Stylus Photo 895 hangs up system

10 replies [Last post]
Ford Prefect

Has anyone experienced the following?
Any suggestions wecome.
I recently installed an Epson Photo Stylus 895 (that's the one with the PCMCIA card reader slot)on my Windows 98SE system.
Since installation, everything works ok except that the pc hangs up on shut-down.
It reaches the "Windows is shutting down" screen then stops.
If I de-install the printer, all is ok.
I have also found that the cause is the PCMCIA card reader slot (seen as a disc drive by the system).
If I disable this drive, bingo, everything is ok!.
Except, of course, I cannot use the card reader, which is one of the main reasons I bought the darn thing!
I have tried e-mailing EPSON twice but have had no reply whatsoever.
Has anybody else had trouble getting support?
I'll keep my eyes peeled for any useful replies/suggestions.
Best Regards.

Stuart B-M

Hi,

It may be similar to a Great Many Card Readers or External "Drive" devices.
When it is connected and turned on, does it show as a symbol in the bottom right hand tray on your screen ?

If so right click on it and follow the instructions for "turning it off" prior to shutting down windows.

It sounds like you operating system does not want to shut down as a device is still running.

Kindest regards.

Ford Prefect

Hi Stuart,
Thanks for the quick response.
I don't get an icon at the bottom of the screen, the drive appears in "My computer" with a short-cut on the desk=top, so I cannot turn it off.
You're absolutely right about the system not wanting to shut down because a device is still running. If I try to put the PC into "standby", instead of shutting down, I get a message saying exactly that.
But the device is doing nothing and I don't know what else I can do.
Thanks,
Doug.

Keitht

What happens if you switch off the printer before powering down? Does the 'drive' disappear from Explorer when the printer is powered off?

------------------
Regards

Keith

Regards Keith

Ford Prefect

Hi Keith,
I've already tried that.
If I power off the printer, the system hangs immediately.
If I do CNTRL-ALT-DEL, then I get a message saying MSGSRV32 is not responding followed by the "Blue Screen"!
But you might be able to help with this:--
I've done some more investigating and if I go to the drive icon, right click, and look at properties......it gives the drive name as "garbage"user32dll and a sleep time of 248 minutes.!!
Now I have an IOMEGA ZIP drive on my system and the PCMCIA drive seems to have been recognised by the Iomega-ware, as it has the same layout and icons as for my ZIP drive.
So it looks like I have the wrong driver or a driver clash...or you might have a better idea...but how do I go about sorting this out??
Best Regards.

Slipperman

Did the reader come with its own driver, other than the printer driver (like when you can see a digital camera memory card as a drive) and is the reader visible in the 'device list' in control panel/system hanging under the USB hub?

If so you might try reinstalling the driver through that route.

Stuart B-M

Hi,

Also have you been to the Epson web-site to see if there any updated drivers ?
http://www.epson.co.uk/cgi-bin/epson-uk/driveruk.pl

Or have you tried the Epson "E-Talk" http://www.epson.co.uk/support/#

Kindest regards

[This message has been edited by Stuart B-M (edited 28 May 2002).]

Ford Prefect

Thanks Guys,
I can see the "EPSON Storage Device" in the Hardware config tables so I will try and reload the driver via that route.
I did check the Epson web site and interestingly, the CD which came with the printer has a later driver than the "latest" on the website.
I'll keep you posted.

Ford Prefect

No progress.
All drivers are correct and up-to-date.
I'm sure it's something to do with the IOMEGA software trying to recognise the PCMCIA drive.
I've had nothing from Epson support, not even an acknowledgement, so no surprises there!
I think I'll try contacting IOMEGA.
Regards.

Stuart B-M

Hi,

In my previous post i mentioned "e-talk" its an on-line Support "chat link" to epson, give that a try as well, you may be able to corner one of them

If you feel it is the iomega have you tried removing it temporarily ?
And see if it is a conflict that way.?

Best wishes.

Ford Prefect

EUREKA!!!!!!
I have just removed all Iomega progs and tools and Bingo ... the Card Reader properties appear like a floppy drive, and I can shut down with impunity.
No hang-ups.
MANY THANKS GUYS.
These fora (forums?) are certainly the place to get things solved.
I've been xxxxering about with this problem for weeks until today when I decided to go public.
Best Regards.