3 Cinematographers, 6 DSLRs, 192 Sleepless Hours - Our time in India!

5 replies [Last post]
FX Films
FX Films's picture

Hi all

Recently I had the pleasure of filming alongside the fantastic 'Reel Vision' and 'Jeff Wood Visuals', when we went to India for a week to film a HUGE wedding (all the locations featured in 'that' 'City of Lakes' clip by the way)

I won't go into detail about how little sleep we got and how much we had to film...it scares me to even add it all together. But to put into perspective, 2 of the more memorable days we worked from 10am to 6am the next day. I kid you not.

Jeff very kindly sifted through the footage to quickly compile a clip, just for our own benefit more than anything (Mike will be attacking the main edits in due course, red bull on the go!!!)

He has deliberately not included alot of the BTS footage of us drinking + partying in the evening of course ;)

http://vimeo.com/32993630

cheers

johnd

I love the outfits, the bright colours look wonderful - you have virtually produced a 'Visit India' video

sleepytom
sleepytom's picture

ahh the digital camera revolution, now everyone with a phone is a cameraman, and apparently everyone who shoots video on a dslr is a cinematographer!

:P :)

You can contact me at http://tombassford.org
People interested in live production might like to check out http://atemuser.com 

FX Films
FX Films's picture

sleepytom, sorry you feel we must conform to another technical name/label...we're just having fun in this industry my friend, and we can all call ourselves whatever we like...

johnd, you're telling me! I've never seen so many colours/locations/lights...and curries all day + night, mmmm!

doolahroak
FX Films wrote:
sleepytom, sorry you feel we must conform to another technical name/label...we're just having fun in this industry my friend, and we can all call ourselves whatever we like...

johnd, you're telling me! I've never seen so many colours/locations/lights...and curries all day + night, mmmm!

Looks great. I would love to do something like that but with the very strict provision that I didn't have to go near the edit :)

Ben Longden

Not until an edit script was made......:eek:

By the way, "Slumdog Cimematographer" is a great name and title for the clip, which was bloody good.

As an aside, and in NO way commenting on this thread, or the subject in this thread, Ive noticed a lot of folks equate quantity of vision shot with quality. Surely most folks investing in filming anything have some sort of shooting plan made out, even if its not quite down to the scene by scene shooting script.

Harking back to the days of cine, would folks have shot so much? I do not think so. The camera operators/DoPs/directors and company would be all too aware of the cost per minute of film. Therefore, quality was preferred over quantity.

Ive had stills snappers come to colleagues and brag they shot 3000 frames at a wedding. Then their boss turns to me quietly and says "yeah... but none of them are usable".

Is it me, or are folks trying to equate the quality of their work as an indication of the quality of their work?

Apologies for hijacking the thread.
back to India.

The clip is great. Lots of sliders used... time lapse... How about a thread on "how we did it" ?