XDCAM 330K HD lens or something else

4 replies [Last post]
ClaireTall

I'm being adviced that the lens that comes with the 330K is not very good and that I should buy it without a lens and use an half inch SD lens until some decent HD lenses come out.

Has anyone compared the 330 with different lenses.

My intention is buy a decent two thirds HD lens when they come out and use it on the 450 or the 330 with convertor depending on what I'm doing and just using the 330 with a cheaper lens for the wide shot when I do a two camera job.

Any thoughts.

Studio with green screen for hire near Gatwick Airport.
Kit hire facilities on site.
excelsiorstudios.co.uk

simond83

Don't go for the camera with lens, get your own. A Cannon HD lens should do the trick. If you have a look for the stuff written by BHP Sport who filmed the recent G4 challenge (you can find it on the sony biz site), you can see after doing a few tests, they could tell quite quickly the lens' wern't up to scratch.

Si

ClaireTall

Thanks Simon, I'm going for the half inch SD for now and when I sell my old kit I'll go for the Canon HJ 17x6.7 which hopefully will last me for the rest of my working life and I'll use on my 450 as well.

I found a good site for XDCAM users:-

http://xdcam.com.au/modules/news/

excelsiorstudios.co.uk

SimonMW

The lens that comes with the 330 is not good. Very well built, but useless in operation.

The HJ17 is a good choice, though a shame Canon don't do a slightly wider angle 2/3" HD lens (say, around 5.5mm) due to the magnification factor when you put them on the XDCAM HD.

ClaireTall

I have to say that £600 lens (new) that I bought with it is a giant thing YH19x6.7 KRS, havn't had a chance to test it yet but filming a chefs competition next week with lots of nice colours so should be able to see how it performs.

Can't believe that the HD HJ lens at £9000 is going to be 15 times better.

Sony are doing a good deal on XDCAM with 0% lease purchase at the moment so my total outlay up front with selling my two DSR130's and buying the DSR450 and the F330 has only been around £2500 net of VAT.

The F330 looks better than the versions I've sen at shows, part black and part grey, not the horrible silver they originally were going to do, it's much heavier than I though it would be.

excelsiorstudios.co.uk