

Is anybody reading this who's still dithering about buying one? Listen, the pictures are fantastic, it's incredibly fast, it's a real SLR, there's thousands of accessories already available for it, it's made by Canon, it's digital, the battery recharges in no time and lasts forever.

Sell the wife on e-Bay and go and buy one.

[This message has been edited by Chris Longley (edited 22 October 2003).]

John Farrar

I ordered one yesterday and it may arrive today.
Having been a dyed in the wool film photographer since day 1 the arrival of the 300D has transformed my thinking over night. I hope it lives up to the hype.
Cheers
John

Trevor Page

Chris thanks for the insight, I fully appreciate your reasons for not wanting to change lens - particularly at this time of year...

BTW who was it that accused me of being over enthusiastic about this camera

John - better get ready to put your camcorder into mothballs for a few days, I'm sure you'll be happy with your new toy.

Trev

Chris.

Yeah camcorder into mothballs for sure. Get out and capture some of those autumn colours. There's a couple of things that I can say with hindsight. If you haven't bought a CF card yet, I'd say that the bare minimum for this camera is 256mb. Also, I find that the LCD screen on the back of the camera isn't that good for judging exposures on its own. It seems that it's got quite a bit of gamma correction even when set at the lowest brightness. You've really got to take notice of the metering level as well. If you set AdobeRGB as your colour space instead of sRGB beware that when viewing pics using a slideshow program on the computer that the colours won't be true, very washed out and muted. Either view in Photoshop or with the dedicated software or leave colour space on sRGB.

John Farrar

The camera arrived this morning and my first impressions are that I LOVE IT! It is easy to use, at least for the basics and the picture quality is excellent so I am sure I made the right decision. 2 weeks ago I would not have thought of buying into digital but the spec. and price of this camera has won me over.
Cheers
John

cstv

i'm not dithering... i WILL be buying one!

i was pretty sure of that when i started this thread, but now it's a dead cert!

just waiting for the funds to make themselves available... claimed the last two months worth of over time today, so i should be able to afford one by christmas, or at least the january sales...

i suppose that credit card debt will just have to be transfered to yet another 6-months interest free card...

mark,

Keitht

I already own a Canon EOS 35mm SLR so I'm half way there already. That is as far as I'm going for now. The 300D is undoubtedly a superb piece of kit and has broken an important price barrier. To me that means that the other major manufacturers will have to follow suit and prices will fall even further. I also strongly object to $999 being converted into £999, I didn't realise the US$ had reached parity with the £sterling!!
I can continue to live with the EOS50E and scanner for a year or so yet. We will be going to Hawaii in 2005 and I will be very surprised if there is not a digital SLR in the camera bag by then.... but not yet.

------------------
Regards

Keith

Regards Keith

Chris.

Keith, if you don't mind me asking, what sort of other kit have you bought? Extra lenses, flashes etc. Anything you recommend to get/leave well alone?

g3vbl

quote:Originally posted by Keitht:
I also strongly object to $999 being converted into £999, I didn't realise the US$ had reached parity with the £sterling!!

The cheapest I've found the 300D with lens is £815, whereas the cheapest US price seen is $932. At today's exchange rate this equates to £550. We in UK have been ripped off since time immemorial, presumably because we are stupid enough to pay these prices. (ThisI learned while still in short pants.... and that was a long time ago )

Chris

andrewh

There are many US phot shops that will ship to Europe. You have to pay the VAT but that is only 17% of the difference in price.

Another difference is that in the US you add sales tax (say 8%).

But basically you guys in the UK have it great compared to here in Belgium. I can buy NOTHING at a discount. 322 Euros for a Canon 420EX! 1399 for a 300D! And Dabs and the others have stopped shipping abroad. Argh!

End rant
Andrew

Chris.

They don't just hit us for VAT though, I think on 'luxury goods' we get charged Import Duty as well.

g3vbl

Indeed! There's often import duty on (cost + freight + insurance) and then vat on all of that. What really gets me though is that shippers then charge all sorts of handling fees/customs presentation fees and goodness knows what, on top of everything. Duty rates depend on the type of item and can be weird... so it's quite important to get the description 'right'.

Chris

Keitht

I ran a check on Ebay for the 300D. Most are imported from Hong Kong or the USA at around £700 to £730, and have charges of around £50 for carriage and insurance. Once you add the import duties, VAT etc I doubt it would be worth the effort.

------------------
Regards

Keith

Regards Keith

cstv

quote:Originally posted by g3vbl:
The cheapest I've found the 300D with lens is £815
Chris

where was this Chris...? or are you keeping it a secret?

cheers,
mark.

g3vbl
andrewh

I do not thnk cameras have any import duty. I have imported lots of golf components via UPS and others. The charges were very reasonable to zero other than normal shipping charges. Never tried it with camera gear yet.

However, I am inclined to agree that the price differential becomes pretty small (about the equivalent to a two month wait for the price to drop :)

Andrew

Peter Stedman

This reply below has also been put on my query a couple of days ago about Pentax Option 550.

Following my query and your comments on this board plus the other threads on the 300D camera a few days ago I made enquiries both on the web and locally for this camera. Naturally I found it somewhat cheaper in the web but surprisingly a very good price at a local store. I decided to have a look and ‘hands on’. In the past I have found that many young sales persons might be able to spout about many of the technical marvels of the gear, they can’t talk in great depth about the questions that a photographer would ask. I have also found that some places are very reluctant to even open a box, let alone put a battery and card in for a proper demo.

I was more that pleasantly surprised and delighted by the service I received from this store. The salesman was unbelievably knowledgeable about this camera. He gladly installed battery and a card and I was able to play and shot as much as I liked. I asked many quite deep questions that only a photo freak like me might ask and he came up trumps. Nothing was too much trouble for him and there was no pressure to buy even when I explained that no decisions were to be made that day.

I came home feeing this was the camera for me at reasonable price. I looked again at these threads and noticed the items about an upgrade to the firmware to be downloaded from Canon. I printed this off and returned to the shop next day showing this info to the salesman. He was really interested and hadn’t heard of this and said that he would download and install this upgrade for me as it might prove slightly difficult for me to do it myself. He was right, and it took some time to iron out the niggles that arose along the way. I was so pleased that he offered to do this upgrade for me whilst I waited.

The salesman then asked if I had other business to do in town for a couple of hours and said that he would get the battery charged for collection later in the day. I came home with my new gear (I had done a PX deal as well with my latest Compact Digital camera. Good riddance) although I had to buy a memory card as an ‘optional’ extra of course.

I photo friend called around last evening to see my new toy and here came a slightly unusual problem. We just could not install the card. We followed the illustrated instructions to the letter and ‘no go’. My colleague took the cards from his camera and they installed fine.

Eventually we solved the problem. We had to install the card in reverse to the illustrations. I think that this card – not a genuine Canon one of course, might be labelled on the different side to others so whilst we were trying to install as we thought properly, we had to put it in the other way around. Anyone else had this experience?

I certainly don’t regret paying about another £20.00 for the outfit, for I most certainly would not have got the service and help from any internet box shifter. The camera itself? Oh it feels fine and it’s nice to have a ‘proper’ SLR in my grubby hands again.

Steve Allen

I have got the Canon 10D which is the more pro and expensive version of the 300d. Its an excellent camera. The only problem I have is that my old Flash an Ez speedlite will not work with this camera it needs an EX speedlite, plus some of my old non-Canon lenses will not work either. Otherwise the camera is great I have taken over 3000 photos with it and still love it.

cheers

Steve Allen

Bruce

I have been pondering on the Canon 10D SLR - can't really afford it. Will the 300D be nearly as good?

cstv

dpreview say the spec difference is negledgable... and when you consider the price difference then it's an absolute barain!

John Farrar

I ahve not seen any pics from the 10D but I can say that the quality of the images I am getting from my 300D are stunning.
IMO
John

Keitht

Amazon currently advertising at £799 including lens.

Regards Keith

cstv

at this rate i might be able to afford one in the january sales!

busterboy

Its posts like this that really get me mad..

After selling my Fuji 601 Zoom I am now looking for an upgrade camera and after reading this thread I am going to have to buy this Canon as its too good to miss.

I hate you lot...

Happy Christmas.

[EDIT] Have now purchased the Canon EOS300D and can give this camera a 100% approval..

[This message has been edited by busterboy (edited 23 December 2003).]

harlequin
harlequin's picture

Has anyone been able to register theirs on the canon website ?

I can't gain access.

Gary MacKenzie

sepulce@hotmail.com ( an account only used for forum messages )

Thinkserver TS140 , 750ti Graphics card  & LG 27" uws led backlight , Edius 8

Humax Foxsat HD Pvr / Humax Fox T2 dvbt

g3vbl

I registered mine, but have made no use of their facilities. As I recall the registration process was less than intuitive! Old age, however, means that I cannot remember what the problem was.

Chris

Slipperman

I have a Canon EOS 100 'old' style SLR. It has a Canon EF28-80 USM lens. Do you know if this lens would fit the 300D? What would be the effect on focal length given the frame size is smaller than 35mm

(Dave, trying to save £100)

busbyvideo

Hi Gary

The registering link from the install disk does not send you to the register camera link. Could only register for CPS membership.

Got the camera yesterday, and am enjoying stills photography, basically for the first time. Cudos to all you stills guys, did'nt realise there was so much involved in it. So many controls to tweak.

Did you all get a "date" battery with the camera (small watch type thingy) as i did'nt.

What about recommended acessories?

UV filter? Lens hood? Spare battery?

Anyone know where you can download a PDF manual as i hate these small booklets.

------------------
Mike

[This message has been edited by busbyvideo (edited 06 January 2004).]

Mike

harlequin
harlequin's picture

quote:Originally posted by busbyvideo:
Hi Gary

Did you all get a "date" battery with the camera (small watch type thingy) as i did'nt.

What about recommended acessories?

UV filter?
Lens hood?
Spare battery?

no , i assume the date battery is already in the camera , mines at work , so will check tomorrow.

uv filter : probably , i haven't bought one yet

lens hood : havn't bought , i have two other eos lenses from my 500n

spare battery : no need , my battery lasts longer than i need to fill my 512meg card, but if you want one visit http://www.7dayshop.com .... they seem to be very cheap on some batteries at the moment (bought eos500n and kodak dx3700 from their special offers section)

Gary MacKenzie

busbyvideo

Hi Gary

The date battery fits into the inside of the battery holder door.

Open up the battery door and you will see the space for it. I believe it is to save date and time (and possible last used settings).

------------------
Mike

Mike

harlequin
harlequin's picture

quote:Originally posted by busbyvideo:
Hi Gary

The date battery fits into the inside of the battery holder door.

Open up the battery door and you will see the space for it. I believe it is to save date and time (and possible last used settings).

mine has it's battery . pre-fitted

Gary MacKenzie

Keitht

quote:Originally posted by Slipperman:
I have a Canon EOS 100 'old' style SLR. It has a Canon EF28-80 USM lens. Do you know if this lens would fit the 300D? What would be the effect on focal length given the frame size is smaller than 35mm

(Dave, trying to save £100)

Dave, I believe the EF lenses work with the 300D. You need to multipy the focal length by 1.6 so your lens become 45 - 128.

------------------
Regards

Keith

Regards Keith

Slipperman

Thanks, Keith

harlequin
harlequin's picture

http://www.cig.canon-europe.com/user/register.cig

is the real access point to the registration.

[This message has been edited by Gary MacKenzie (edited 07 January 2004).]

Gary MacKenzie

busbyvideo

Cheers Gary - Just registered.

------------------
Mike

Mike

Steve Allen

Just bought a lens for my 10D off of ebay it is the standard 18-50 lens for a 300D, only £89.95
There are a few of them look here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2978715082&category=4687

cheers

Steve Allen

busbyvideo

What produces the best photographs.

Parameter 1 or 2?

------------------
Mike

Mike

busbyvideo

Anyone experimented with parameters?

What produces the best photographs.
Parameter 1 or 2?

------------------
Mike

Mike

Chris.

You can't say that Parameter 1 produces better images than Parameter 2 or visa versa.

I find it depends on the subject matter, you don't always want extra sharpness with portraits as it can be a bit unflattering. On a dull day you might need more colour saturation.

More and more I'm tending to shoot RAW and processing these 'digital negatives' using BreezeBrowser or the Capture One software, adjusting, contrast, sharpness, saturation and most importantly white balance for groups of images dependent on their subject matter.

Chris.

Should add, that if it's your first few weeks with the camera, just stick with Paramater 1, your time is better spent at first concentrating on getting your exposures spot on. It's worth having the Histogram switched on for review (ideally you should get a bell-shaped graph). Once you've cracked that maybe read up about the parameters, colourspaces and RAW file conversion options.

Avoid using Adobe RGB as your colourspace, otherwise your pictures will not look right in many image viewing programs, though they will in Photoshop or Elements.

All Canon EOS EF lenses should work with this camera as well as Tokina, Sigma and Tamron AF Canon-Fit lenses, but beware of some of the older second-hand Sigmas as they need 'rechipping' to work on the newer EOS's.

I've used my XM-1 once in the last year, this digital stills thing is really starting to take over.

Posted a few snaps here taken with the 300D if anyone wants some samples
http://www.chrispix.dsl.pipex.com/

cstv

nice pics Chris!

particularly like the one of angel of the north... nice sky...

i'm going to have to buy one soon - i keep seing things i want to take pictures of but i'm too impatient to use my 35mm...

mark.

Trevor Page

Chris, I know the images are low quality for the web, but I hope you won't mind a bit of constructive criticism. I'll just look at the first 10 images for now.

Here goes:

Coast 001 As with most daytime outdoor images this time of year contrast is a bit flat, the shadows could do with a boost.

Coast 002 I would have cropped at the top of the wall just above the life buoy. The sky and the lighthouse detract from this image, The focus is the people in the forground playing chicken with the waves - great fun as I recall. If you crop to the wall then the levels can be adjusted to bring greater contrast to the active part of the image.

Coast 003 Slight camera shake? The sand is too dark for my liking.

Coast 004 Love the Cold feeling you get with this image, although still lacking a little contrast. Would have cropped the sky a little lower myself.

Coast 005 Doesn't do anything for me. Slightly tilting to the left.

Coast 006 No Contrast in Forground at all. Converging Verticals.

Coast 007 Doesn't need the sea at the top of the image. Some work needed to bring out the range of colours in the pebbles and sand.

Coast 008 Way too dark. If you adjust the top level to around 140 then reduce the highlight by 10 you get brilliant contrast and colour.

Coast 009 This is a really good base image IMO. I'd crop 10% off the top and 20% off the bottom. Then, Where the wave has no foam, carefully copy some in so that the wave is one continuous line of foam. Darken the whole image using levels then Lighten the Shadows a bit. Finally adjust the colour balance to give more Yellow & Red to the Highlights and more Blue & Cyan to the Shadows. The letterbox effect, combined with the Wave/coastline and setting Sun draw your eyes off to the right of the image, Which is where the action takes place. (even though you can't see it)

Coast 010 You could Go two ways with this image. Wack the centre of the levels slider to the left bringing out the detail that at first glance you search for but can't quite see. Or Wack the centre slider to the right (about 0.50) losing the detail but Bringing out that wonderful sky with a hint of reflection on the waves just to let you know you are by the seaside. The Ice cream sign is just visible like this which helps.

I like 2,4,7,9 & 10 best of these first 10 images. The rest for me are just average.

Trev

[This message has been edited by Trevor Page (edited 24 January 2004).]

Chris.

Trev

A lot of these were taken in fairly low-light just before and after sunset

Coast 001 - It was a very dull shot to start with and the shadows have already been boosted to bring out the steps, can't boost anymore without getting lots of noise

Coast 002 - Absolutely, it was just a snap

Coast 003 - Again a snap, hand held no tripod.

Coast 004 - I agree

Coast 006 - I think it needs to be a bigger image, it doesn't work too well reduced in size for the web, the person on the pier nearly disappears

Coast 007 - I think this was actually taken in twilight as was Coast 008

Coast 008, 009, 010 - As you say Trev, I could adjust the levels etc. but it really would take the image so far from the truth as the light was very low, that I wouldn't be happy with it.

I only ever Photoshop my images to correct one or two stops of over or under exposure. There's a line that I just won't cross with Photoshop, I won't make a dull day look sunny and I would never clone in some foam to make a wave look better. It's a personal choice. I'm appalled by the people who put in a different sky, add the moon etc.

I do however welcome your advice on cropping and composition

Trevor Page

Continuing OT so sorry ...

My other half doesn’t like working with images too much in Photoshop either. I suppose it depends on what you want to achieve. From a photographic point of view, I can understand the desire to keep a true historical record of the conditions at the time the photo was taken. But if the results are flat due to conditions, then an historical record are all those images will ever be.

However, from an artistic viewpoint, Photoshop and the digital camera are modern day tools which can be used to create mood, feeling and emotion from an image. Create is the important word here. A photographer tries to capture mood, feeling, emotion or whatever, but the digital artist uses the same tools to create them. If I visit a location some distance from home in poor conditions, I look for shots that can be manipulated to give a desired effect and emphasise features contained within the original image. It is true that replacing the sky in an image needs to be done with care. You don’t want an artificial sky to become the focal point, but you also don’t want a drab sky to make an otherwise interesting image boring.

Take your image coast 013, the silhouette of the windmill. It is a true representation of the day, with some creativity added by use of an unusual camera angle. I’d suggest that the added creativity means this image is not intended as an historic record, and as such I would take the image further, carefully removing the distracting lampposts and TV aerials, whilst trying to boost the blues in the sky. It’s only a subtle change but forces you to concentrate on the sky and the windmill, the two outstanding features of this photo.

Trev

busbyvideo

hi Guys

Anyone getting overexposed shot using the flash. Admitedly, i'm still working mainly using auto, but am i too close to the subject or just need to get used to the controls.

Its easy with video. You open the iris or change the WB and you can see it in the monitor. How do i know if my pics will be overexposed?

What about importing to photoshop. Do i asign a working RGB or leave alone?

------------------
Mike

Mike

Chris.

Mike

Most users complain of underexposure with the flash, that's a bit strange.

Use the exposure compensation. If you're shooting in Program mode hold down the Av button and turn the wheel dial on top of the camera, watch the LCD meter and you will see it change.

It's probably worth your while looking at the beginners FAQs for Canon EOS cameras
http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/

As for Photoshop, go to Edit/Colour Settings Advance and in Profile Mismatches tick Use Embedded Profile

Chris.

A really quick way to learn.

Connect your camera up to your PC and use the Remote Capture software to operate it. Make sure it's just sittig on a desk, and you have a couple of objects in the frame, one quite close the other further away.

Switch to M mode (full manual), play with the Aperture size and the Shutter speed, you'll see the results of each shot almost instantly on the monitor screen, experiment, experiment, experiment.

*** More flexible remote capture software is available from Breeze Systems http://www.breezesys.com/ trials are available

busbyvideo

Thanks Chris. Photonotes looks a good site.

I'll try connecting to PC as you suggested.

------------------
Mike

Mike

busbyvideo

Hi Guys

Getting off colour prints (compared to screen) from photoshop, yet ok using other packages, so think that printer is ok. Is it possible that there is a problem within photoshop preferences?

------------------
Mike

Mike

Chris.

Very possible, Photoshop has a very sophisticated color management system when interfacing with your printer.

In fact Espon make specific profiles for different printers and papers for use within Photoshop.

Which printer do you have Mike?

In the meantime have a look at www.computer-darkroom.com

Use the drop down menu of Featured Articles and you will see separate articles for Advanced Printing for Photoshop 5, 6, 7 & CS

[This message has been edited by Chris Longley (edited 28 January 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Chris Longley (edited 28 January 2004).]

busbyvideo

Hi Chris

I have a HP Deskjet 895CXI, and i new Epson Photo 950. The HP suffers the most from grainy printouts od off colours. Installed Photoshop elements that i got with camera, but still poor printouts.

------------------
Mike

Mike

Trevor Page

Using information provided by Chris's link above ( http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ ), the quality of print on my Epson 900 has improved considerably. I use source space = Document and Print Space profile = Epson stylus Photo 900. Intent = relative colormetric, with Black Point compensation ticked. Unchecked hi-speed in Advanced printer properties and I don't use ICM. The tutorial provides lots of info, but is difficult to follow for a relative novice. (me)

I'm really impressed by the improvement, considering I didn't think there was a lot wrong in the first place.

I think I'll experiment with ICM later to see if there are any further gains to be made.

Trev

Chris.

I'm using a Stylus Photo 900 as well, I've had some really good results using the ICC profiles for the 890 with Fuji Premium Glossy.

The trouble with all of this experimentation is that it costs us ink and paper and Epson seem to be ignoring Photo 900 owners - there are dedicated profiles for Photoshop users for all the paper types for various printers here
http://www.photoexpert.epson.co.uk/cgi-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=64864050&EXTRA_ARG=&CFGNAME=MssFindEN%2Ecfg&host_id=1&page_id=62&query=icc+profiles&hiword=ICC+PROFILES+PROFILE+

but not the 900

Trevor Page

Chris, I found this on the American Epson site. There's one for the 890, a 2MB executable.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/Search.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&action=next&query=icc+profile&idx=10&technical=technical

Don't know if it's what you want, haven't looked yet as it's still downloading (56k )

Edit oops forgot the link

Trev

[This message has been edited by Trevor Page (edited 30 January 2004).]

Chris.

I think that's probably the one I've been using Trevor

Chris.

Mike did you get a copy of Epson Photo Quicker with your printer?

I've had good results from it. The interface is completely Toys R Us and it selects all pictures in the folder for printing by default.

I've found though that you can turn that off in preferences.

If you feed Photo Quicker a folder of images that are direct from the camera (no Photoshopping) it uses the Exif Print Matching info in the files and produces very nice prints.

As for Elements, I've not enough experience with it to tell you how to get the best out of it.

I too have an HP and an Epson printer. I've found that paper designed for one performs very poorly on the other.

For example, y Epson printer makes a complete mess on HP Brochure Paper -regardless of settings.

Also, third party papers from Kodak and Fuji seem to work much better on the Epson.

[This message has been edited by Chris Longley (edited 30 January 2004).]

busbyvideo

Hi Chris

Got photo quicker 3.2 with the camera.

Have always used PhotoShop. I assumed that it was the best, so why use others. Will try Photo quick and see if there is any improvement.

------------------
Mike

Mike

Jim Bird

Hi,

I have enjoyed this post very much, is it time the start a new one as the NEW EOS 300D can not be very new now, can it?

Jim Bird

On a dial-up modem.

busbyvideo

Its new to us Jim.

At least until we can afford a new one.

I believe the interest shown in this post justifies its existence, so should continue until a new one is created. If you want to make a new post re this camera please do.

About these ICC files. Do they only work with pics taken with adobe parameters?

[This message has been edited by busbyvideo (edited 02 February 2004).]

Mike

Chris.

No it doesn't matter what colourspace your pictures are in, so long as they are opened in Photoshop, they allow Photoshop to control the printer output with great accuracy. Maybe it is time to start a new post just for the 300D as this one is veering off topic, and to save the dial up users trawling through the long pages

Jim Bird

Hi,

This has been and still is a great post, it's just that it takes a long time to load using a dial-up connection.

Jim Bird.