Vbrick 3000 and 3200

8 replies [Last post]
DVdoctor

I wondered if anyone has any experience with the Vbrick 3200 and the 3000? I am looking at using them for a connection to a central broadcast point for our cable system. I know they are Mpeg1 so they are not up to the quality level of the Mpeg2 versions, but I wondered if anyone had any experience with the quality.

Thanks
John

DVdoctor

Does anyone know the folks at TECHCEX IN BOURNEMOUTH?
we hav e Vbrick 3000 early model that vbrick does not support anymore, and we are trying to figure out what we are doing wrong in trying to access the IP settings. We have been using hyperterminal, and can get all the other parameters to respond EXCEPT ip settings
http://www.techex.co.uk/info.asp?product=-1860847315&page=1
We emailed them but have never gotten any reply

Sharyn

TeracueUK
DVdoctor wrote:
I wondered if anyone has any experience with the Vbrick 3200 and the 3000? I am looking at using them for a connection to a central broadcast point for our cable system. I know they are Mpeg1 so they are not up to the quality level of the Mpeg2 versions, but I wondered if anyone had any experience with the quality.

Thanks
John

I would not be wasting time with these boxes they are EOL and a real pain to setup etc plus crap qsif quality plus expensive unless you buy off ebay if you want broadcast have a look at the MPEG 2 encoder from teracue.com has an option for 16:9 plus an SDI option the other more expensive solution is the H264 encoder from Darim.com

TeracueUK
dvdoctoress wrote:
Does anyone know the folks at TECHCEX IN BOURNEMOUTH?
we hav e Vbrick 3000 early model that vbrick does not support anymore, and we are trying to figure out what we are doing wrong in trying to access the IP settings. We have been using hyperterminal, and can get all the other parameters to respond EXCEPT ip settings
http://www.techex.co.uk/info.asp?product=-1860847315&page=1
We emailed them but have never gotten any reply

Sharyn

I would try a company that would actually know what you are talking off try http://www.theukoffice.co.uk/ they know the 3000 series

TechexUk
TeracueUK wrote:
I would try a company that would actually know what you are talking off try http://www.theukoffice.co.uk/ they know the 3000 series

While the UK office is a good point of call for 3000 series Vbrick support, Techex is the master distributor for the entire Vbrick product range in Europe and has experience based on all Vbricks products past and present.
Even thou official support for the 3000 series has ended in the sense of warranty’s, limited repairs while parts are still available and support is still available from Techex and Vbrick direct.

If you would like to call or e-mail us here at Techex Ltd we will be more than happy to field any enquiry with regards to our product range including any legacy devices like the 3000 series.

TechexUk
TeracueUK wrote:
I would not be wasting time with these boxes they are EOL and a real pain to setup etc plus crap qsif quality plus expensive unless you buy off ebay if you want broadcast have a look at the MPEG 2 encoder from teracue.com has an option for 16:9 plus an SDI option the other more expensive solution is the H264 encoder from Darim.com

Well I will have to assume that this is Satinder posting here!!!! (Get you facts right please before posting)

While the older MPeg 1 unit are of a lesser picture quality than the newer Mpeg 2, 4 & Windows media devices, they are still a very good solution for low bandwidth applications.
It is at this point I will point out the 3000 series Mpeg 1 unit encodes up to and including SIF resolution between 1 - 3 Mbps not just the Qsif in my honourable friends post.
With regards to setup, they are easy to manage if you read the manual and have the correct version of the config software.

In my opinion if you already own an Mpeg 1 unit, it's encode resolution is suitable for your project and above all fully working then go ahead use it!
In the worse case it fails, the parts are no longer available to repair it and you still require low bandwidth encodes at SIF resolution then stick to a tried and tested stable solution and go for the Vbrick 6000 series Mpeg 4 unit.

As for the teracue kit I wouldn't call it "Broadcast" quality, in reality it’s a Professional encoding device and I’m not saying the Vbrick kit is broadcast level either, as that’s a Professional device as well because they both capture 4:2:0 colour space at FD1 resolution.
(Same as DV tape)

If your talking Broadcast level then your in the realms of Scientific-Atlanta and Grass Valley encoders and you would capture in 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 colour space giving you a much higher picture quality.

Although since the slow but sure Broadcaster switch over to digital has destroyed the broadcasting standards, due to the low data rates used in transmission.
(Reasons - save money, more channels per frequency and most of all makes HDef look good)
It would be fair to say that even a mobile phone is now an acceptable video source for broadcast! Dose that make it a broadcast level encoder? And don't get me started on the lower resolution of 16:9

Anyway enough ranting!

If any one needs advice on encoding solutions please feel free to call on us, We do have 33 years experience and we are a distributor for some of the bigest names in the industry.
http://www.techex.co.uk

DVdoctor

HI techex
THANKS FOR YOUR OFFER TO HELP
We had emailed your firm directly several times, and never got a reply, that is why we had posted here to see if someone on these boards might know someone at the company.

We want to use the vbrick units for a modest bandwidth feed from remote live video production to a modulator for broadcast over a cable tv system. we have a 3200 and a 3000, and the basic problem has been that we cannot seem to be able to get the 3000 to accept commands or respond to any attempt to change the IP ADDRESS. In the email to your support group we have attached the logs from the hyperterminal sessions.

Again thanks for you help

Sharyn

TechexUk
dvdoctoress wrote:
HI techex
THANKS FOR YOUR OFFER TO HELP
We had emailed your firm directly several times, and never got a reply, that is why we had posted here to see if someone on these boards might know someone at the company.

Again thanks for you help

Sharyn

I am shock to hear that! We have a policy to endeavour to answer all inquiries regardless of the geographic location or product age.
I can only assume your e-mail was lost in the system with one of our server outages or caught incorrectly by a spam filter.
I have replied to your latest e-mail myself, with a little luck you will be back up and running soon.

DVdoctor

I wanted to make sure that I followed up on this post. It is easy to think highly of companies when their products work, and things are simple. The truly outstanding companies are those that go out of their way resolve issues that are a lot more difficult. TechexUK and VBrick US spent a lot of time and energy helping us work thru the issues, and fixed all the problems. They were under no obligation to do so, but they did..

CLEARLY THESE ARE COMPANIES THAT YOU CAN DEPEND ON AND TRUST

Once again, THANKS,

Sharyn