Sony FS700 - 4k and super slo-mo

9 replies [Last post]
infocus2
This has already been mentioned in another thread, but I think it deserves a thread of it's own.

Quote:
4K-ready
The first 4K-ready Super35mm camcorder in its class – providing an assured upgrade path to 4K acquisition and delivery - with full HD 1080p for today.The camcorder will also have the capability to produce 4K RAW 3G-SDI output via a future upgrade. 
Quote:
Super slow motion at 10x at full HD or 40x at lower resolutions
Incredible super slow motion capability of up to 10x slow motion at full HD resolution or up to 40x slow motion at a reduced resolution
just for starters........ (And built in NDs as well.)

And this is NOT the April Fool spoof!

FreeFlow
Re: Sony FS700 - 4k and super slo-mo
I am surprised at the lack of take up on this subject. While the ergonomics of this camera are the same as the FS100, there are some highly useful additions, not least the built in ND filters. I wait with baited breath to see the quality of the high frame rate recording. I cannot imagine that the SD card recording would offer enough datarate to be able to record such high frame rates at a useful compression ratio. Perhaps the camera will record in bursts using high speed internal storage before writing it to the SD cards?
FreeFlow
To answer my own question;

It appears that the camera does indeed record in bursts of 10 seconds.
PaulD
Re: Sony HXR-NX30
Hi
Sony have announced this one as well - the HXR NX30:
MAGLINK
infocus2
FreeFlow wrote:
It appears that the camera does indeed record in bursts of 10 seconds.
Almost. From the Sony release:
Quote:
The camera delivers full HD quality at 120 and 240 frames per second in a 16 or 8 second burst mode respectively.    .... Its 480 fps and 960 fps at reduced resolution are available for faster frame rate recording.
So presumably writes into a buffer for up to 16 seconds (at 120fps), then puts a normal AVC-HD recording to card afterwards. Very impressive. Either of the full 1080 resolution modes will run for 80 seconds on playback. (Assuming 24fps output.)
infocus2
I hadn't seen this one coming. It looks like the front end of the PMW350, with a XDCAM disc back, and capable of 50Mbs.

The general feeling seems to have been that Sony had their optical disc range, but it was seen much as a stepping stone to when solid state was seen technologically "ready" in terms of cost/performance. An interim technology. The expectation was that the disc camera popularities would wane as the solid state rose.

That doesn't seem to be happening. The recent survey I linked to showed the popularity of hire of cameras like the PDW700 and 800, and now a new model. What seems to be the case is that disc actually seems to be PREFERRED to solid state by a significant number of users, presumably for workflow reasons. (No data transfer or backup step needed.)

I now expect the XDCAM disc range to sit alongside the SxS range for quite a while to come. (Until the cost/GB of solid state closes with that of disc.) And from a users point of view, the fact they both use the same codec etc etc must be a good thing. 
MAGLINK
Yes for once we agree and I think they are pretty spot on as the disc based camera's give the broadcasters what they want as not everyone wants to have tapeless that you can't store or hand to the client easily.

I agree it looks like a 350 with a disc based back and if they get the price right it should sell very well. 

I was in a race tech new HD OB truck a few weeks ago and all of the VTR? machines were disc based XDCAM. 
FreeFlow
Quote:
I hadn't seen this one coming. It looks like the front end of the PMW350, with a XDCAM disc back, and capable of 50Mbs.
It is very cut down in features, with interlace only capability for instance. At £18k I am puzzled as to why anyone would consider the 680 over a 350. Given the type of application the camera will be used for, such as news gathering and lower level corporate work, the 50Mb/s feature is nice, but not overtly required on such a camera for such applications.

50Mb/s gives better footage for grading. But most footage that is graded to the sort of the degree that would require that these days is shot using progressive scan modes, which of course this camera is not capable of. Although it could be that the reason that they have included 50Mb/s 422 on an interlace camera intended for news etc is because 420 in progressive modes is not so much of an issue as it is with interlaced modes.
infocus2
FreeFlow wrote:
Quote:
At £18k I am puzzled as to why anyone would consider the 680 over a 350. Given the type of application the camera will be used for, such as news gathering and lower level corporate work, the 50Mb/s feature is nice, but not overtly required on such a camera for such applications.
I think it's down to what I said before - that whereas many had seen optical disc as a interim step towards solid-state (and likely to die away quickly when solid state took hold), in practice it's still now the PREFERRED format for many. And likely to remain so until the cost/GB of solid state rivals that of optical disc. (When solid state is no longer just for acquisiton, but for storage as well.)

In this particular case it seems that the 680 has been made to specific requirements. Read the previous link and it says:
Quote:
the PDW-680 HD video recording machine immediately welcome to the first device of the handover ceremony, Guizhou TV to become the first in the country of the PDW-680 HD camcorder users.
I can only assume Guizhou TV positively wanted a feature set of CMOS chips. 50Mbs, and optical disc recording?

And for news, that's not so silly. The 350 chipset (v the 500) is lower power, they have presumably decided they prefer the disc workflow, presumably are 1080i/25 only (so who cares about progressive?), and 50Mbs gives full broadcast approval