TRV900's 16:9 shooting mode

3 replies [Last post]
chris thomas

I'm really interested in making use of my camera's 16:9 widescreen shooting mode. I've discovered that I can import clips via my DV Raptor into Media Studio Pro 5.2, and export them again to the camera (but with a few problems previewing the clip; it doesn't work in MSP, but Windows media player plays the clip perfectly).
The trouble is that when the footage is played back on a tv screen, it is squashed horizontally to fit, making everything appear tall and thin.
While this makes my chubby stomach look great (plus my other chubby appendages), it's not good for a final widescreen output to VHS.
Christian suggested that I could put a 'squash vertically' video filter over the entire timeline. That will work, but it will take ages to render properly.
Any other (quicker) suggestions?

------------------
Chris Thomas.
chris@computer-manuals.co.uk

Chris Thomas. http://cptv.co.uk - over 30 minutes of streaming video to bore yourself with!

tom hardwick

There's been a lot of talk this very week about the TRV900's 16:9 mode, Chris. Go see trv900@onelist.com

It may change your mind about shooting original footage in 16:9 - I hadn't realised that it lost so much vertical resolution.

tom.

Unicorn

The 16:9 mode is intended for output on a widescreen TV, and created by digitally stretching the center 400-odd lines on the CCD up to 576. There's no way to letterbox it for a normal TV other than postprocessing all the files.

P4-3.06/2GB RAM/2500GB IDE/SATA. Avid Media Composer, Liquid Edition, Premiere 6, Lightwave, Vue 6, eyeon Fusion 5. DV and HDV editing/compositing.

chris thomas

Cheers, guys. I did realise that I would be losing resolution. I just wanted an easier option to get a widescreen effect, rather than slapping on two black bars over the whole project (which I've done before).

Tom, I've subscribed to that mailing list (by sending a blank email to trv900-subscribe@onelist.com), but there doesn't appear to be any way of getting back the previous posts. What have they been talking about?

Chris Thomas. http://cptv.co.uk - over 30 minutes of streaming video to bore yourself with!