Sony want £180 to perform firmware upgrade on Z7

3 replies [Last post]
doolahroak

Hi Folks

I've been aware of the firmware update to fix the hour meter issue on certain Z7 cameras. I've never really had a window to send the cams away so haven't looked into until now. A sony dealer in Glasgow has been trying to find out about the process from Sony which has taken a good while.

It now turns out that Sony want £180 to perform the update and I know that others have had it done free via scanning various forums. Even the US microsite states that the update will be performed free of charge. £180 seems ridiculous to me and that would become £360 for the two cameras I have.

I wouldn't be overly bothered but I can see myself running into problems if I ever wanted to sell the cams on as I can't give a head hours figure that can be backed up by the camera.

Just wondering if anyone here has gone through the process and had any advice.

Many thanks.

Jon.

MAGLINK

Sold my Z7 and S270 as the support from sony regarding the inability of the CF unit plug in to work with FCP was dreadful, they blamed apple for it but it never worked and others had the same problems and like me had to buy clipwrap to do it.

Now with panasonic P2 HPX301/371 and every firmware update has been very smooth and free.

Neon Films
doolahroak wrote:
Hi Folks

I've been aware of the firmware update to fix the hour meter issue on certain Z7 cameras. I've never really had a window to send the cams away so haven't looked into until now. A sony dealer in Glasgow has been trying to find out about the process from Sony which has taken a good while.

It now turns out that Sony want £180 to perform the update and I know that others have had it done free via scanning various forums. Even the US microsite states that the update will be performed free of charge. £180 seems ridiculous to me and that would become £360 for the two cameras I have.

I wouldn't be overly bothered but I can see myself running into problems if I ever wanted to sell the cams on as I can't give a head hours figure that can be backed up by the camera.

Just wondering if anyone here has gone through the process and had any advice.

Many thanks.

Jon.

Hi Jon,

What is the issue that you're having? We use the Z7 but am not aware of any problems with the hours meter.

Surely they should update it for free if there is a bug in the firmware. I'd be tempted to write to Sony's UK head office.

Mark Smith

Leeds Media Services
Video Production in Leeds and Yorkshire

doolahroak
Neon Films wrote:
Hi Jon,

What is the issue that you're having? We use the Z7 but am not aware of any problems with the hours meter.

Surely they should update it for free if there is a bug in the firmware. I'd be tempted to write to Sony's UK head office.

Hi there

The issue only affected cameras within a certain serial number range. You can find some discussion on it and a link to the US Sony microsite stating free upgrade here -

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/369352-hours-meter-error.html

I think I'll give writing a go and if that doesn't work then try another avenue. To me this should be no different to a car recall i.e all work carried out for free due to a manufacturing fault.